Sunroof drains - help needed

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
What luck... At the same time I received the VW class action letter about the leaky sunroof drain issue, I had some water on my passenger side a-pillar today from heavy rains. My passenger side drain appears to be not draining properly - but I can't find the drain nipple everyone has described. Anyone have a pic of it on passenger side for a '06 Jetta?

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Nope, not really. I mean, where do they drain to?
I can see the drain holes in the sunroof, but cannot locate where the tubes ultimately exit. I've read the rears terminate somewhere near the rear wheelwells, and the fronts either near or along the front edge of the door jambs, or behind the plastic wheelwell liner, or near the firewall, or near the hood hinges. or ....???. I'd rather not tear apart the wheelwell liners if they aren't behind there. If someone knows where they are, I'd really like to see a pic pointing them out - I'm a visual kind of guy.
Joe_Meehan said:
There should be two on each side (one for each corner.) I hope that helps.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
GENTLY run some weed eater line down each drain till it comes out under the car............

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Google "Vw Sunroof Drain"

The first link includes pics.

The front drains are in the front of the door jamb just below the upper hinge. You will see a black nipple type plug with a squished flat end. That is the drain. The fact that it is squished flat is why the drains get clogged with debris and overflow.

Most people will trim off the flat section so the drain is wide open so any debris will flow out.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Sunroof drain for A5 06 Jetta

Fixmy59bug said:
Google "Vw Sunroof Drain"

The first link includes pics.

The front drains are in the front of the door jamb just below the upper hinge. You will see a black nipple type plug with a squished flat end. That is the drain. The fact that it is squished flat is why the drains get clogged with debris and overflow.

Most people will trim off the flat section so the drain is wide open so any debris will flow out.
This is a picture for the A4 sunroof drains. The A5 drains do not exit in the door jamb.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I wonder if this changed as a result of that problem of ice jams deforming the doors?

CADtechTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 A5 Jetta 5 spd Pkg 1
Fixmy59bug said:
Really?

I could have sworn I saw my drains there. So where are the MkV drains located?
^^ ditto... haven't attacked this yet, and really want to know where the drains are located!