Sunroof Drain Hose Repair?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The Bentley manual states for access to the rear drain hose terminations in the Golf, the rear bumper must be removed. You may be able to reach up with your hand and clean out the nipples, though.

--Nate

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
I usually have my car in my garage, but last December it was parked outside overnight during a hard very cold rain.

The next morning I opened my driver's side door to find the floor all wet and water dripping down from the headliner at the joint of the A pillar.

I checked the sunroof drain line on that side and thought it was OK, I gently pushed about 2 ounces of water into it with a syringe. The nipple wasn't clogged and all of the water appeared to come out.

So, I wondered if I had a leaking windshield..took it to a shop and they poured a pint or so of water at my sunroof drain and it came rushing into the driver's side at the hood latch.

Any thoughts on why the headliner was wet the first time, but the water appears to be coming out in the latch area? Do you think the line is disconnected or could it be ruptured at some point? Any thoughts on repairs?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
MaryP said:
(snip) Any thoughts on why the headliner was wet the first time, but the water appears to be coming out in the latch area? Do you think the line is disconnected or could it be ruptured at some point? Any thoughts on repairs?
__. Very similar to mine, Mary. There are so many places that it can leak and so many place that the components can become disconnected. Are you sure that the rubber drain next to the door hinges are open? I had to snip a little "triangle" out of the "duck's bill" so that mine would drain consistently. If it backs up, the water will find some place to get out. Mine dripped through the dome light area of the headliner, but I think it was wet all along the front.

Brockflock

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TDi New Beetle
Here are some thoughts, understand that they are formed from my personal experience only:

Our leak resulted in wet rear seats. All said and done, we had a front drain that was clogged. So our water was backing up all the way across the roof until it came out somewhere.

Now, you have to go back and think about where the car was parked when it leaked. Was it exactly level front to back and side to side? I would check all 4 drains. It only leaked the one time? I am assuming you have exposed it to other water over the winter after December.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

Edit: What do you mean by "driver's side at the hood latch"? Isn't that front and center? (I don't know Jettas.)

Last edited:

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
The latch for the hood is located on the left wall of the driver's side near the door frame about 4 inches above the floorboard.

It was a one time event, because I keep it garaged and I have it taped up right now. :mad:

It was parked downhill with the front end down and to the left...the driver's side drain would get most of the rain.

I know the driver's side drain is the problem, because all of the water that the windshield people pored into that drain came out the hood latch on the driver's side. (they caught it with a towel as it came out, so it wouldn't flood my floorboard)

The water that I pored into that drain came out the nipple freely, I just didn't pore enough evidently. I pored less than a cup. I'm just guessing at this point.

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
mrGutWrench said:
__. Very similar to mine, Mary. There are so many places that it can leak and so many place that the components can become disconnected. Are you sure that the rubber drain next to the door hinges are open? I had to snip a little "triangle" out of the "duck's bill" so that mine would drain consistently. If it backs up, the water will find some place to get out. Mine dripped through the dome light area of the headliner, but I think it was wet all along the front.
Maybe I should just snip off the nipple as others have done. It appeared to run freely out the nipple, but I only pored less than a cup through there. When the windshield people did it, they used a lot more and I was watching it come out the hood latch. I didn't look to see if any was still making it's way to the door drain. I guess that would have let me know if it was unattached vs. a hole????

MaryP

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI, GLS, 5 speed
I decided to pull all the electrical tape off the sunroof and check it out again. :rolleyes:

I am just not sure what's going on. I pored a quart of water in that darn drain and every bit of it came out the drain at the nipple. None came into the driver's compartment anywhere that I could tell.

I guess I am just going to let it go for a while and see what happens. My car is garaged at home and I can park somewhat on a downslope at work, so maybe I'll be ok. :cool:

Brockflock

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TDi New Beetle
Finally! They figured out there was a problem!

Today, I received a letter from the "WATER INGRESS SETTLEMENT" suit.

So now, I have to produce the documents showing the expenses incurred by VW's crack design team, regarding a leaky sunroof!

So do the initials, VW stand for how to rate their customer service: Very Weak!

Hey VW, how disappointing that you refused to admit your shortcomings until you saw that even Toyota can't escape incompetence!

LOL! I hope this costs them so much, that they decide to do a better job of remedying their issues much more quickly!

I won't hold my breathe!

pugman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SW, 2003, Reflex Silver
OK, I got two of these letters (we have two '03 Jetta TDI's). The wife's car is having this problem but mine has not. Should I take mine in as well for what ever the fix is or should I keep as far away from their "crack design team"? :rolleyes:

longhair61

TDI
03 GOLF 1.9TDI. 4dr
Was reading this thread and yesterday i pulled my drivers door boot out to check n clean it never thinking the fkn drain line was so short that boot came off Great now i have to take fkn door off and blah blah what a bunch of crap , *** they been making auto's how long now
You would think the Dumb Ask Engineers would have just made the inlet hole With a screan type of plug in top of hole for easy quick maintance but no just let what ever can slide down there in ... Like mine was clogged with pine needles . Had there been a grated plastic removable plug there none of this debree would get in Duh , i am so pissed the project i have now getn this boot back on line ( top n bottom )

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I usually have my car in my garage, but last December it was parked outside overnight during a hard very cold rain.

The next morning I opened my driver's side door to find the floor all wet and water dripping down from the headliner at the joint of the A pillar.

I checked the sunroof drain line on that side and thought it was OK, I gently pushed about 2 ounces of water into it with a syringe. The nipple wasn't clogged and all of the water appeared to come out.

So, I wondered if I had a leaking windshield..took it to a shop and they poured a pint or so of water at my sunroof drain and it came rushing into the driver's side at the hood latch.

Any thoughts on why the headliner was wet the first time, but the water appears to be coming out in the latch area? Do you think the line is disconnected or could it be ruptured at some point? Any thoughts on repairs?
If water backs up it's going to spill over the tracks and channels in the sunroof.

For leaks in the rear also consider the hose to the rear wiper. There's a stupid connector up around the C pillar that will let loose and leak all over the headliner in the rear, making it look like a problem with the roof drains in the rear. And then there's also the hose going to the nozzle itself, popping off and sending fluid out in to the inside of the hatch (and helping corrode the lock motor.

Regarding the rear drains, yes, you can reach up behind the bumper and tickle them. It's kind of messy, having stuff dribble back down your arms and all, but at least you can see if you're getting anything out. I discovered that one rear drain hose popped out from the inside, leaking in behind the tail light (passenger side)- you can reach in there and stuff it back inside the drain nipple.

loewenwolf

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon - Manual Trans
Reseating the front sunroof drain hoses

So, I went and purchased some 3/8 in. O.D. tubing and brass tube inserts, thinking I could do the same repair as in the link I mentioned earlier (http://www.volksbloggin.com/2008/01/21/guest-how-to-replace-sunroof-drain-hose/). This was similar to pruzink's suggestion so I thought snaking 3/8 in. hose would be easy to do. BUT...

Before I tried to retrofit a new hose inside of the factory tube I came up with an idea to get the factory tube back on properly. This of course *without* having to take the entire interior of the Golf apart to expose whatever part of the A pillar I would be able to see (if it runs inside of the A pillar, how would you see it anyhow?).

What I came up with worked, so I figured I would post it here. You may want to try this approach before pulling your headliner, glovebox, etc. to do a more extended repair. It was simple... I snaked the same wire down the hole from the sunroof that had pushed the tube out of alignment originally (after removing the rubber nipple at the lower end of the drain hose - near the front door hinges). The wire came out the bottom and I tied a 1/4" I.D. washer to it. I pulled the wire, washer, and factory drain hose back up towards the sunroof and moved it around a bit as I did so - tugging a few times at different angles in an attempt to get it to fit back on the sunroof drain. Next I gently pushed the wire back out and removed the washer, snaked it through the rubber nipple and tied it back on again. It can be difficult to get the rubber nipple back on the drain hose because the hose is so short (as pruzink described above). While pulling on the wire and washer, I kept my finger in the hole with the rubber nipple, attempting to guide it into place on the flexible hose. After one attempt on the passenger side and two attempts on the driver side I had the hoses back on/in their original factory installed locations.

My test to make sure they were back together (and how I knew I had to do the driver side again) was to pour water into the sunroof drain hole while holding the nipple shut. Once the drain hose fills up and you get enough water in the reservoir, it starts to overflow to the opposite side of the vehicle. Then, you release the nipple and a rush of water should come out. When this works without other leaks elsewhere in the system you have the hoses back where they should be. ;)

It is my understanding that the factory installation of the drain hoses is not a particularly tight seal. So, you may still have some leakage during especially rainy weather.

This repair was for the front drains only. The rubber nipples for the rear drains are more difficult to get to and (from what I hear) the rear drains are less prone to clogging.

Of course, if you are having problems with water from the sunroof coming into the vehicle (esp. the light above the visors) I would recommend squeezing the front nipples before doing anything else. If they are clogged and water comes rushing out after you clear the nipple, then everything else is fine. Don't change a thing. My reasoning for this is if the rest of the system is tight enough to hold water until you squeezed the nipple then you probably don't have any significant leaks elsewhere in the sunroof drains. Good luck and stay dry! :)
After scouring endless forums, I was soooo pleased to find this hack. I had awkwardly done the driver's side just by pulling the tube out of the hole in the body, and jamming a piece of short tubing between the tube and the grommet and (fingers crossed) it continues to work. But this hack, like is somehow exactly the solution I was looking for. Hope it holds up, and will test it regularly! Moreso amazing, I am replying to your post from nearly 15 years ago to which I say, when you make an exceptional discovery, share it with the world as it continues to help! Cheers!!!

annamartino

TDI
you need a very short piece (couple inches) of 5/8" OD hose X 3/8" ID to fit over the 3/8" piece. The 5/8" will give you a nice snug fit when you push it into the rubber nipple. It will end up longer than what you had to start with, but you need the extra length to work outside of the A Pillar hole and there is enough room to squeeze everything back inside.

Last edited: