sunroof acting strange

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
This afternoon while I was waiting at a stoplight my sunroof started opening and closing by itself. The control knob was not touched. Roof stayed opened, so I turned the knob to slide the sunroof open then put it back in the closed position and it returned to the closed position.

This has happened now on several different times now.
Has anyone else have had their sunroof do strange weird things?

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Not on the 06 my wife drives, but the 06 Jetta we have at my office tends to do the randomly opening sunroof routine. (it's one of the pair in my avatar) Folks at the office tell me it occasionally pops the trunk on its own too. I've always attributed it to the installer in a hurry who installed the vehicle tracking device in said vehicle.

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
There was a time when my sunroof was randomly opening on its own. It's the control knob. Next time it does that, just to confirm, press the knob without turning it, the sunroof should close back.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, I'll pass that along to the office secretary who drives it. (I won't drive the office 06 until it gets a new timing belt. It used to be my daily, hence the twins in my avatar)

Diesel Larry

TDI
'09 Jetta
I've had mine open while driving down the road two or three times in the last 6 months. One morning I found it open, but wasn't sure if I just left it that way (I think not). This is the tilt option that opened up, not the slide.

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
My wife's '05.5 opens on its own occasionally. It seems to happen more often when going around turns, so I figured it is two wires getting crossed.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
On my original post I forgot to say that its the tilt option that's opening, just like Diesel Larry post mentioned.

The next time it occurs I'll press the knob like Relumalutan suggested in his post.

I'll update post if it happens again.

pebjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta; 2015 Golf S
Finally got a chance to check out the switch for sunroof. I didn't want to spend the money on a new one, so I pulled the switch and took it apart. There was greasy type film inside over the spring contacts. I cleaned the switch thoroughly, and bent the finger contacts just slightly to give it more pressure on the contacts.
So far, its been working great.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Finally got a chance to check out the switch for sunroof. I didn't want to spend the money on a new one, so I pulled the switch and took it apart. There was greasy type film inside over the spring contacts. I cleaned the switch thoroughly, and bent the finger contacts just slightly to give it more pressure on the contacts.
So far, its been working great.
did the same thing to my window switch. stopped working right. soldered all the tracts and still works. why buy if it can be fixed.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
did the same thing to my window switch. stopped working right. soldered all the tracts and still works. why buy if it can be fixed.
Thanks for the heads up. My sister now owns my former company car, so if it starts acting up for her, I'll see what I can do to correct the issue.