Sunroof acted funny today

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
It was stuck between full tilt and no tilt. Each knob position change resulted in it trying to move, but it went back to the between position. Finally, I pushed down on it when it moved and it stayed down. More knobbing resulted in more or less normal action. I left it closed just in case.
Anyone else have this happen?

b554me

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Turbocharged purchased in Costa Rica.
I’ve heard of stuff like this, not specifically this but I’ve heard of sunroofs opening and closing on their own, or just funky happenings. I think the contacts on some of the s/r switches get really worn. You may want to check that and it could be as simple as cleaning the contacts or buying a new rheostat. I got this from another site.

The contact strips on mine had some obvious wear points. I used the eraser on a nice new mechanical pencil and erased carefully over these strips in a circular motion ... clean your eraser on a sheet of paper as you go ... mine had a lot of black junk on it as I cleaned.

Now, grab your Q-tip and get some isopropyl alchol on the tip. Wipe this in a circular motion. You're done with the back.

Now turn your attention to the oxidized mess of contacts inside the rotary knob.

Carefully clean them with the eraser as well -- wiping occassionally on a piece of paper. You'll be amazed how much better it looks after you're done (I forgot to take a picture...). Once erased, wipe a clean Q-tip with alcohol over the surface and let dry. I also decided to use my fingernail to GENTLY bend the contact wires up closer to the electrical contact strip. It took a few tries, as I was being very careful, but it ended up working.

BRUSSELS BELGIAN

Old Whig
TDI
1997 Passat TDI
Be Careful

I was sitting in my driveway one nice morning and said,"rather than tilt, I think I'll open the roof all the way." As it went back, it caught the plastic accordian side pieces, shattered them, and rained pieces of plastic on my lap!:eek: Grabbed my cell phone, and called Fahrvergnuegen...piece of $#it.:)

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Thanks for all the input. The manual indicates a manual crank method is available. Hope I don't have to use it though.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Mine intermittently, but very rarely, will stop half-way when closing. But opening it all the way (or to where it auto-stops if you don't force it all the way) and then closing it again has always worked. And it hasn't done that in months. Gremlins.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
volkswagendude said:
Just get the slightly better quality W8 one, and call it a day. Plus it's WAY cooler too! :cool:
Are you saying the W8's had a different sunroof? How is it different? Pics by chance?

B5.54me, Thanks for the info on cleaning the switch, I hope I never need it, but now I know where to find it.

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
KALaBenne said:
Are you saying the W8's had a different sunroof? How is it different? Pics by chance?

B5.54me, Thanks for the info on cleaning the switch, I hope I never need it, but now I know where to find it.
The switch and surround. Not the sunroof itself. But you knew that right? :p

I don't have a sunroof on my car even though it's a GLS. Specially ordered it that way from the dealer, because I'm tall. However, going back to the W8 overhead console, the light switches that I installed on mine are indeed of much better quality than the previous OEM ones. MUCH crisper feeling. I've also had people with sunroofs report that the sunroof dial switch, aside from its back lit lighting on the dial :cool: on the W8, it is also of better quality than the stock item on yours.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
volkswagendude said:
The switch and surround. Not the sunroof itself. But you knew that right? :p
Ok, Yeah I knew about the switch and surround. It's somewhere down the list after BS upgrade, GPs, RC2......:D

I had no idea you could get a GLS w/o the sunroof, I would bet that makes yours one of a kind.

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
KALaBenne said:
Ok, Yeah I knew about the switch and surround. It's somewhere down the list after BS upgrade, GPs, RC2......:D

I had no idea you could get a GLS w/o the sunroof, I would bet that makes yours one of a kind.
Yes sir she sure is! ;)

Wetworks rear spoiler, 18 inch mags, NO sunroof, Leather interior, OEM HID's(W8 of course), in Blue Graphite(or is it Graphite Blue :confused: ), RC 2, etc..

Would you like a pic of her? Even if still with chain? :D

2000m2

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
I have had that exact same thing happen twice with my sunroof (stuck between tilt and fully shut). Both times, the car was parked while it was really hot and once the car cooled down, it closed as it normally does.

I figured maybe the car knew more than me about how to best cool itself... :D

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW
As much of a hassle that the sunroofs are I would never have a car without one, especially at night with clear skies and bright stars.

volkswagendude

Veteran Member
TDI
None for now...
Route 66 said:
As much of a hassle that the sunroofs are I would never have a car without one, especially at night with clear skies and bright stars.
Unless you were really tall....

But then you could always go SUV, and then height doesn't really matter as much anymore.

We were just comparing both my brothers and buddies A4 Jetta TDI's in my driveway the other evening. One has sunroof, the other doesn't. For anyone over 6.4, the head room difference is a night and day difference big time! And a non sunroof equipped Passat? The FRONT SEAT headroom (forget rear seat headroom on the sedan...)headroom is best described like that of a pick up trucks!

But I agree on the ambience of a sunroof nevertheless. On a nice warm night, with Aurora Borealis making a rare appearnce in the night, I'll take out my boxy shaped Alpina BMW, with its sunroof full open(boxy shapes of yesteryear did not decriminate as much to us lowly tall types :rolleyes: ) , put some cool tunes on, and driiiiiiive...