Sunoco was "Biodiesel" today in Pennsylvania

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I purchased fuel for the second time in my new 2010 Golf TDI and the Sunoco pump had a new blue Biodiesel sticker. It said 5% or less. There was no sticker last time and I was considering going to AMERIgreen down the road a couple of miles, but the Sunoco is the most convenient location near my home. I was happy to see the biodiesel sticker at Sunoco.

I wonder if they really are going to phase in the legal requirement for Biodiesel in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know more?

Rule10b5

TDI
2010 Golf
Huh, that's pretty cool. Just out of curiousity (I'm in Chester County), which Sunoco? The closest one to my house that sells diesel (of any sort) is in Avondale. I'll have to swing by to see if they have biodiesel. I've been filling up at the BP on Rt. 1 and Rt. 452 near the Granite Run mall because they have 47 cetane, and it's on the way to work, but if Sunoco's starting to carry biodiesel I'll definitely have to check it out.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I'm in Chester County too. I have 2 Sunoco stations close by in Exton. I use the one near the intersection of Rt100 and Rt113, which is also close to the entrance of the PA turnpike.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
ksing44 said:
I purchased fuel for the second time in my new 2010 Golf TDI and the Sunoco pump had a new blue Biodiesel sticker. It said 5% or less. There was no sticker last time and I was considering going to AMERIgreen down the road a couple of miles, but the Sunoco is the most convenient location near my home. I was happy to see the biodiesel sticker at Sunoco.

I wonder if they really are going to phase in the legal requirement for Biodiesel in Pennsylvania. Does anyone know more?
I had talked to a fuel supplier here in WV and asked about bioD. At that time he mentioned PA was going to mandate a certain percentage of bioD in all their diesel fuel.So, its sounds like its coming soon.

dweisel

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
cant go wrong with a 5% blend or less, its perfect for added lubricity for the ULSD fuels.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
My local independent place said that as of May 1st 2% bio was mandatory and few fuel terminals had it yet.

First they screw up the gas with ethanol. They need to retrofit the pumps because it eats the internals - but don't care about our cars.

Then there are cars that set (like my antique cars) that Ethanol is really bad for (really draws moisture which causes problems).

Lots of small engine folks have been having problems with the Ethanol fuel. Think chain saws, weed eaters, etc.

I realize there are pretty religous Biodiesel folks here. Often fighting engine issues (I'm sure a coincidence). But I wanna have a choice!!

I know "Gov't is your friend!"

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
I'm going to be taking a road trip through PA at the end of May. Can I safely use this new fuel, or might it cause problems?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
sgoldste01 said:
I'm going to be taking a road trip through PA at the end of May. Can I safely use this new fuel, or might it cause problems?
VW allows 5% or less. I think the PA mandate is for 2%, so yes you are safe. In addition, many say the biodiesel may be preferable, since the newer ULSD fuel may actually be improved with the added lubricity.

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Just saw this article concerning the Pennsylvania biodiesel mandate.

Actually, it's a little concerning to me. I'm thinking of getting a TDI in the very near future, and planning to keep it for at least 9-10 years. If this article is accurate AND if Pa. biodiesel production continues to increase, I could be looking at a situation where Pa. legally requires stations to sell a biodiesel blend that the manufacturer says should not be run in the vehicle....

http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/article.jsp?article_id=3178

Pennsylvania biodiesel mandate to take effect

By Erin Voegele

Web exclusive posted Jan. 21, 2009, at 10:50 a.m. CST

Pennsylvania Gov. Edward Rendell announced Jan. 15 that the state has met the first in-state biodiesel production threshold of 40 MMgy. As a result, within one year every gallon of on-road diesel sold in Pennsylvania must contain a minimum of 2 percent biodiesel.

Pennsylvania House Bill 1202, which was signed into law July 2008, established a state renewable fuels standard, which requires biofuels percentage increases to occur as in-state production for biodiesel and ethanol reach certain levels.

Under the legislation, all retail diesel fuel sold must contain:
  • 2 percent biodiesel once in-state production reaches 40 MMgy
  • 5 percent biodiesel once in-state production reaches 100 MMgy
  • 10 percent biodiesel once in-state production reaches 200 MMgy
  • 20 percent biodiesel once in-state production reaches 400 MMgy
“The 2 percent biodiesel mandate will now become a reality because our state's biofuel producers have reached the first critical threshold established by the alternative energy law I signed last summer,” Rendell said in a statement announcing that the threshold has been reached. “Pennsylvania's producers can now manufacture 40 million gallons of biodiesel a year right here at home.”

Erie, Pa.-based Lake Erie Biofuels LLC said the company is “ready, willing and obviously able” to fulfill the state’s B2 mandate. The biodiesel producer has a production capacity of 45 MMgy, and was critical in reaching the threshold production level.

According to Biodiesel Magazine’s plant list, in addition to Lake Erie Biofuels, there are five other Pennsylvania-based biodiesel producers. These producers include: United Biofuels Inc., Keystone Biofuels Inc., Biodiesel of Pennsylvania Inc., Agra Biofuels Inc., and United Oil Co. The combined production capacity of these six biodiesel refineries is 77.5 MMgy.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
jkp1187 said:

Actually, it's a little concerning to me. I'm thinking of getting a TDI in the very near future, and planning to keep it for at least 9-10 years. If this article is accurate AND if Pa. biodiesel production continues to increase, I could be looking at a situation where Pa. legally requires stations to sell a biodiesel blend that the manufacturer says should not be run in the vehicle./quote]

I wouldn't let that concern me too much. I think I read somewhere that VW had approved up to 7% bio for European use. Your in Pittsburgh..............slip into WV and buy your fuel if PA bio content gets to be a concern for you.

Dweisel

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
Both Mass. and Maine are supposedly progressive states in the environmental area, but I don't know of any B5 available in either. I get mine in "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire. ;)

I have extra 5 gallon cans that I use to fill up at home if I am going the wrong way.

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
dweisel said:
jkp1187 said:

Actually, it's a little concerning to me. I'm thinking of getting a TDI in the very near future, and planning to keep it for at least 9-10 years. If this article is accurate AND if Pa. biodiesel production continues to increase, I could be looking at a situation where Pa. legally requires stations to sell a biodiesel blend that the manufacturer says should not be run in the vehicle./quote]

I wouldn't let that concern me too much. I think I read somewhere that VW had approved up to 7% bio for European use. Your in Pittsburgh..............slip into WV and buy your fuel if PA bio content gets to be a concern for you.
No, I wouldn't worry too much about 7% or even necessarily 10%, but I'm a little nervous about 20% having a negative effect with the DPF regen.... Heard that someone running 100% Biodiesel had some issues with it.

Oh well, that'll be years ahead, still, just trying to think long-term b/c I'll be buying it new....

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Hello local VW TDI owner

Philpug said:
I've been getting my diesel in Exton too but closer to 100/30
Yes, there are a few other diesel stations in Exton down by the 30/100 crossroads. Actually the other stations are always less expensive than the Sunoco station I use, but I started at Sunoco and it is the closest to my home. I liked that there was access away from the main roads, so I could get there from the neighborhoods.

Now I also like the fact that they have a biodiesel formula. Maybe all of the PA stations will be biodiesel soon. I was considering the AMERIgreen station, just for that reason, but now Sunoco has it too. I don't think I have to worry at all about additives and lubricity, now that PA has the biodiesel blends.

Last week I found that the Sunoco station in Chester Springs had the diesel for as much as $0.20 less per gallon than the station in Exton. They also have a covered diesel filling area, just like for the regular cars. I'm just not sure I want to give up the Sunoco that gets the most use or drive out of my way a few miles to get the fuel. I'm also a bit of a nut about routine, so I was thinking I might never buy fuel anywhere ever, unless I absolutely had too.

Good luck with your TDI

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
meowguy said:
Both Mass. and Maine are supposedly progressive states in the environmental area, but I don't know of any B5 available in either. I get mine in "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire. ;)

I have extra 5 gallon cans that I use to fill up at home if I am going the wrong way.
Sunoco has 5% BD blend in MA. I found a station on RT 1 in Norwood. Perhaps Sun is transitioning all their stations to the 5% blend as a result of the PA mandate.

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I wonder if they are doing that down here in CT as well. It would be nice to have other stations to find B5 at other than where I currently go. I'll take a drive around and report back. :)

CTGOLFTDI

TDI
2010 golf DSG 2 door
Biodiesel near Willi

Zlotnicks Citgo just east of Willimantic had B20. Where do you now go? I am in Storrs.

Last edited:

numl0ck

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
There's a Mobil station in Groton which is about 10 minutes from where I work that carries B5. That's a bit of a hike from Storrs for you. You can check here (sort by state) but it looks like only that site in Willimantic and the one in Groton are listed.

geektoad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen

Who's carrying B5 in NH? I realize you're probably hitting something on the seacoast, but I hope to find some to the west in my neck of the woods.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
So are all Sunoco stations in PA biodiesel? I just traveled through PA on Route 15, and filled up at a Sunoco station. It's pump said that it was premium diesel, but it didn't indicate that it was biodiesel.

scirocco*joe

TDI
2010 JSW
I buy my diesel at a Shell station in downtown Philly at 12th and Vine Sts. They have B5 and B20 in addition to E85. A nice alternative fuel station. I've been trying to maintain use of B5 whenever possible.

rad8tion

TDI
1984 TD Jetta, 2010 TDI Cup Jetta
numl0ck,

Thanks for the link, I can just take 184 to work and fill up there!

There's a Mobil station in Groton which is about 10 minutes from where I work that carries B5. That's a bit of a hike from Storrs for you. You can check here (sort by state) but it looks like only that site in Willimantic and the one in Groton are listed.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/article.jsp?article_id=3178

So, it's the law in PA. None of the stations I go to say anything about bio... How do you know if they are in compliance?
The two Sunoco stations I typically go to have stickers on the pump for both ULSD and 5% biodiesel, although just the other day I did go to a Sunoco near my work that had no stickers at all. I just hoped they were really a Sunoco station with the same fuel as the other two Sunoco stations I typically use. I might have pulled away, but I was running on fumes. I asked the attendant, but of course he didn't have a clue.