Sunna of Mother F^$@ *(%^ $^!^ )#@$ $%#* - Any ideas?

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
I have a knack for buying cars with bad transmissions...maybe its a sign that I should just stop buying Automatic POSs...

2001 Golf TDI - O1M...'nuff said...swapped out to an 02M :)
2002 Acura TL-S - Tranny replaced 24k, 56k, 137k
2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Automatic Tiptronic - Feels like the transmission is slipping...

This is on my Jetta

Reverse works fine, put when I put it into Drive, press the diesel pedal I get anything from:
1. 1'st gear hesitates for a split second then catches and goes
2. Accelerate slowly, and everything works OK. The transmission switches between gears fine.
3. Accelerate quickly and all kinds of funny stuff happens. The transmission doesn't shift smoothly between gears. My RPM's surge between gears, I assume because I'm telling the car more fuel...go faster!, but the car isn't in gear, so the RPM's just surge. After a split second RPM surge, the transmission slips into gear and everything is good. This only really happens between 1'st to 2'nd and 2'nd to 3'rd.

Car is tuned RC2+ with VNT17, EJ SMIC,

Anyways...I don't have any idea how this stuff works. Any help in diagnosing this is much appreciated. Here's the vag-com scan results of my transmission read:
Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 09A-927-750.lbl
Part No: 09A 927 750 BL
Component: AG5 Getriebe 09A 0262
VCID: 76ED177A52DC1C9
2 Faults Found:
00300 - Transmission Fluid Temp. Sensor (G93)
27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
00526 - Brake Light Switch-F
28-10 - Short to Plus - Intermittent

Thanks for reading...and helping. Maybe I have another 6 speed in my future...money is tight right now...I really don't need this.

Last edited:

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
So it's not just vw auto's that fail. Seems like the Acura is much worse. Sounds like the trans days are numbered. You might try to make sure the fluid level is correct, but even if it is low I doubt it will make much difference.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. Fluid level is what I will check next. Thanks for reminding me...but I agree...it's days are numbered.

The tranny in the Acura is legendary for its failures. I'd even say more so than the 01m. The one in my Acura tl was used in many other Honda and Acura platforms. Maybe I take the 6 speed out of the golf and put it into the Jetta and part the golf out...monies are tight right now...

This is a BiG HUGE Bummer...

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Good God, don't part the Golf out, they are rarer than hens teeth here.

Your Jetta Has the 09A which is not prone to failure. The scan shows a bad fluid temp sensor. Maybe that is causing all the issues?

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Good God, don't part the Golf out, they are rarer than hens teeth here.

Your Jetta Has the 09A which is not prone to failure. The scan shows a bad fluid temp sensor. Maybe that is causing all the issues?
"rarer than hens teeth here." I LIKE! I would rather not part out the Golf especially with all the work and money that I've dumped into it. I do love that bucket of bolts...and it really is just that.

I'll get a liter of VW tranny fluid today...maybe that fixes things...I am not hopeful.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
You should probably do a complete service and change out all the auto trans fluid if adding a quart or so helps with the shifting.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
You should probably do a complete service and change out all the auto trans fluid if adding a quart or so helps with the shifting.
Cool...Yeah...I was looking at the Auto Transmission service kit from idparts.com

I will do that, but DANG...you gotta remove the tranny for that.

Thanks for the advice.

Niner - are you in the bay area? I am VERY excited about football season this year....I will be going to a few games for sure.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Cool...Yeah...I was looking at the Auto Transmission service kit from idparts.com

I will do that, but DANG...you gotta remove the tranny for that.

Thanks for the advice.

Niner - are you in the bay area? I am VERY excited about football season this year....I will be going to a few games for sure.
I bet you also ,you have problem when you drive on HWY in overdrive( 5 gear).

This will sound funny ,but trust me it works.
Replace Coolant temp sensor and tranny fluid.Engine and tranny temperatures on 09A transmissions are working between each other and if the CTS acting up it will make that transmission slipping.
Also replace brake switch as well , they are $4 at dealer. Do not buy any OEM as they fail after few moths. Also you may check with your dealer maybe brake switch is under recall.

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
So it's not just vw auto's that fail. Seems like the Acura is much worse. Sounds like the trans days are numbered. You might try to make sure the fluid level is correct, but even if it is low I doubt it will make much difference.
Honda and Acura are known for years ( 2000-2005) having problem with transmission. It is same design as 09A transmission is.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
I bet you also ,you have problem when you drive on HWY in overdrive( 5 gear).

This will sound funny ,but trust me it works.
Replace Coolant temp sensor and tranny fluid.Engine and tranny temperatures on 09A transmissions are working between each other and if the CTS acting up it will make that transmission slipping.
Also replace brake switch as well , they are $4 at dealer. Do not buy any OEM as they fail after few moths. Also you may check with your dealer maybe brake switch is under recall.
I don't notice any issue when in 4'th or 5'th. No offense, but your suggestion does sound like some tomfoolery, but shoot, I'll give it a shot for a $15 sensor. Thanks for that.

Honda and Acura are known for years ( 2000-2005) having problem with transmission.
No truer statement....At least Honda extended the transmission warranty to 100,000. They also covered half the cost of a reman tranny when it went out @ 137k. $1500 instead of $3000

It is same design as 09A transmission is.
I have a few choice expletives right now hearing this information.

Thanks for the help.

lbirunner

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I would review all posts from CoolAirVw and 09a trans. I believe he has a fix for temp sensor.
I believe there is also a recall for the brake switch.
I had the same behavior from my trans when I first got it at ~130k miles. I changed all solenoids and replaced the fluid several times (can't drain it completely). I've been using Mobil full synthetic trans fluid from Autozone, $10/qt now I think.

mtbr297

Vendor
TDI
2015 Golf TDI, Seat Leon FR PD 150 6 speed.
09A fail pretty regular also. Not much better than an 01m in my opinion. You can try all these different repairs but in the end the trans will fail. The only "auto" that I know of with some long term reliability is DSG. Although than can have problems as well. All, I repeat all, every stinking 01m and 09a fail sooner if not later. If you have to have an auto then plan for replacement some time in the future. Just like BRM egr coolers they all will fail around 110-130k if not sooner. Not just some of them but all BRM egr coolers fail. Volkswagen didn't plan on us driving the TDI until it falls completely apart from rust or accidents. Just like the energizer bunny.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
As a side note, it helps others when you put something descriptive in the title of your thread. It helps others finding information as well as providing information.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
09A fail pretty regular also. Not much better than an 01m in my opinion. You can try all these different repairs but in the end the trans will fail. The only "auto" that I know of with some long term reliability is DSG. Although than can have problems as well. All, I repeat all, every stinking 01m and 09a fail sooner if not later. If you have to have an auto then plan for replacement some time in the future. Just like BRM egr coolers they all will fail around 110-130k if not sooner. Not just some of them but all BRM egr coolers fail. Volkswagen didn't plan on us driving the TDI until it falls completely apart from rust or accidents. Just like the energizer bunny.
Interesting...I know you are very involved with building these cars up so I trust your knowledge here. What are your thoughts on replacing all the solenoids? I did as lbirunner suggested an looked up 09A postings by CoolAirVW. There are quite a few people that replaced all the transmission solenoids with good results. its a potential $350 fix/stop gap. sure the tranny will fail, but it's worth a shot if it can buy me some miles...

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Sorry, but I completely disagree. You just do not see 09A fail like the 01m. Do they have their issues, yes, but they just don't puke their guts and blow chunks like the 01M does. Usually its either a solenoid issue or temp sensor issue. OP was given plenty of info so its up to him if he decides to actually use it or not.:rolleyes:

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Solenoid Replacement Information

I've decided to replace either some or all transmission solenoids for the 09A. It seems to be my best chance at a fix w/out having to send to a mechanic.

Here is some reference information for future

09A Transmission Solenoid information
Solenoid Description - VW Part Number - VW Designation (color)

Shift A - 09A 927 331 B - N88 (brown)
Shift B - 09A 927 331 - N89 (brown)
Shift Low Timing - 09A 927 331 C - N90 (black)
Lock Up - 09A 927 331 E - N91 (black)
Shift C - 09A 927 331 A - N92 (green)
Line Pressure - 09A 927 331 H - N93 (green)
Reduction Timing - 09A 927 331 G - N281 (white)
2-4 Brake Timing - 09A 927 331 D - N282 (black)
2-4 Brake Duty - 09A 927 331 F - N283 (white)

Function of each Solenoid

Individually these world impex sells these for about $150 each. I've included some places to buy all 9 for much cheaper below.

Solenoid replacement procedure

JATCO JF506E (VW 09A) Transmission Parts Catalog

Place to buy all solenoid replacement kit:
http://cobratransmission.com

electricaladvantage.net

I will post more information/follow up when I get the parts

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Before you do this let me explain you something.
TCM sanding command how to shift transmission.
So at 30 F and 90F transmission shifting point is not same and each solenoid works different as temperature change.

You have code for transmission temp sensor , so this means if TCM does not read correct temp transmission will not shift properly .
Like I said before engine and transmission temperature works between each other , and CTS will cause this problem in transmission. I have seen this before and after replacing CTS everything was corrected.
I am not saying this is 100% your problem , but it is worth of the try spend $30 for sensor and see what will happen.

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
Before you do this let me explain you something.
TCM sanding command how to shift transmission.
So at 30 F and 90F transmission shifting point is not same and each solenoid works different as temperature change.

You have code for transmission temp sensor , so this means if TCM does not read correct temp transmission will not shift properly .
Like I said before engine and transmission temperature works between each other , and CTS will cause this problem in transmission. I have seen this before and after replacing CTS everything was corrected.
I am not saying this is 100% your problem , but it is worth of the try spend $30 for sensor and see what will happen.
Yeah man...I really do appreciate that advice. I am pulling the Coolant temp sensor off my golf and putting it into the Jetta to see if that works. Shoot...doing that is free. Both have the same green plug end. I actually started to check the CTS the other day and found the horse shoe clip had broken off...not really sure how that happened, previous owner I presume. The sensor wasn't seated correctly either, but no coolant leak.

I will post back the results after I give it a shot. I am guessing that this will help get rid of the code, but not the shifting problem, but if it does...I'm sending you some beer! The transmission mis-shifts at cold and warm temps...that's why I am thinking it is one of the shift solenoids.