Sunglass compartment broke

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Got in the car yesterday and it was hanging open, would not latch. Hook busted on one side and latch on the other, must have been damaged before I bought it as I don't recall abusing it at all. So far 2 glue attempts failed, one with glue and one with JB weld and a file, trying JB Weld Epoxy next but if it fails it looks like I'll have ti buy the entire console sans switches and reading lights. Googled the part number 5G0 867 489 and found some over seas anywhere from about $50 to $100 plus $50 shipping. Will try local dealer Monday. Anyone had luck fixing this, or know where to get one reasonable? By the way the latching mechanism is very, very cheap.
I could just remove the door and re-install the console, losing the compartment but with storage so scarce in the front seat I hate to lose it. Thought about rigging up a redneck latch too.

edit found on on ebay for $24 Euro but apparently won't ship to US

Last edited:

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
After 3 attempts of gluing I got the door to hold but only on one side, and it was flaky at best. Called the dealer and got a new one-$53. Was well worth it. Posting the label in case anyone in the future finds this post in a search, the top number is the part number for the 2015 GSW in gray. Probably fits a multitude of cars.
A note to everyone, treat the compartment door with kid gloves, it is very cheap and thin and will break easily if abused. The latches are less than 1/8" plastic hooks and the catches are very thin plastic, probably around 1/32".