Sunday TSD Road Rally

jachady

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
auto dealer
The road rally is set up and ready to go. For those wanting to partake in the rally, meet at the Holiday Inn Express at 9:00 am Sunday morning. There will be a drivers meeting and instructions will be handed out. The first car will leave the hotel around 10:00 am.
The way this rally works, you need a driver, a co-pilot, a calculator, a watch or other means of tracking time, and a car with a working odometer. If you don't have these items you can still do the rally but it will be much more difficult.
This rally is designed so that you should not break any speed limits, in fact many times you will find it hard to even go the speed limit. Don't worry about getting lost as we will have safety maps for you (although you get penalized for using them).
There are three winners in this type of event: 1. the team who crosses the finish line closest to the official time 2. the team that calculates closest to the official time 3. any team that has loads of fun and laughs along the way.
If you are interested in partaking in the Sunday Road Rally please post so I can start assigning car numbers. Cars will leave the hotel in the order the numbers are assigned.

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
Sounds like fun, but I'm coming alone, so I don't have a co-pilot. If someone wants to be my co-pilot you can count me in.

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
Well, I just read the directions (we drove the course this past weekend) and all I can say is WOW. Make sure you've got a really, really good navigator and someone who can follow instructions.

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
NOW E & J, be sure and include our phone numbers. We may be getting some calls from some lost souls....

Are you including a map of Iowa or Minnesota for this rally?
Just kidding!!!

bbmd

TDI
2005.5 VW Jetta, reflex silver; 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen, white gold
We'd like to participate. It sounds like fun.

jachady

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
auto dealer
I'll post the actual results later for those of you who participated, but here is a brief synopsis. 5 teams managed to make it to the finish without opening either safety map. Apparently four teams got to tour the Fort Hospital (not because they were hurt, they all just went the wrong way). The time it should have taken to complete the course was 59 min, 42 sec. The total mileage was 26.67. Car number 83 (red Jetta wagon) had the closest actual time until they opened 1 map, they did estimate closest to actual time. "newguy" was close but didn't recieve any awards in this contest. The Roenicks (yellow NB) swept the actual time and actual mileage awards. Car number 120 "foxstoy", the first car out, took 32 minutes to get to the OCZ. They managed to make up 19 minutes on course. Car number 44 "jettafock" open both maps at the start and had his own road rally. He managed to navigate the course in around 25 minutes. He was the grey blur you guys going 10 mph saw fly by. It seemed like everyone had a great time, except possibly car number 62, they apparently wanted to have some words with me. I tried to stay away from them for the rest of the weekend.

Hope everyone had fun.

John

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The two color blind guys had a blast in car 26

We should have pre-read the driections all the way though, that green barn wasn't very green!

And yet, even after getting 'lost' we finished kinda on time, without opening either map. I think that was the fastest I've ever taken corners, and dad was in the passenger seat! How often does that happen?

-J

jimnms

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon 5-speed Tiptronic
Apparently four teams got to tour the Fort Hospital (not because they were hurt, they all just went the wrong way).
One of those was me
, so who were the other three?

FanofAllDiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf Gls
Jim,

Becky and I also found the hospital. We figured it is always good to know where the emergency room is, when you're in a strange town.

Jeff

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.
It seemed like everyone had a great time, except possibly car number 62, they apparently wanted to have some words with me. I tried to stay away from them for the rest of the weekend.
I think they also found the Hospital! So atleast you guys were consistent.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
JB ended up at the hospital too, right? "Oh, We'll just cacualte the times so we don't have to go 10 mph, we can just stop and relax
"

If this is offered at fest next year, and I'm able to attend, I will DEFINATLLY do a rally again.

-J

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
That sure was a fun rally. Well here comes the Mastercard commercial about the rally.
Time spent on rally 24 mins
Miles driven on rally 20 something (i forget)
Top speed 90mph
Number of TDI's past 2
Number of birds hit 1
Number of caterpillars hit 2
Number of Toyota Echo's left in smoke on Hwy G 1
Number of shocked judges at the finish line when they see me going 60mph 4
Over all exprience of the rally priceless

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
Hey I'm excited to see the acutal results. (maybe it's that I want to check for "chads" and to demand a recount, as I should have won)

Really though, the road rally was a lot of fun and I wanted to say that I appreciated all the hard work that went into putting the fest together this year. (and I'm sorry I wasn;t there for the banquet - as I needed to get home to help mommy with our 2 week old son.)

PADDYWAGON

TDI
jetta wagon,2003,TORNADO RED
CAR #83 CHECKING IN....
HAD A GREAT TIME ...
AND BTW MY CO-PILOT (NATE) 10 YOA
MAYBE HE SHOULD HAVE DROVE

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL