SUMMERFEST 2020 IS CANCELLED. NAIAS has been cancelled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
This GTG was held in Detroit for the last 9-10 years as Winterfest.....a 3 day Getaway to attend the Autoshow and was a great time! This is basically a continuation of that Since the Auto Show has now been moved to June! Ipsilanti is a wonderful old small Mid Western town! The Eagle Crest Marriott is a great meeting place! As stated above there will most likely never be a TDI Fest as we know it! Folks who came are now older and have different Preferences!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Brian,
My time-off request was approved.

I, like uberhare, will be sans diesel.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
To be fair, that VW LT that uberhare mentioned is a diesel, just not a TDI.

(I'll be sans-diesel though, myself.)

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Does everyone think that these cars won't be back again?...cult status?
Might take a while but,....
The crowd may change in type and size, but the car cult will definitely remain. Diesels will be kept alive by those that can

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This GTG was held in Detroit for the last 9-10 years as Winterfest.....a 3 day Getaway to attend the Autoshow and was a great time! This is basically a continuation of that Since the Auto Show has now been moved to June! Ipsilanti is a wonderful old small Mid Western town! The Eagle Crest Marriott is a great meeting place! As stated above there will most likely never be a TDI Fest as we know it! Folks who came are now older and have different Preferences!
Yep. Call it Summerfest. :)

Or pull one from Elon’s playbook and call it not-a-TDIFest. ;)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I guess it’s still technically the end of Spring.

Burgan

TDI
2003 Golf TDI GL
As of right now I'm a "Maybe" for this. Just waiting on an approval for having Sunday off. Since I'm off all the other days...

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
I'd like to register my interest as a fence-sitter....we shall see what becomes of things. 3 months is a loooong time from now. Hopefully interstate travel won't be restricted.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
BTW, the New York show was postponed to August due to COVID-19, after the Geneva show was cancelled entirely right before it opened.

And, apparently two cases have been detected in Michigan. Might want to keep an eye to see if NAIAS gets postponed or cancelled...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
please, lets keep this away from BS media hype about the flu.

i think this M2G should be called exactly what it is, TDI Club meetup. its nothing less, nothing more. nothing to do with TDI fest.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
It's relevant to whether the larger event associated with this happens or not. I'm not saying anything about the actual disease, just that a lot of events are being cancelled or postponed as part of the response to it, and NAIAS could be one of those.

(And it isn't a flu. Similar symptoms, but not a flu.)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I agree with Mongler, but not for his reasons. This event is a ways off. For now I don't think we should try and predict what we'll be doing in 3+ months. Stay calm.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Only 350 miles away, and that's if I drive south around the lake; I'll have to compare this to the Milwaukee ferry option, but count me in!

Any word on whether or not some tuners will be present? I was hoping to get my X3 tuned this summer.

Either way, I should be there. Will be nice to meet you gents.

Edit: how about "DieselFest"?

Last edited:

ramseygoat38

TDI
2013 Golf
I have been looking for a road trip to do this summer. I'm on the fence about it. Sounds like a good time though. I will have to see what I got planned(aka ask the wife haha).

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
I would of liked to attend but 4200km one way seems a bit excessive lol.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
If anyone is going though from the md, pa, va and surrounding areas, we should go as a group drive. Just putting that out there.

Hamman

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's, but an '84 Rabbit diesel
I'm guessing we might be on the backside of the virus, so I plan on being there. Never attended a TDIfest, but will be there - albeit with an '84 Rabbit diesel.
Also willing to caravan with the PA,MD,VA crowd - but would need to keep it under 70mph!

Last edited:

jlav0330

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
This seems cool, but I think whoever's organizing this really needs to reconsider having this event. They're talking of cancelling the Detroit Auto Show because of COVID-19, and this was to be hosted in Michigan to be able to go to that event.

Really, I don't see things in the US returning back to normal, or what seems to be normal, until late June/early July. CDC is estimating that peak hospitalizations will be happening sometime in the month of May, but you can bet that just because we're past the peak, that everyone can't start running around and going to large gatherings the week after what is the peak. I would estimate it'll be 6 weeks after the peak that large gatherings will be allowed again.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Oh come ON! The President said it is OVER on Easter, and who can you trust more than big, beautiful him?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I would suspect that if the Detroit show is postponed or canceled, this would be too. Only makes sense. But we're not there yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.