Suggestions for tires?

Kobayashimaru

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Hey everyone!
I just bought a 2012 JSW with 16 inch wheels and, like every other car I acquired, the first thing that goes on are tires. Ideally, I'd like a low rolling resistance but good handling 3 season tire (it'll get snow tires on steelies next winter.) I'd also like something that'll give me at least 50,000 miles. I don't want to spend more than $150 each. Does anybody have suggestions?

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
After retiring the OEM Continentals at only 25k, which were horrible, I bought a set of Bridgestone Driveguards in 225/45RF17. These are run-flats, so the side wall is very stiff, producing slightly more than average noise. On the plus side, the handling and fuel economy were very good. I rotated them every 5k, but in the 35k I put on them before turning the car back to VW, they wore so evenly that they never needed any re-balancing. Even at 35k, they still had plenty of life left in them. It also helped that they were made in Japan. With a coupon from Bridgestone, I paid about $150 a piece for that size back in 2014.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Ecopias are good. However, my experience is they get noisy as they wear. Recently I've become a fan of General Altimax RT43s. Inexpensive, wear well, quiet, better grip than an equivalent Michelin tire. Conti Eco Contacts are pretty good, too, but ride a bit harder and are noisier than the Generals.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are a nice tyre, not sure the cost in the US. I bought a nearly new set used for $150. Quiet, rode well and didn't impact the fuel economy (+ or -) either way.

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
I’m a cheap Asian tire fanatic and it’s all I’ve run for my last 10-12 sets of tires, I’ve used Hankook, Falcon, Nankang, Toyo, Kumho and Ohtsu, currently in my third set of Ohtsu and I love them at $60 a piece, they’ve even gone on my mom’s Cadillac, the problem I’ve found with most Asian tires are they are a bit in the noisy side but these Ohtsu are quiet and they stick like glue

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
The '11 has the 205/55R16 standard issue tires (Bionline wheels) and it came with Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires and we have honestly been very happy with them. They are wearing to where they should probably make it past the 50k warranty.

Just put 2 new ones on due to a pothole induced flat on one tire. Even after ~20k miles they probably still have ~70% meat left to them. We replaced with same because they are pretty decent tires with good traction, handling and noise characteristics.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/hankook-ventus-s1-noble2-h452/p/19952

If you want to go even cheaper $$$ wise I just plopped these Barums on the '12 and had them on my Mercedes E350. Don't have many miles under my belt on them but they are very quiet. Only downside I can say vs the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ they replaced is they are a softer tire so have a bit more squirm to them.

The Barums are very lightweight so I even noticed better off the line oomph vs the Michelins which weigh a hefty 5-6 lbs more per tire - in the 16" size they are even 3 lbs lighter than the Hankooks above.

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/barum-bravuris-3hm/p/11376