Sudden Limp Mode while towing across country

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Me again.
So this time I'm towing a loaded 6x12 enclosed trailer from Missoula, MT to Chicago--at least that's what I'm trying to do. Has done really well until near the N. Dakota boarder. It's been in the 90s F and would start creeping over 190F on the hills, but dropped as soon as I got over them. I usually cut the AC off on the hills to lighten the load.
Anyways, on a particularly long stretch of hill I noticed a bit more smoke if I went too far down on the throttle--only difference if black smoke, no other physical changes--and it was quite a bit thicker than at any point thus far. Then right as the top nears, huge loss in power. I haven't gone into a limp mode since changing out A lOT of things back in late 2011--including EGr, vacuum lines and pretty much all the regulators in that loop. Got a light and returned: 16964.P1556
Turbo charger boost sensor or (A) circuit: control limit not reached

I when i stopped at the top of the hill, removed the stupid hood insulation because the engine compartment was hotter than usual and it's pretty much laying on the engine because all the ****ty clamps have broke. After that's noticed a really loud high pressure blow sound anytime I was pulling moderately hard. Stopped again later and let everything cool to lay hands on things, and while everything seemed connected, I discovered the big screen on the air intake was almost completely clogged. That didn't help whatsoever , and I can't keep it from going into limp mode on the interstate. I'm stuck going 40-50 in 3rd and 4th gear. Fueling up in Dickinson now and WAS trying to get to Moorhead tonight.
Looks like I may have an oil leak or something now cropping up around the windshield wiper fluid reservoir now too. Oh wait, I wonder if the EGR line is leaking!...
I've contemplated wrecking the car for insurance money since I'm broke until my military orders start in a month.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
I would take the following comments, put them together, and guess that you have a charge air (boost) hose that has disconnected.

Got a light and returned: 16964.P1556
Turbo charger boost sensor or (A) circuit: control limit not reached
After that's noticed a really loud high pressure blow sound anytime I was pulling moderately hard.
I can't keep it from going into limp mode on the interstate. I'm stuck going 40-50 in 3rd and 4th gear.
Looks like I may have an oil leak or something now cropping up around the windshield wiper fluid reservoir now too.
The oil near the wiper fluid reservoir is key. Double check the connections at top of the intercooler to the rigid plastic pipe, and again the joint from that rigid plastic pipe to the 'elbow' tube that makes the 90 degree bend to enter the EGR valve.
The boost piping will always have a small bit of oil present (from the CCV breathing into the intake). So a leak in one of those joints would explain both your limp mode and the presence of oil in that part of the engine bay.

Can you explain some more what you're referring to here?

Stopped again later and let everything cool to lay hands on things, and while everything seemed connected, I discovered the big screen on the air intake was almost completely clogged.
Do you mean the snowscreen (located sort of under the right headlight, at end of hose feeding the 'dirty' side of the air filter)?
Or can you point out a general area of what you're referring to using the diagram below?

WAKeele

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Yeah, I meant the snow screen (it pretty much has been a bug screen from my experience).

So it turned out the air line that goes from the EGR to the intercooler was disconnected to the right of the washer fluid tank. Was completely off, but just enough to cause the problem. The oil on stuff around it is what drew my attention in. Totally solved the problem.