sucker of the year award AND VW EGR filter (cjaa cbea) 4 sale

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
O.K. how do I even word this? I can't believe I was taken like this. Here's the run down - after my disclaimer.

I was a mechanic by trade general and dealership (mostly gas) from 1983-2003. In 2003 a motorcycle injury took me out of wrenching. The diesel thing has been a fairly recent passion since about 2010 when I purchased an 83 rabbit pickup then the 2011 buy back. That said I love this forum as it fills my wrenching needs through book knowledge.

Welllll my foolish mistake....
Looking thru offerup and came across a cjaa DPF. for $220 brand new, VW part. Not to mention the guy was local. As I covered in above disclaimer 😣 I haven't had hands on much with wrenching diesel let alone cjaa (aside from non delete tune). Even though I have seen this picture a million times I wanted to do my due diligence. Before buying I thought I covered ALL the bases. I google searched "DPF cjaa" and believe it or not EVERY site I hit on this search (6 I think), confirm this through a DPF search with -this EGR filter- picture. A few were actually sellers here. Its not necessarily on them as I reread one site I previously looked up and it, "IMO" squeezed in "intermittent pipe". O.K. kind of rookie mistake but I claim it. I will say ID parts, although not having a picture, gave a fair market price of $1043 but NO picture. Cool, At his cost it seems like a fair deal to give him his asking price. looks like I need to buy for when I need it (and I will).

Question #1 Why so cheap? the bells went off.
This non availability of this DPF conundrum is fairly recent. As business goes, what happens when you have a desired UNavailable UNobtainium part? ... Prices skyrocket.

O.K. I called and talked to the seller. He claimed to have bought it a year ago, and claimed to buy it for $280... I reasoned that makes sense as I saw average now of $300 (based on my inacurate search results), except the one $1043 tag, that is IF it was in stock. I reasoned it had to be the new unobtainium price tag...

Why is he selling? he obviously bought to use?
Well his cjaa was reposed and the part arrived afterward (non returnable). That should have been enough said... but no...

He offered to drop it off so both my son and I met him on the porch. Looking at the box I was stunned as it wasn't the size I expected. (keep in mind I never had one in hand). We took it out, and stun number 2. It looked exactly like what I was certain was the DPF from pictures but the pipe was minuscule. Could this stupidly restrictive size be the reasons for so many deletes? I questioned as it totally threw me. We small talked cars abit and he was paid and on his way. Some things you have to run with, looking a gift horse in the mouth... yadda yadda. Never got snookered like this before, I've been around the block a few times... feeling really stupid right now.

Crap, next step REALLY confirm. That search knocked my pride into the trash. Gave him a call I explained and took responsibility for the purchase. I asked if he would refund and keep $20 to cover cost. In hindsight I probably should have asked him what $ would cover his time and gas. He said no problem I'LL be back... 11P.M. as I type, Jokes on me. SUCKA! Nevertheless it's not the end of the world.

FOR SALE
EGR filter. Brand new, unused (this I did confirm clean unused)
Which brings me to a new project. It's called "help me restore my pride" LOL I'm only asking my expenses + shipping, no more no less. $250 + actual shipping, I'll include shipping quote if you'd like. No tax. Should be apx. $50 cheaper than total outside purchase considering all

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
You need to post a picture, because I cannot decipher what you are really talking about.

Use CJAA DPF/deNOx/etc. piles are worth about $500 at the scrapper, but not all scrap places will take them due to catalyst theft. Mine takes them because they know I am a professional and nothing has been cut off.

I've recycled several good used setups, sold for the same money.

The EGR filter tubes are virtually worthless by themselves, and they don't ever go bad of their own, they clog as a symptom of a failed DPF. You can clean them out, I've successfully done this many times to save people a few bucks when I replace a DPF.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And the early version was switched to the later version as part of their "fix", but both can and will clog shut when the DPF cracks. Both can also successfully be cleaned out, too.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
EGR filter, two versions:
1K0253120
(dealer list $324):

and 1K0253120B (dealer list $32):
Yup thats it, you'll find me in the corner cleaning egg of my face.

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
And the early version was switched to the later version as part of their "fix", but both can and will clog shut when the DPF cracks. Both can also successfully be cleaned out, too.
@oilhammer and @DrGERTol , are the two versions interchangeable? And how do you know you successfully cleaned a clogged one? I used Super Clean to soak the filter a few times and flushed thoroughly with the garden hose each time. The water flow is much better. When I blow into one end of the filter I do feel some resistance though. Any pointers are appreciated. I have the Revision B btw.

Last edited:

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
So you feel you got taken because it was advertised as a DPF? Maybe he didnt know what exactly it was either….

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
So you feel you got taken because it was advertised as a DPF? Maybe he didnt know what exactly it was either….
No, i should've known better. Bone head on my part for sure. But calling the guy back Emediately, apologized for my messup. Agreed to meet for a refund - my suggestion of $20 for his inconvenience. No show...blocked number. My bad, I get that, but at least have the Kahanas to say no. Life says move anyways

EGR filter, two versions:
1K0253120 (dealer list $324):
and 1K0253120B (dealer list $136)
I somehow didnt thouroughly process this post.
Which is the later updated unit numbers/picture?
My actual picture below. #1K0253120. I'm guessing it's the old...

ThomasCo

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
No, i should've known better. Bone head on my part for sure. But calling the guy back Emediately, apologized for my messup. Agreed to meet for a refund - my suggestion of $20 for his inconvenience. No show...blocked number. My bad, I get that, but at least have the Kahanas to say no. Life says move anyways

I somehow didnt thouroughly process this post.
Which is the later updated unit numbers/picture?
My actual picture below. #1K0253120. I'm guessing it's the old...
Correct, Revision B (newer version) is the one with the wire mesh around the (smaller) canister.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
I agree, that part of the deal is shady. Yes just say no, sorry faults on you.
But live and learn and if a deal seems too good to be true it usually is

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
So is rev B improved?
In otherwords it was changed for the fix but as with the "fix" it was really a downgrade all things considered

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree, that part of the deal is shady. Yes just say no, sorry faults on you.
But live and learn and if a deal seems too good to be true it usually is
Yup, im plenty old enough to know better.