Subframe Bushing p/n Question, 5-speed Swap

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
I'm planning to change the subframe bushings in my B5.5 wagon, and I am trying to figure out which ones I need. The auto was swapped to a 5-speed by the PO. I believe the auto trans uses the same p/n for all four of the bushings (p/n 8D0 399 415 D). However, from the parts diagram it looks like the manual transmissions may use a different p/n for the rear bushings (8D0 399 419 E). I tried ordering the 419 but apparently it has been discontinued by VW (or may not be available in the US). Can anyone shed any light on this? Since this is my DD, I need to be sure to have the correct parts on hand when I start removing the old bushings or else I'll be walking to work (23 miles each way).

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
I tried to figure out the same thing when I was getting everything together for the manual swap I completed a month ago.

While I don't really know this to be certain, this is what I could determine from the online catalogs. MT 4cyl have 8D0 399 419D and 8D0 399 419N in the rear and 8D0 399 415D in the front. MT 6cyl have 8D0 399 419C in the rear and 8D0 399 415D in the front. AT TDI have 8D0 399 419E in the rear and 8D0 399 415E in the front.

I was planning on replacing them for good measure since they had 220K on them, but could not be certain of the correct part number. So, I waited to get it apart to see if I could get the numbers off the old ones. When I looked at them they seemed to be in near perfect condition so I just put it back together and didn't worry about the numbers. Wish I'd have checked so I could at least let you know what was on mine.

If your left and right transmission mounts are similar, then you most likely still have the TDI subframe and should use the numbers for the TDI auto. If the left transmission mount is different, then a 4cyl MT subframe was swapped in and you should use the numbers for it.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
I tried to figure out the same thing when I was getting everything together for the manual swap I completed a month ago.

While I don't really know this to be certain, this is what I could determine from the online catalogs. MT 4cyl have 8D0 399 419D and 8D0 399 419N in the rear and 8D0 399 415D in the front. MT 6cyl have 8D0 399 419C in the rear and 8D0 399 415D in the front. AT TDI have 8D0 399 419E in the rear and 8D0 399 415E in the front.

I was planning on replacing them for good measure since they had 220K on them, but could not be certain of the correct part number. So, I waited to get it apart to see if I could get the numbers off the old ones. When I looked at them they seemed to be in near perfect condition so I just put it back together and didn't worry about the numbers. Wish I'd have checked so I could at least let you know what was on mine.

If your left and right transmission mounts are similar, then you most likely still have the TDI subframe and should use the numbers for the TDI auto. If the left transmission mount is different, then a 4cyl MT subframe was swapped in and you should use the numbers for it.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm gonna crawl under there this weekend and see if I can figure it out. Maybe in the meantime one of the seasoned 5-speed swappers will chime in.