Sturgeon Bay, WI GTG/Cruise June 20th, 2015

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
i might be bringing a non tdi-er vw guy that lives in my apartment complex in wausau... following peeps in tandem.. i talked with him today about it..... but was kinda short on time... we're gonna touch base again another day about it and i will tell him more a bout it. he has a jetta.... a bit of a getto wing... but nice rims and body kit on it...

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
i might be bringing a non tdi-er vw guy that lives in my apartment complex in wausau... following peeps in tandem.. i talked with him today about it..... but was kinda short on time... we're gonna touch base again another day about it and i will tell him more a bout it. he has a jetta.... a bit of a getto wing... but nice rims and body kit on it...
Wouldn't be the first time. I think it was the last one there was someone there with a gasser. I think it was a Rabbit. The one that looks similar to a newer Golf.

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
Its been a long time since I last logged on here, but I think I may try to make this trip as well. I was interested in a Malone Tune... but really dont know much about them. So I think it would be worth it, even just to learn more about the tunes.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Its been a long time since I last logged on here, but I think I may try to make this trip as well. I was interested in a Malone Tune... but really dont know much about them. So I think it would be worth it, even just to learn more about the tunes.
I have a stage 2 tune and I love it. Really makes the car pull it's just fun. I have to rent a lot of cars for my job and I really miss the pickup of my TDI. :) it's just not the same going from diesel to gas something is missing.

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
I am thinking I should just go for it. Lol. I plan on keeping the car for a long time. Was there any other modifications you had to do for a Stage 2 Tune?? Or do they only reprogram the ECU?

Also, did you do a DPF delete? I have been trying to do some research on that as well... to see if it would be worth it.

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
im planning on starting on a project ranger tdi ... if i wanted to do the malone tunes to the engine. how'd i go about that ?

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
I am thinking I should just go for it. Lol. I plan on keeping the car for a long time. Was there any other modifications you had to do for a Stage 2 Tune?? Or do they only reprogram the ECU?

Also, did you do a DPF delete? I have been trying to do some research on that as well... to see if it would be worth it.
Just do it you will like it trust me :D:D VW should have the car this way from the factory. :D
nope the dpf is still in there. I did have to get the dsg tune also because I have one. I don't notice any more regens than before the tune. I don't always get on it but it's nice to know it's there and fun.

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta

You don't need to do any additional mods for stage 2. Deletes are optional. :)

Was a fordie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
We can do it many different ways, in person, by mail, etc. We can discuss at the gtg if you want.
i'll have to hit you up about that, right now im either leaning towards a ford ranger or a toyota tacoma to do this tdi swap on... looking at one in my area that had a headgasket cracked on 1994 toyota tacoma 5 speed manual with 4x4. if i can get it on the cheap. im probably going to put a Stage 4 clutch in..

http://www.maperformance.com/compet...ruck-van-t-100-1993-1994-3.0l-16059-0620.html

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Talk to Greengeeker about clutches. He has something he will put in his that will drive nice and take whatever we throw at it

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
im planning on starting on a project ranger tdi ... if i wanted to do the malone tunes to the engine. how'd i go about that ?

That would be pretty sweet! I am looking at doing a 1.9L in my wrangler. Just trying to price it out right now and get a perspective on how big of a project I will be getting myself in to.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
A couple years ago, I saw a newer Ford Ranger that it looked like someone had stuffed a small Cummins motor in it. There was the big C on the side of the truck, and it sounded like a turbo-diesel when I passed it.

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
Ive been following this site: http://www.cotybuilt.com/
They have a kit made for the 1.9L TDI, that can swap in to a Jeep Wrangler. Problem is... a little too expensive for me. I would be looking at about $10k + for the kit, and engine through them. But I could get about 30 MPG in my wrangler, much better then the 12 mpg i am getting now.

Volks09Wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI, Manual
Damn, cant make it anymore. I have a camping trip the same weekend that has been planned for a while. Almost forgot about it!

Ill have to catch up next time and look at a malone tune then!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Damn, cant make it anymore. I have a camping trip the same weekend that has been planned for a while. Almost forgot about it!

Ill have to catch up next time and look at a malone tune then!
Well that's unfortunate...but I may have either a GTG in the fall or talk to Beyond Redline in Green Bay and see if they'd help me setup a TDI/VW/AUDI dyno day at their facility.;)
Because it looks like they had one on May 2nd and were only charging $60 for 3 runs, which imo is pretty good. So, I'll have to contact them and see what they say.
http://beyondredline.com/

Otherwise there is a company in Dodgeville, WI(It's between Madison and Dubuque, IA) if they'd be willing to bring their mobile dyno right to our shop...
http://www.fullboarenterprises.com/

Thoughts, comments, question, and suggestions on a fall dyno day?

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I think Jfettig should get his twin turbo beast on the dyno!

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Well that's unfortunate...but I may have either a GTG in the fall or talk to Beyond Redline in Green Bay and see if they'd help me setup a TDI/VW/AUDI dyno day at their facility.;)
Because it looks like they had one on May 2nd and were only charging $60 for 3 runs, which imo is pretty good. So, I'll have to contact them and see what they say.
http://beyondredline.com/
I have contacts there. I'll hit them up and see what they say.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I might be interested in hitting the dyno. If nothing else, it will give you guys a comparison to a stock vehicle. I'm curious as to what kind of performance it still has after 265k miles.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Back to the GTG, are we thinking there will be a cruse too Eric? If so I might be able to get a few more gasser VW's to come along.

At a bare minimum will be good food and Erics TDI monsters should be there, been a few years since the Jetta was up there for a GTG and Sounds like his new RTDI might be there too!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Back to the GTG, are we thinking there will be a cruse too Eric? If so I might be able to get a few more gasser VW's to come along.

At a bare minimum will be good food and Erics TDI monsters should be there, been a few years since the Jetta was up there for a GTG and Sounds like his new RTDI might be there too!
Yeah, I'm thinking Cruise up north leaving as close to 9 am as possible, be back around noon to start cooking out, wrenching, and tuning cars. But if people would rather stay at the shop and wrench, tune, and cookout we can do that.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Yeah, I'm thinking Cruise up north leaving as close to 9 am as possible, be back around noon to start cooking out, wrenching, and tuning cars. But if people would rather stay at the shop and wrench, tune, and cookout we can do that.
Ok so now that it's getting closer to the day. need a roll call as to how many people are attending going to have some pub burgers made up and get some root beer. If I can get someone to grill that would be great :) but I will bring the burgers and root beer. Let me know

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok so now that it's getting closer to the day. need a roll call as to how many people are attending going to have some pub burgers made up and get some root beer. If I can get someone to grill that would be great :) but I will bring the burgers and root beer. Let me know
Alright everyone...time get a head count of who's coming.;)

I'm thinking of the people, I've invited and I'm going to gestimate 15 people will be attend, that are friends, family, etc.