Stupid door Switch!! $3 Fix!!!

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
The ground is switched on the puddle light by the micro switch in the door latch module. The magnetic switch just switches the same thing externally.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
My magnet fix is still working 2+ years in.
I did use a super strong magnet though.
A buddy has a stack of magnets from lowes in his door jam. Also works great.
so you didnt use the supplied magnet that came in the kit? just the magnet part with the wires coming off of it? maybe thats what im doing wrong. seemed fishy too... not too sure how to get that tall magnet that came with the switch in the floor panel where the door closes.

regarding the wiring, when you cut the wires... which end do you attach the switch to? the wires that go to the door latch, or the wires that head towards the door hinges?

I assume it would be the wires that head towards the door hings/front of the car?

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
I used a fairly strong magnet attached to the bottom of the plastic lower door sil plate (underneath / hidden under the plastic). I attached it with 3M VHB tape (the gray padded double sick tape with red plastic to keep if from sticking to itself). My buddy has a stack of maybe 5-6 magnets (for height) just stuck to the steel under the same piece of plastic.

For wiring you ground 1 side and attach the other to the ground side of the door light. You don't even need to pull the door card, just reach in through the light.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Must be a thin magnet? Where did you get it from? Seems like 5 magnets would raise the plastic up quite a bit? I'm sure it'll all be simple once o start to tinker with it.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
Must be a thin magnet? Where did you get it from? Seems like 5 magnets would raise the plastic up quite a bit? I'm sure it'll all be simple once o start to tinker with it.

You're in Canada?

Princess Auto... pack of 3 is well under 10$. Rare earth magnets. I can assure you that you won't need 5. 1 will do.

ps. don't let these things loose near your phone. or anything else electronic. I used them in the differentials of my Jeep to catch shavings or pieces of broken gears, whatever.

Last edited:

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
The ones that my friend used are about 1/8" thick each. There is a fair amount of space between the plastic and the steel below mainly due to the pinch weld there, a fair amount of NVH insulation in the space caused by the pinch weld.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
You're in Canada?

Princess Auto... pack of 3 is well under 10$. Rare earth magnets. I can assure you that you won't need 5. 1 will do.

If you are stateside harbor freight has the same magnets (well they look the same). Also lowes has typical ceramic magnets that work just fine in a stack.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
awesome, thanks a lot guys.. I cant wait to try this fix out. very cool and very easy. sure beats spending a weekend following a 90 step walkthrough on how to remove the door panel.

cant wait to get rid of that flashing "door ajar" light on my damn dash, and having my car alarm randomly come on during the middle of the night!!!!!!

still not 100% sure which end of the brown wire to attach to but im sure ill figure it out. im pretty sure it would be the end that heads to the front of the car.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
3 of these NO switches arrived from China this morning. Ordered Mar 3, arrived Mar 30.... free shipping... ok, no problem with that.

I checked all 3 with a multimeter for functionality with and without magnet and they work. I'll tackle it this week to get my dome and puddle lights working for the driver door.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
3 of these NO switches arrived from China this morning. Ordered Mar 3, arrived Mar 30.... free shipping... ok, no problem with that.

I checked all 3 with a multimeter for functionality with and without magnet and they work. I'll tackle it this week to get my dome and puddle lights working for the driver door.

post up some pics of the process!

thanks

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
post up some pics of the process!

thanks

Well I did this today. All it does ~in my case~ is turn on the puddle light when the door opens... no dome light.

While that is better, I want the whole 9 yards. I have a new to me door latch mechanism with all the switches intact. It came from a known working donor...04 or 05. I will tear into my door when the weather is better and install that and be done with it.

Also, a word of caution: our normally open and the chinese definition of normally open can be two different things.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Well I did this today. All it does ~in my case~ is turn on the puddle light when the door opens... no dome light.

While that is better, I want the whole 9 yards. I have a new to me door latch mechanism with all the switches intact. It came from a known working donor...04 or 05. I will tear into my door when the weather is better and install that and be done with it.

Also, a word of caution: our normally open and the chinese definition of normally open can be two different things.
Either you did the wrong wire, or your wiring of lock from door to car frame is frayed. It's in that rubber thingamagic wire holder. I had that problem w my trunk not registering closed.

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
Either you did the wrong wire, or your wiring of lock from door to car frame is frayed. It's in that rubber thingamagic wire holder. I had that problem w my trunk not registering closed.

Thanks. There's only one wire with brown that goes to the puddle light. I cut that wire, spliced the switch wire to that brown wire that goes to the light so that when the switch allows continuity, the puddle light is grounded.

Puddle light works as it should now. Door open, light on. Door closed, light off

No dome light when that door opens. So I figured there is something else going on wrong inside my door.

I will check the wiring for breaks in that rubber piece when I take the door apart again. Thanks for your comments....I'd be glad for any advice you have time for.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Strip both sides and touch em to ground via jumper wire. Not sure what wire op used but that can be an easy test to see what side of brown to use for door closed.s

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
ok, so ive got my door panel half taken off via the bottom. the puddle light is out, and I do not have the brown wire anywhere.

ive got a brown wire with a white strip, same as the picture, that runs to the puddle light. but thats the only brown wire I can find... where is it? we got an guy with an 01 and with an 03 jetta in this thread that didnt seem to have a problem, maybe im not looking hard enough, but I cant find it in my 04.

also, regarding the chinese switch I got. I got a nickle size magnet. it likes to stick to the part of the switch with no wires. but the wired half of the switch it wont stick to.. isnt that backwards? shouldnt it be a strong magnetic connection on the wired half of the switch to open and close it?

Last edited:

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
Thanks. There's only one wire with brown that goes to the puddle light. I cut that wire, spliced the switch wire to that brown wire that goes to the light so that when the switch allows continuity, the puddle light is grounded.

Puddle light works as it should now. Door open, light on. Door closed, light off

No dome light when that door opens. So I figured there is something else going on wrong inside my door.

I will check the wiring for breaks in that rubber piece when I take the door apart again. Thanks for your comments....I'd be glad for any advice you have time for.
you werent supposed to splice/cut that brown/white wire going into the light were you?

there was another pure brown wire that you were supposed to splice into? does it matter that youve got an 01 and ive got an 04?

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
also, regarding the chinese switch I got. I got a nickle size magnet. it likes to stick to the part of the switch with no wires. but the wired half of the switch it wont stick to.. isnt that backwards? shouldnt it be a strong magnetic connection on the wired half of the switch to open and close it?
magnet doesn't need to stick to the switch. check it with a multi-meter.... no continuity when magnet is near switch, continuity when magnet isn't near.

EDIT: ^^^^ CORRECTED

you werent supposed to splice/cut that brown/white wire going into the light were you?

there was another pure brown wire that you were supposed to splice into? does it matter that youve got an 01 and ive got an 04?
I've had my door panel off completely twice. There is only one brown wire anywhere and that is the brown with white wire that goes to the puddle light.

04 is the same as far as I know.

Last edited:

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
so how come the picture in the initial post describing how to do it shows a third brown wire?

is it that white/white wire im supposed to tie into?

if not, is there anything I can cut to fully disable the passenger door lock switch if I cant fix it? I cant have my alarm going off all night, car unlocked, and batteries dying every week and this door lock module is causing all that!!!

will splicing into tie brown/white wire fix that??

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
I cant have my alarm going off all night, car unlocked, and batteries dying every week and this door lock module is causing all that!!!
Sounds like somebody needs to buy a new Volkswagen t-shirt and cheer up...LOL. I'd start using the word "Danke" If I were you, it will make you feel better.

Hey underwhelmd, does your dome light work at all? Is it that it just doesn't not come on with the driver's door opening?

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
Hey underwhelmd, does your dome light work at all? Is it that it just doesn't not come on with the driver's door opening?

Yes! Dome light works perfect upon opening other 3 doors, not the driver door.
It's weird. Unlike other posters, My power locks work on all doors and alarm arms no problem. Never had an issue with locks or alarm.

Dang ol' dome light and door ajar warning does not work on driver door. I'm going to revisit it soon. .... fixing mechanical and rust right now. :(

Merchlewitz

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I have a question, so I was getting a window control fault on the driver's door. I took it apart and swapped the locking mechanisms electric side out for one at a junk yard. This seemed to fix the window regulator fault. Although I am still getting the door ajar light on the dash... Also only my driver's side door is making noise when it's open... Is that normal? I'd think at least the passengers door would make the same noise... Is there a way to tell which door is causing the door ajar light? Can I use the dome light and switch it to door or?

Any tips or hints greatly appreciated, the red door ajar is really annoying..

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
China.

I ordered one last year when I had $25 burning a hole in my Paypal account.:D

It's in my spare parts bin...haven't tried it yet.

I've ordered the proper ones from Roseland before @$175 each. I don't have the patience to try and repair one...I have enough other junk that needs my attention more;).

underwhelmd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Beetle
I've ordered the proper ones from Roseland before @$175 each. I don't have the patience to try and repair one...I have enough other junk that needs my attention more;).

That's just it. For me, it's "i don't want to tear apart an otherwise good working door to fix a puddle light/dome light thing."

same kind of thing.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
That's just it. For me, it's "i don't want to tear apart an otherwise good working door to fix a puddle light/dome light thing."

same kind of thing.
I've changed the door switches before, and it's one of my least favorite jobs. If I'm pulling that door panel off, I only want to do it once and move on to other jobs. I'll pay more in this case to save time and trouble.

I have to change the door latch/switch in my Beetle soon, and I'll give the $25 Chinese kit a try. The latch works mostly...it just won't unlock with the fob, so when I open it with the key and get in, the alarm goes off...lol. Gets me every time. I'm kinda dumb like that.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I just ended up removing the light bulb from the socket and that seemed to make the door ajar light go away, it used to flicker on and off all day long, causing the alarm to go off at night and everything.

I havnt tested it yet, but I believe it would also fix my problem with the battery dying after a week too.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I would expect the aftermarket ones not to hold up like the originals but the switch should be better designed. So if you get 8 years or so out of it thats pretty good for $25.

Im gonna get one soon and put it in when i mess with the power window issue I've been having. I believe its just something came loose tho but that tar glue panel is a pain.