Stuck glowplug?

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Back when I first got my diesel (November), Had a CEL on, and replaced three glow plugs to get it to pass inspection. At the time, the fourth plug was seized according to the mechanic that worked on it. I didn't bother with it as the CEL went off.

Well, the CEL is back on, and I am wondering, do I bother to do anything with the stuck plug, or ignore it? What should I do to keep the other three from seizing?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
first, go thru the gp101 thread from wingnut.

high temp anti-sieze for the threads.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Find an AutoZone and get it scanned for free to confirm what the CEL is all about. If it is due to the seized GP, you might want to get a hold of Frank06 for proper removal procedure.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Make sure that the plug is really bad... a digital ohm-meter (multi-meter) will let you know... there are cheap ones at Harbor Freight that will do the job... Often the problem is simply corrosion inside the harness... If it turns out that it is the "stuck" glow plug, you could either undergo a possibly extensive repair job to remove it, or you could cheat and bypass the testing circuit by shorting the two glow plug wires to each other... (be sure to tape over the "repair"...) clear the code, and you'll never get another glow-plug relatated CEL... (of course, you'll never be notified that a glow plug's defective, either, but living where you do, that's not really a huge problem...)

Yuri.

(It's possible that defeating an emission-related component may not be legal in your jurisdiction for on-road use of the vehicle, so be sure to only drive on the sidewalk afterwards...)

kgirlbug2k

Veteran Member
Grins, not an issue on emissions, my county is one of three that does not have emissions testing. It does get below zero every now and again here.

Keep the thoughts coming, should have my TDI back Wed or Thur...