Stuck accelerator

Moynihan007

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Has anyone had issues with the accelerator getting stuck at low speeds (20-30mph). Feels like cruise is on but it isn't. Happens during traffic when approaching stop sign or light. Have had it happen in 2nd/3rd gear. Sporadic in nature. No problems at higher speed and stops once I tap the brakes.

Taking to dealer this week but my guess is that they will say its fine as the problem will not occur for them..

Yankinwaoz

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
Do you have an automatic tranny?

Pure speculation here. But what do you mean the accelerator is stuck? Are you getting high RPMs as you brake for a stop?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Are you sure it isn't a regen occuring, which makes for some clumsy moments in the drivetrain?

Smaug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with DSG and Sunroof
Yes, I had it happen today in stop and go traffic. Felt like the trans didn't downshift and the idling engine kept me moving along at 10 or 15mph.

Moynihan007

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Interesting Smaug that you have had it happen with DSG as well...your description fits

Regarding regen...not sure what and how often these occur....have about 1000 miles and have had this happen about 6 times or so.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The engine won't drop to below 800 rpms (normal idle) until you've come to a stop. When the vehicle is moving, the idle speed is slightly higher.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yes, I had it happen today in stop and go traffic. Felt like the trans didn't downshift and the idling engine kept me moving along at 10 or 15mph.
It's normal for the DSG to idle along in 2nd gear at that speed. Certainly nothing to do with the accelerator getting stuck.

Smaug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with DSG and Sunroof
Yes, I didn't mention that I thought it was normal.

Moynihan007

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Quick update...took to dealer for courtesy 1k mile check up. Ended going out for drive with technician. Sure enough at low speeds in 2nd or 3rd the car kept going once rpms dropped below 900 rpm or so. We even kept going on an uphill with the foot off the gas. Tech said that the car will not stall unlike older manual transmissions and that this was normal. Interesting though that some of the service advisors who have been around for quite some time was not aware of this.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Can you please get a video of what you're talking about? I'm having a very hard time understanding what the issue is. :confused:

Do you want the car to stall if you forget to press the clutch?

drcoopster

Veteran Member
TDI
EcoDiesel
Quick update...took to dealer for courtesy 1k mile check up. Ended going out for drive with technician. Sure enough at low speeds in 2nd or 3rd the car kept going once rpms dropped below 900 rpm or so. We even kept going on an uphill with the foot off the gas. Tech said that the car will not stall unlike older manual transmissions and that this was normal. Interesting though that some of the service advisors who have been around for quite some time was not aware of this.
The technician is right; the diesel has quite a bit of "umph" even at idle speed and will give it as much fuel as it thinks it will take to keep it from stalling, unlike a gasoline engine's idle control system which can only adjust the fuel and air a small amount.

The car can mosey along without stalling in any gear at idle rpm, even on a moderate incline. Of course you can still easily stall it if you hit the brakes.

I tend to put the clutch in around 1000 RPM when coming to a stop--the engine doesn't provide enough engine braking at those speeds to be effective anyways.