Strut Tower Cover/Seatbelt guide removal ?

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Okay, I'm probably missing something pretty obvious...

So I'll ask. how do you get get the rear Strut tower cover off on the Wagon? I've removed the two #2 philips screws, but the black plastic belt guide doesn't budge and I don't seen any visible clips/screws or tricks to remove it.

Pushing prodding lifting and twisting the way I was doing it doesn't seem to work.

What's the secret? :confused:

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
Its hanging on by a tab preventing it from pulling straight up. I think I removed mine by inserting a flathead screwdriver horizontally from the front of the car toward the back of the car and pushing against the plastic to release the tab. I think the screwdriver goes in through the slot that the belt runs through.

Hard to explain and the photo in the Bently isn't very helpful.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
Other than those stubborn seatbelt guides removing the trim wasn't nearly as bad as everyone has made it out to be all these years. A lot to do for two Strut tower bolts I suppose but all these years (12?) of hearing about the horrors of removing the trim to get to the strut towers... that was pretty anti-climactic

slapshotjh

Veteran Member
TDI
97 GLX B4V
I agree. I was dreading the rear shock job on the B4V. Did it last spring and found that it was pretty easy!

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400