Strut Replacement Due?

TDI_Cubed

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328dX
How does one determine if the struts need to be replaced? I have tried the "shock absorber" technique, but don't know if that is reliable.

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Leaking is one of the prime indicators... Bounce test should work fine too. I notice the quality of ride over bumps and sound help me to determine when to say when.

Not a job you want to do just because.... Speaking of which... I need to order new rear shocks....

A lot of times, the springs will fail first, and its a heck of a lot easier to replace the whole setup vs. replacing a spring.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I took mine off and discovered that they had no rebound, and this was @ 45K miles.

FlashT

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB - sold
Replacement of the struts should be based primarily on how long they have been on the car. Even if the car passed the "bounce" test, the shocks may still be blown. My car would bounce for about one second when I tested the shocks and struts. There wasn't even oil residue. Despite this, all four shock absorbers were blown out along with the mounts and the strut bearings.

If you do the job yourself, it will cost about $450 for the shocks, mounts, struts, and the various nuts and bolts that get replaced as well. It took me about six hours total. Also, don't use OEM struts. They are too expensive and too soft.

Diesel_Rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon
suspension overall

My suspension on 03 tdi needs an overall. it passes inspection each year, no leaks etc, but is rough on roads, squeaks on every bump because it is relying on the springs. car sits 1 inch lower than it should. handles ok otherwise.

TDI_Cubed

Veteran Member
TDI
14 BMW 328dX
Thanks for the input. I will plan on replacing the struts and shocks, etc. I do plan on performing the work myself, and do not plan on purchasing OEM. Not interested in paying through the wazoo.