Strut Mount Replacement

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Hi,

I took my car recently to get the tracking done and was told by the garage that the strut mount was gone am just inquiring about a pair on ebay but the seller is asking me this question below:

"Can I ask you to confirm if you require this with the bearing or without the mount?"

Am not sure what to tell him, can anyone help please? It's for a MK4 Golf 1.9 tdi PD100.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
If you are going through the trouble of replacing the mount I would replace the bearing as well. It is pretty inexpensive. Unless it was just changed recently it could need replacement if the mount needs it. They are not terribly weatherproof.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
This is the easy way to do the job Link

For the right side, I’d remove the wheel and put a jack under the ball joint and raise the control arm till it's about to lift the car off the jackstand. Then install the spring compressor till it’s snug—it’s already compressed for you. Then when you lower the jack, you’ll be able to R&R the mount and bearing.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
^^^^^^
This! And the left side is even easier. Since I've been doing it this way I can R&R the struts and mounts in an hour......not counting re-assembling the strut and spring assembly.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
This is the easy way to do the job Link

For the right side, I’d remove the wheel and put a jack under the ball joint and raise the control arm till it's about to lift the car off the jackstand. Then install the spring compressor till it’s snug—it’s already compressed for you. Then when you lower the jack, you’ll be able to R&R the mount and bearing.
Putting spring compressors on while mounted? Maybe it's the shortest way if practiced. The easiest way is to undo the ball joint bolts, sway bar link, tie rod, axle nut and strut nut, and remove the whole assembly, and work on it on a bench.

Originally planned on doing my bushings that way, but I'm glad I removed the whole strut, as there was a nice rust build up in just over two years, which was easier to clean that way, and I think it's also very easy to get the spring seat slightly off if not careful, and working almost blindly in the strut tower wouldn't have helped with that.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Jeez guy if your mounts are shot just get a fully loaded strut same work like 75 a side from autozone. Purists will say otherwise but were running near antiques. Bleh blah az parts no good rebuild old cv joints buy raxles all that b s. ..
So throw out prefectly good struts cause a piece of rubber is worn and needs replacing?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Putting spring compressors on while mounted?
Not neccessary. It's possible to re & re both strut mounts & bearings without compressing the springs, done it many times.
The easiest way is to undo the ball joint bolts, sway bar link, tie rod, axle nut and strut nut, and remove the whole assembly, and work on it on a bench.
That's easier than swapping a couple of nuts and jacking up the car a couple of times ?!?

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I think something not being mentioned here is a lot of the "ease" of replacement without having to remove things comes from the type and how worn your control arm bushings are. The more flex you can get out of those, the less you really have to take apart. New TT or poly bushings make that job harder. I bought spring compressors to tackle this job last time and it was much easier.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Thanks guys for the replies I am going to be ordering the strut mounts and bearings today. I was also shown by the guy at the garage that the drivers side track rod end boot was ripped. It seems like a lot of aftermarket sellers are selling the whole track rod end as oppose to just the boots. I was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a replacement set from here in the UK?

I've tried going to VW directly and they sell the whole thing so does euro car parts and GSF here in the UK.

I have inquired about these on eBay, hopefully they fit my vehicle

Thanks

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks guys for the replies I am going to be ordering the strut mounts and bearings today. I was also shown by the guy at the garage that the drivers side track rod end boot was ripped. It seems like a lot of aftermarket sellers are selling the whole track rod end as oppose to just the boots. I was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a replacement set from here in the UK?

I've tried going to VW directly and they sell the whole thing so does euro car parts and GSF here in the UK.

I have inquired about these on eBay, hopefully they fit my vehicle

Thanks
Oh you're in the UK? Cupra bushings are super expensive here in NA, but maybe you could find them for less there? If so I would suggest those. They hardly compress, so they add extra clearance, and should last longer. Here's what they look like on my car.

For the boot, that looks to be what you need. You could also try to find a bad rod end with the boot still intact and use that.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Not neccessary. It's possible to re & re both strut mounts & bearings without compressing the springs, done it many times.

That's easier than swapping a couple of nuts and jacking up the car a couple of times ?!?
It's more straightforward and easier to do the job right for the reasons I mentioned, but yeah it may take a little longer. Forgot to mention the brakes need to be removed as well.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Oh you're in the UK? Cupra bushings are super expensive here in NA, but maybe you could find them for less there? If so I would suggest those. They hardly compress, so they add extra clearance, and should last longer. Here's what they look like on my car.

For the boot, that looks to be what you need. You could also try to find a bad rod end with the boot still intact and use that.
Didn't know there were Cupra bushings for the struts. Next suspension change I suppose...

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what size track rod end boot i would need for my PD100 MK4 Golf Hatchback. I found this seller on ebay and he is selling the following sizes but not sure which one is correct for my car?

SMALL SIZE:
Small Hole - 10mm > 18mm
Big Hole - 25mm > 34mm
Height - 22.5mm
------------------------
MEDIUM SIZE:
Small Hole - 12mm > 20mm
Big Hole - 30mm > 39mm
Height - 27mm
------------------------
LARGE SIZE:
Small Hole - 12mm > 21mm
Big Hole - 35mm > 46mm
Height - 30mm

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows what size track rod end boot i would need for my PD100 MK4 Golf Hatchback. I found this seller on ebay and he is selling the following sizes but not sure which one is correct for my car?

SMALL SIZE:
Small Hole - 10mm > 18mm
Big Hole - 25mm > 34mm
Height - 22.5mm
------------------------
MEDIUM SIZE:
Small Hole - 12mm > 20mm
Big Hole - 30mm > 39mm
Height - 27mm
------------------------
LARGE SIZE:
Small Hole - 12mm > 21mm
Big Hole - 35mm > 46mm
Height - 30mm
Had mine off a few weeks ago, seems like the small one is what you need, but if I were you I'd remove it and take measurements just to make sure.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Had mine off a few weeks ago, seems like the small one is what you need, but if I were you I'd remove it and take measurements just to make sure.
Am not too technical when it comes to taking stuff off i was hoping someone could tell me. When you took yours off was it a MK4 Golf?

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Am not too technical when it comes to taking stuff off i was hoping someone could tell me. When you took yours off was it a MK4 Golf?
Jetta, but it's the same. You mean the tie (track) rod end or the boot? The boot is simple to remove and replace, just watch this video; the procedure is identical :

For the tie rod end, remove the nut, and if the end is stuck in the spindle, while pulling it upwards, hammer away at the spindle as hard as you can right beneath it, and it should eventually pop right off. Make sure to wire brush the threads real well before you loosen the nut, to prevent it from getting stuck midway.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Jetta, but it's the same. You mean the tie (track) rod end or the boot? The boot is simple to remove and replace, just watch this video; the procedure is identical :

For the tie rod end, remove the nut, and if the end is stuck in the spindle, while pulling it upwards, hammer away at the spindle as hard as you can right beneath it, and it should eventually pop right off. Make sure to wire brush the threads real well before you loosen the nut, to prevent it from getting stuck midway.
Thanks so much for the helpful information. I found these on Ebay would you say they would be adequate as they are a small size?

I did the compatibility check and it says it will fit my car but after messaging them to reconfirm they asked me to provide them with the top and bottom hole size of the boot which I have no idea lol.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Am just about order a replacement clutch from eurocarparts but i was just wondering if anyone knew what the difference is between "For Damped Flywheel Clutch" and "Not For Damped Flywheel Clutch" The Sachs one am looking at is not for a damped flywheel clutch and the Valeo is for a damped flywheel just clutch.

My cars completely stock at present.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Dual mass flywheel (damped itself, no damping in clutch disc)

Single mass flywheel (solid metal, clutch disc is damped with springs).

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
Dual mass flywheel (damped itself, no damping in clutch disc)

Single mass flywheel (solid metal, clutch disc is damped with springs).
Thanks for the explanation ive heard dual mass flywheels are better and less nosiy then single mass so am gonna go with a sachs clutch kit.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
I suggest LUK DMF kit. Great pedal feel and holding power.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Didn't know there were Cupra bushings for the struts. Next suspension change I suppose...
Black PowerFlex for the strut mounts. They will not release from the assembled strut like 034's and stock ones will. They also fit the tower cup better.
cheers,
Douglas

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Agreed with JeeTaah. DMF is much quieter and much smoother. Important on a diesel. Imho of course.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Agreed with JeeTaah. DMF is much quieter and much smoother. Important on a diesel. Imho of course.
My SB Stage 2 has a lighter pedal than the OEM clutch had as well as it's not any "noisier". There is no difference as far as smoothness either. That can be overcome how well you've trained your foot. On these cars there's hardly a difference. Where you start to notice the differences between the 2 styles is in 3/4 ton trucks.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Black PowerFlex for the strut mounts. They will not release from the assembled strut like 034's and stock ones will. They also fit the tower cup better.
cheers,
Douglas
What do you mean by release?

I've driven a loaner mk4 tdi with a smf, couldn't notice any difference between it and a dmf, and the clutch engagement was more direct. Was a nice feel. That said I'd still go with the LUK 17 050. Really hard to beat the quality / price.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock ones didn't do that for me, but what is kind of bothersome is that whether or not there will be some rubbing is a crapshoot. Sometimes I'll get that smooth bearing feel, sometimes I'll get rubbery rubbing... installed properly of course.

Bhavick

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9TDI
My mk4 golf has an ATD engine code pd100, am from uk and was just wondering if my car has a SMF or DMF? I've been advised that if its DMF then it's best to get a dampened flywheel and if it's a SMF then not a dampened flywheel.