Strut cup pinch bolt direction...why?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Been curious about this one for a while: Manual is very specific about the replacement pinch bolt (#14 in diagram below) on the strut cup point forward, so head of bolt is pointing to rear of car and nut is at the front-more part of the car.

But yet, EVERY strut I've taken out (all of which have looked to have been factory originals) have the bolt / nut in the opposite orientation (head of bolt at the front).

So, my question: Why the specific direction, but factory installed in opposite direction?

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
That seems totally random. Been a few years since I took apart a MkIV suspension--is there something in the way of removing the bolt on one side and not the other?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
The point has to point forward for aerodynamic. That's why it's a point. Also, sarcastic. But I've installed them both ways with no issues.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
If I recall correctly, some similar era VAG cars (Passat B5, Audi A4 & A6) if the bolt is inserted from the front, the bolt can have clearance issues out the backside. It might have a real purpose, or just became a consistency issue with the manuals??

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I thought about this when I was recently replacing my front suspension. I think maybe it's for safety. If for some reason the nut wasn't tightened and falls off, if you stop suddenly, maybe the bolt could fly forward, out of the strut cup.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
On the B5 the lower rear control arm bolt is installed from the factory such that you need to either cut a window in the subframe to remove it or cut the bolt. The latter is the normal way. On reinstallation you reverse it to remedy the issue.