Stripped MAF security screws

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey folks -

Even with the correct security bit, both MAF element screws stripped - even after putting them under hot water/using liquid wrench.

So. Any tips? What might possibly work to get these out? I would rather not order a new housing!

Thanks!

Jud.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Cut a slot with a dremel and use a flat head screwdriver.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
^^^ Yup I agree with above that's about your only option short of tack welding something to the top of it to spin it out. Then ditch those security head torx's (they're not even a standard security head...I have a set of keys made for security torx's and they didn't even work) and get some stainless button head cap screws with an allen head

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just to be clear, many Bosch MAFs use Tamper Proof Torx Plus screws. These have FIVE points, not six. They are not the same as every other Torx (standard Torx, Torx Plus, Tamper Proof Torx) as those all have six points.

I have never once even come close to messing one of those screws up with the proper tool. They just thread into plastic, and there is no glue or sealer or anything.

However, a new Bosch MAF will come in its housing anyway, and all you need to remove it from the air cleaner housing is a Phillips.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I got the tool from IDParts, just in case. It did seem to have the correct number of points, but the fit was not deep or well seated, so to speak, so it was entirely too easy to strip.

gforce1108 - dang good idea. I'll do that later today or tomorrow.

Update: the dremel did the trick. Replaced MAF sensor. Still have the flooding going on - drop to 2nd, go around corner, hit throttle even a little bit and car starts to flood, eventually get a small cloud of black smoke out the exhaust, clears, and then accelerates fine. I need to drive her more and hopefully she'll learn the new MAF and that will help. Not many more tricks up my sleeve to cure this issue. Maybe a new fuel filter...but then, it seems like the problem is most definitely air at low rpm, not fuel.

Last edited: