Strange startup sometimes

Andrei Rinea

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0 TDI 170HP (engine CBBB)
Problem:
--------
Sometimes when I start the car in the cold (in the morning) it acts a little strange: The RPM-meter (whatever is called) stays about half a line BELOW the normal idle speed for 2 seconds. In those short 2 seconds it runs rough probably because it is under-reved and it doesn't respond to the throttle pedal in any way. Ofcourse this all disappears instantly (not gradually) after those 2 seconds.

What I inspected:
-----------------
First I thought glow plugs but I don't think that could be because it should run rough for longer than that. Temps here are around 23F (-5C).

Other info:
-----------
I should mention here I had some months ago the electronic command block off the injection pump and air cleaned (it used to stuck and had horrible idle and shudder in some regimes). Since then I didn't have any symptoms of stucks of that electronic command block (BTW how is it called? It is on top of the injection pump).

And last thing I should add to this part is that once I got off a high point with the front part of the car fast and I hit hard things under (inspected and no problem (no oil pan crack, no nothing bent/cracked/etc) but after 10 seconds from then the idle went very low, the car RESPONDED to the throttle pedal but it got very little fuel that if I wanted to start off the car would die. After 2 restarts all was fine as if nothing happened. This was 4 weeks ago.

Thank you for any input

Andrei.

Robble

TDI
Golf GL TDI, 1995, Red
When its cold, mine runs rough for a couple of seconds as well. I think its normal. Its fine afterwards.

Rob

Robble

TDI
Golf GL TDI, 1995, Red
Hi Andrei

When I start it and its cold it revs to 1000 rpm for a couple of seconds then settles down to about 900. It does run slightly rough but again that stops after a few seconds. It does respond tot he throttle pedal too as soon as I start it. Sounds like yours is not right.
Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can help you.