strange screechy sound at startup 2006 TDI

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI

I'm having a problem that seems to be on cold startup of my 2006 MK5 Jetta. It seems to go away when the car has been warmed up. I did read a thread that it may be the starter needs to be taken off, and cleaned, but that was for the MK4. I also did read about something similar on an MK5, but the youtube link wasn't available anymore.

I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this, and could provide some assistance.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Your vids are set to private so nobody can see them

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
Sounds like a bearing. Maybe probe around with a stethoscope to locate the noisy part. Or temporarily remove the serpentine belt, and if that eliminates the noise, then it's part of that group. If it's the water pump or something else in the timing group, then fix it immediately.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd pull the belt and check the tensioner and the alternator pulley, it should be clutched but they can seize up causing the tensioner to bounce about and rattle at idle.

Also as above, see if it's quiet with no belt, if so then at least you can check all the components in there

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
so doing a little research, and testing. I'm thinking that it is the pulley that the alternator is attached to. I was reading that I should be able to go into the back other side of the alternator(not Pulley side), and I should be able to spin the inner fins freely. That does not seem to be the case. I tried in both directions, and they don't seem to move. Does that seem like an issue?

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Locking off the fan on the alternator you should be able to move the pulley one way but not the other, if that's what you mean then yeh, sounds like the pulley has seized up.

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
so I am tyring to get this alternator pulley off of the alternator. It looks like the alternator shaft should turn counter-clockwise, whilethe pulley should be locked in place. I'm having a difficult time getting the alternator shaft to start turning with the tool that I got. I just soaked it in pbblaster..so hopefully that will do the trick.

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
I'm almost thinking that someone who worked on the alternator may have stripped the inner threading for the alternator groves. When I put in the new tool that ID parts sent me..I feel very little resistance..so now I'm wondering if I should just do the alternator as well. There is just very little resistance.

spfrancis

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI
so replacing the alternator seemed to have fixed the problem. I'm thinking it was bad bearings or something.