Strange noise

LearDriver

TDI
06 Jetta
Hello All

I have an 06 Jetta tdi with 102k miles. It has started makeing a sound like a pump when you turn the car on (engine not running). It sounds like a small air pump and it sounds like it is coming form the glove compartment area. It is louder in the cabin than inthe engine bay. Motor runs smooth and good, millage is right on. It will make the noise again while running, and while driving. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thaks :confused:

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
Is the noise present with the HVAC turned off?

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I want to say exhaust leak, but you said it's louder on the inside and stops after you start going. Could it be something rattling when you are first taking off in first gear (is it a manual) and the transmission is engaging?

LearDriver

TDI
06 Jetta
I want to say exhaust leak, but you said it's louder on the inside and stops after you start going. Could it be something rattling when you are first taking off in first gear (is it a manual) and the transmission is engaging?
The sound starts with the engine not running, ignition/battery on.

LearDriver

TDI
06 Jetta
one of the heater flap motors perhaps? Does it stop if you press the Recirc button?
We have a winner :) The sound does not go away with the pressing of the recirc button but it does change, with every push of the button. Now for the fix. Where is it, how do I get to it and where can I get the parts at a fair price?