Strange idle issue on modded BEW

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
Strange but my 04 BEW sedan that has a know good cam, have upgraded injectors, intercooler, 17/22, 3" exhaust and Malone custom tune runs great except engine idles rough enough to shake inside when car is stopped on a upward grade. When car is flat it does not do it.

Any suggestions?:confused:

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 MK4 Jetta (ALH) "Betty" (sold), 2005 MK4 Jetta (BEW) "Stinky-Pete"
Have you looked at your engine mounts? Might be a loose or broken engine mount bolt or tired rubber inserts. If you don't like vibration then stay away from polyurethane replacements of any kind.
I went with Prothane red inserts for the dogbone and vibration was terrible then finally re-installed my OEM inserts after filling the grooves in the rubber with polyurethane sealant and allowing three weeks to cure enough to be durable. Now there's no more vibration at idle and not much at all when engaging the clutch with the added benefit of a lot less of that embarrassing wheel hop

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
Replaced those a couple months ago will all oem and had them double checked buy guru. That is a neat idea about filling the remainder with poly. Still do not know what to look out for????????? I had a rattle ant it turned out to be the section where the new exhaust mount infront mounts to the frame but had the pegs welded and it was fine. This is a slight shake on small incline to one that you can feel in the back on a large one at a stop but when you are moving can not feel it going up and down hills.

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
Replaced those a couple months ago will all oem and had them double checked buy guru. That is a neat idea about filling the remainder with poly. Still do not know what to look out for????????? I had a rattle ant it turned out to be the section where the new exhaust mount infront mounts to the frame but had the pegs welded and it was fine. This is a slight shake on small incline to one that you can feel in the back on a large one at a stop but when you are moving can not feel it going up and down hills.
If the vibration decreases rather than get worse (at rest on an incline) when you increase RPM then I would look at the engine mounts.
Other members here have noticed their cars pulling left or right under acceleration because their engine mounts weren't aligned properly. Although most if not all replaced their OEM with aftermarket engine mounts and maybe that's why they didn't notice extra vibration with the car idling on an incline.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
If the vibration decreases rather than get worse (at rest on an incline) when you increase RPM then I would look at the engine mounts.
Other members here have noticed their cars pulling left or right under acceleration because their engine mounts weren't aligned properly. Although most if not all replaced their OEM with aftermarket engine mounts and maybe that's why they didn't notice extra vibration with the car idling on an incline.
No vibration on incline increases with no gas pedal the wore the incline, flat surface no vibration, 15% front, 25% front and back. As said before the engine mounts were OEM VW and double checked by guru and given OK.

Not engine mounts does not pull to right or left, and goes away when pedal is applied?????

Lensdude_com

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe the vibration can be attributed to rough idle as a result of your tune. If you still idle at 900 rpm then try raising that to 925 or so with VCDS and see if that decreases vibration... I have no idea how idling the car on an incline would affect it though... still wanna say dogbone