Strange cruise control issue

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
2004 Jetta 5 speed -

This has happened about 5 times now - and strangely it seems to happen on very hot days...Car is parked all day, I leave work and get on the interstate after a mile or so of driving and a stop sign or two. Get into cruising speed in 5th and the cruise control doesn't engage.

I flip the toggle switch on an off, hit the breaks hard, push the clutch in, shift out of 5th and go into neutral and back into 5th, still doesn't turn on.
The one thing that seems to reset it or make it work is if I actually downshift to 4th and then back into 5th. CC goes right on like nothing happened and doesn't act up again the rest of the drive

Any ideas? No codes on vcds, maybe I should plug it in when I can't engage CC and check something?

I recently got a scangauge II (this never happened before using it) and it's plugged in all the time, but I can't see this interfering. It has happened about once a week in the last 4-5 weeks.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
If you have vcds you can check the switch to see if it's working.
Under central electrics turn the stalk switch on and off you should see if it changes from 0 to 1, also check the clutch switch while you're there which sounds like the culprit

Sent from my Current time and location