Strange clicking/rattling noise coming from near pedals -- 2015 Golf SE TDI

fingle85

TDI
2015 Golf
While running the Golf is making this weird clicking noise that comes and goes every 30 seconds or so. It sounds like it’s coming from under the steering column, behind the pedals or maybe behind the central console. Doesn’t matter if I’m driving or idling at standstill. Any idea what it could be?

I drove up to the mountains this weekend where the car was parked in a cold garage for a couple of days. I noticed the sound when I drove home Sunday, so maybe it could have been from something freezing?

Link to video of sound recorded.

fingle85

TDI
2015 Golf
I just went out to test it again and realized that the engine doesn't even need to be on for the sound to start. It happens when I turn the car on, but not start the engine. You can reproduce the sound each time I turn it on and off. This is with the AC off. And it is DSG.

New video: Rattle from Golf 2 3_23.MOV

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
Could be an HVAC actuator. I heard a clicking noise from the area you're describing for a month or so before I lost all air flow to the foot vents when the actuator died.

fingle85

TDI
2015 Golf
Could be an HVAC actuator. I heard a clicking noise from the area you're describing for a month or so before I lost all air flow to the foot vents when the actuator died.
It happens when the air both on and off. It’s almost like when the battery turns the car on, it triggers something that fails. But I have noticed that the AC has been less cold in recent months than it used to be. I’m taking it to the dealer next week to get checked out. Sigh.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Be sure to post back what you find - very curious as to what that is.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
That is a weird sound. Do you have climatronic or climatic? Wonder if the system is trying to reposition something, even with the HVAC off.

Any codes?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The repetitive rhythmic nature of it sounds like something spinning against something else, kinda catching and rolling it over, then repeating.
If it was my car, I'd have the cabin filter out and looking at the HVAC fan (yes - even though it happens with HVAC off) and running something through the air conduit to see if it was clear.
And when that turned up nothing, pull out the MMI display and try to more accurately pinpoint / isolate the source of the noise.

fingle85

TDI
2015 Golf
Update: Looks like it is something with the HVAC system. The AC works, but not very well and I had a mechanic take a look. He said he thought the AC had a broken switch. So now the question is...do you take something like this to a VW tech or should the dealership handle? Seems like it could be a finicky issue.