Strange 2015 Touareg TDI Malfunction

jfalabella

TDI
2015 Touareg Executive
I drive my 2015 Executive fairly regularly on the highway. It has around 75K miles on it. For example, I had returned from a 350-mile round trip less than a week ago, 78-80 mph the whole way. Idling in the driveway for about 15-minutes, I witnessed a very foul-smelling smoke emanating from what appeared to be under the car. It worked its way into the interior as well. At first, I thought it was an electrical fire but it did not really smell entirely like melting wires. I shut the car off and aired it out and let it cool off. Then I poked around the two areas I had recently worked on the car - I replaced the battery and I dealt with the leaky passenger side where the drain tube clogs. Both repair sites seemed like I had not done anything stupid. The battery is a factory replacement and carefully installed just like the old one. I tried to start the car. This is where it gets weird. The car began to crank and then abruptly stopped turning in less than a 1/4 of a revolution. That's when I slammed the hood and went inside (dejected). The next day I charged the battery fully and tried it again. Same symptom. I then ran a Ross-Tech auto-scan and went through the error codes. There were a lot of them but nothing jumped out at me. After saving off the scan, I cleared all the codes and ran an auto-scan again. It only threw 4 codes and they all appeared benign. Now when I try to start it, nothing happens, so the symptom mysteriously changed between two back-to-back attempts. It does not appear to crank the motor at all. Should I put a wrench on the motor and try to turn it and see if it is locked up mechanically? Ideas to narrow down the problem? Recommendations for a good TDI mechanic in the northeast (I am in East Burke, VT). Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I understand that these cars need to be re-coded after a battery change. I had mine changed in a 2012 and the dealer worked for at least 30 minutes coding the system to the battery.
It's above my pay grade and let the dealer handle the job.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yep, if the coding is not done, the alternator will overcharge the battery and cook it in short order. That may have been the smell (the battery boiling its guts out) and now it is dead.

Check it with a volt meter. Nominal should be 12.6v at least. If it is less than 11v, it is suspect, and if it is less than about 9.5v, it's dead.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
wow didnot know that about the battery change. I have VCDS that i will need to look up this procedure

jfalabella

TDI
2015 Touareg Executive
Yep, if the coding is not done, the alternator will overcharge the battery and cook it in short order. That may have been the smell (the battery boiling its guts out) and now it is dead.

Check it with a volt meter. Nominal should be 12.6v at least. If it is less than 11v, it is suspect, and if it is less than about 9.5v, it's dead.
My battery is at 12.15V. Measured off the battery itself. Is there are fusible link somewhere I should check to see if it is toasted? Could the battery still be the culprit? Should I have it stress tested to be sure?

jfalabella

TDI
2015 Touareg Executive
My battery is at 12.15V. Measured off the battery itself. Is there are fusible link somewhere I should check to see if it is toasted? Could the battery still be the culprit? Should I have it stress tested to be sure?
And I did not know about the coding. Damn. You'd think the BMW parts counter would tell you that or that the battery would come with a CAUTION label of some sort. So, I could have partially boiled my battery. The smell kind of makes me think that is the case.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
A reasonable person might believe the car, being so smart, would be able to sense the new battery and make the necessary adjustments.

I see more and more evidence of automakers using software to sabotage these vehicles all so the unwitting customer must return, wallet in hand, to the thieving mothership.

oilhammer

TDI
I think they could avoid a lot by just placing a giant, brightly colored placard over the battery stating that the car must have its charging system reset or damage can result.

jfalabella

TDI
2015 Touareg Executive
A reasonable person might believe the car, being so smart, would be able to sense the new battery and make the necessary adjustments.

I see more and more evidence of automakers using software to sabotage these vehicles all so the unwitting customer must return, wallet in hand, to the thieving mothership.
From a business model perspective, decisions in this vein do indeed make sense for the manufacturer. In Europe, there is some legislation of late to force manufacturers to make their goods more repairable. The legislation is weak, but it is a start in the right direction. I have referred to all of this as the "toaster syndrome" meaning how much would you pay for a properly built toaster that is repairable rather than chucking a toaster in a landfill every three years and purchasing a new, poorly built new one. Have you folks ever noticed how many propane grilles are piled up the "recycling center"? Sorry to digress. Back to the Touareg. Does anybody have suggestions on next steps? Local dealer, that I have little faith in, can't even look at the car for a month.

oilhammer

TDI
If your battery is showing 12.15v, that *should* be enough to crank the engine (it may seem slightly slow). But, it may be showing a bogus surface charge, and as soon as any load (like the starter motor) is placed on it, it drops too low to even pull the bendix in.

Assuming you do not have a proper battery tester, but you do have a decent DVOM, I would check the voltage while trying to crank the engine. If it drops off right away to 9v or less, it's toast.

I'd also see about clearing ALL DTCs in ALL of the modules, disconnecting the battery, and reconnecting it.

jfalabella

TDI
2015 Touareg Executive
If your battery is showing 12.15v, that *should* be enough to crank the engine (it may seem slightly slow). But, it may be showing a bogus surface charge, and as soon as any load (like the starter motor) is placed on it, it drops too low to even pull the bendix in.

Assuming you do not have a proper battery tester, but you do have a decent DVOM, I would check the voltage while trying to crank the engine. If it drops off right away to 9v or less, it's toast.

I'd also see about clearing ALL DTCs in ALL of the modules, disconnecting the battery, and reconnecting it.
Thanks so much. Do have a DVOM and will do all of the above. Fingers crossed that I just toasted the brand new battery.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
First of all, I'd focus on this.... change your battery and\or try a different key.

Code:
Address 05: Ace/Start Auth. (J393) Labels:. 8K0-907-064-05.clb Part No SW: 4H0 907 064 FK HW: 4H0 907 064 EK
Component: BCM2 2.0 H36 0560
Revision: 00002001
Coding: 0D860016000000000000 Shop#: WSC 31414 790 00001 VCID: 77BE34DCC69F673170-8022
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 4H0 905 852 B HW: 4H0 905 852 B Component: J764 ELV MLB H40 0046
Serial number: 3214000180490014

1 Fault Found:
00956- Key 2
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100010
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 219
Mileage: 115724 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2021.10.17
Time: 09:39:30

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Next, the incorrectly coded cluster..... did you mess with coding trying to enable something like gear display, etc?
Code:
Address 17: Instruments (J285) Labels:! 7P6-920-xxx-17.clb-SRl1 Part No SW: 7P6 920 983 D HW: 7P6 920 983 D
Component: Kombi H13 0515
Revision: 13240300 Serial number: 658141214592004 Coding: 8B5733026E08CF05020004
Shop#: WSC 31414 790 00001
ASAM Dataset: EV KombiUDSRBVW526 001022 ROD: EV_KombiUDSRBVW526.rod (VIN: N/A) VCID: 40CC9F00DBD1E08901-8014
[LIST]
[*]Fault Found:
[/LIST]
13636608 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded U1014 00 [009] - -
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 6
Fault Frequency: 3
Reset counter: 180
Mileage: 108798 km
Date: 2021.06.17
Time: 08:55:01

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And these are pretty serious.... I feel like you're not telling us the whole story here..... did you get your ECU flashed and or try to swap ECMs from an unfixed vehicle or something?
Code:
Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels:* None Part No SW: 7P6 907 530 N HW: 7P6 907 530 G Component: GW-CAN-L-FR-M H13 6042
Revision:------------ Serial number: 00000001688668
Coding: 000103AD00
Shop#: WSC 31414 790 00001 GVL:FB5F40655D6F680000
ASAM Dataset: EV GatewVW526UDS 001007 ROD: EV_GatewUDS_VW52.rod (VIN: N/A) VCID: 43C6900CCAC7FB911C-8016
Battery Monitoring Control Module:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 7P0 915 181 B HW: 7P0 915 181
Component: Batt_Sensor H07 0190 Serialnumber:31343652085701193476
[LIST]
[*]Faults Found:
[/LIST]
4224 - No Communication with Engine Control Module (SAE ECM/PCM) U0100 00 [008] - -
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 2
Reset counter: 10
Mileage: 116684 km
Date: 2021.10.30
Time: 13:26:29
Voltage terminal 30: 12.0 V
Voltage terminal 15: 0.0 V
Control Module temperature: 14 °C System status: A-/F-CAN / FlexRay_active IN ESP_standstill flag: standstill detected Engine running: OFF
IN ZAS Te X: OFF
Terminal 15 status via CAN: OFF Terminal 15 status: OFF Datenfeld: 0
0021 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded U1014 00 [009] - -
[Steuergerat falsch codiert (CAN)] Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 3
Voltage terminal 30: 12.7 V
Voltage terminal 15: 12.7 V Control Module temperature: 37 °C System status: Terminal 15 on
IN ESP_standstill flag: standstill detected Engine running: OFF
IN ZAS Te X: On
Terminal 15 status via CAN: On Terminal 15 status: On Datenfeld: 0

jfalabella

TDI
2015 Touareg Executive
Full story provided. I am not one to mess with much other than trying to keep my cars running. There are no other changes to this car other than what I have mentioned - replaced the battery with a factory-fresh VW unit (without coding it) and fixing the damn water issue on the passenger side from a clogged condensation drain tube. I bought the car from a dealer after Dieselgate mods were in place and have driven it with no issues ever since then. That is 50K miles of driving and regular maintenance of oil, flushes, tires, brakes, etc... I have cleared all DTC codes and have disconnected the battery. About to go hook it up and see what has changed. I will try another key, will properly code the battery and I will even try another battery if none of that helps.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OK.... well, battery issues have thrown many Touaregs into lots of spins.
Make sure that you clear all codes and are not showing the authorization and engine control faults as those will for sure cause you issues.
If you have prior scans saved, you may be able to read the "correct" coding on that module that isn't accepting the coding now.

jfalabella

TDI
2015 Touareg Executive
Interesting. I had not thought of that approach. THANKS. I am quite sure I have an old scan to refer to. So often I find that problems stem from the most obvious place starting from what has changed. I am still betting it is an over-charged battery problem stemming from not coding the thing. The odd stench could have been the smell of a battery being boiled to death. Heading out for another round.

jfalabella

TDI
2015 Touareg Executive
I went on a bit of a wild goose chase with the software but I am back with an interesting DTC that is plausible. Here it is...
-------
1 Fault Found:
5456 - Starter Will Not Turn
P3054 00 [167] - Jammed or Electrical Malfunction
MIL ON - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 2
Mileage: 116682 km
Date: 2021.11.02
Time: 00:34:54

Engine RPM: 0.00 /min
Normed load value: 0.0 %
Vehicle speed: 0 km/h
Coolant temperature: 5 ∞C
Intake air temperature: 7 ∞C
Ambient air pressure: 980 mbar
Voltage terminal 30: 11.360 V
Unlearning counter according OBD: 40
Accelerator pedal travel: 0.00 %
Starter control: Interlock- or P/N-signal-Bits 0-7: 17
Engine status: COENG_READY
Engine status-Test_Program_Co Eng st COMPU VERB UBYTE: 1

Symptoms that make this plausible in my head are...
  • stench from smoke did have an electrical flavor to it.
  • the battery is fine. load tested on a GRX-3000 battery diagnostics station (did not cook the battery to death by not coding it)
  • on my first/second attempt to start it after the smoke and letting the thing cool down, it felt like a mechanical "stop" of motor turning
  • subsequent attempts had no mechanical "stop" sound.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
  • on my first/second attempt to start it after the smoke and letting the thing cool down, it felt like a mechanical "stop" of motor turning
  • subsequent attempts had no mechanical "stop" sound.
What? And you still attempted to crank it over AFTER that experience without finding out what stopped it?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pull the glow plugs and try to turn the engine over manually at this stage... forget about the starter not working... at lest that's what I would do.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Actually, I'll retract that statement.....
I just re-read the whole post. You said this happened after just driving it back, so there's little to no reason to believe that there's an engine mechanical failure. You also stated smoke\stink.....

Have you put a meter on the starter yet to validate that it's getting both constant power and solenoid power?

jfalabella

TDI
2015 Touareg Executive
Actually, I'll retract that statement.....
I just re-read the whole post. You said this happened after just driving it back, so there's little to no reason to believe that there's an engine mechanical failure. You also stated smoke\stink.....

Have you put a meter on the starter yet to validate that it's getting both constant power and solenoid power?
I have not as I have no means of getting the car on a lift. Laying on the ground is all I have to work with at the moment until my shop is built next Spring. Can't wait to have a damn lift. Can you even get to the starter from up top or crawling under the car on a jack stand?

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It won't be easy.... it should be on the passenger side behind the alternator.... you should be able to struggle and get a meter on it without pulling things apart.... if you need to pull the starter, I think you have to yank the alternator and I've seen others yank the motor mount in order to get clearance.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Id check the alternator. I've heard of them being seized and cause the engine not to turn over. Pull the serp belt off and see if you can turn the alternator pulley. It will also cause smoke/stink. I've seen this a couple of times too. Just something easy to check before you go ripping things off.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Make sure you have access to a T60 driver because that's how large that tensioner bolt is. I recently had to take my belt off and ended up going to buy one in the middle of the job because all my sets only went up to T55 around the house.

bfagrell

TDI
2013 VW Touareg
I have the exact same issue with my 2013 Touareg TDI. The smell, a recent leak from the sunroof, but on the drivers side. I let the car idle for about 20 minutes, then decided not to go out, so I went out to turn the car off and it was idling fine, but had the odd burning smell inside. Just turned the car off. Next morning went out to start the car and it just makes one click and did not start. Replaced the battery with a Factory VW battery and it does the same single click. Towed it to the dealer and they said the engine is locked up and quoted me $20,500 to rebuild the engine!! They said maybe the timing chain has broken, but the car idled fine the last time it ran, so I find that hard to believe. Had the car towed back home and want to figure out what actually is wrong. Did jfalabella ever resolve his issue? Any advice from the group?