Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I asked a guy at a pump in NJ. I pulled up to a pump in NJ on the thruway and asked him about it. He said that because it's the thruway, I'm not allowed for liability reasons, but some other pumps on other regular roads can let you pump your own.
But, does anyone actually have a page out of the law book where it states what is allowed and what isn't allowed?
It's been discussed ad nauseum in this thread. Just search. I'm sure someone somewhere posted a copy of the NJ law.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Overflow is probably what he meant. But hopefully the stones you are talking about are above the fill hole, then this won't happen. Mine is on the outside by the fuel filler anyway.
Flow from the truck stop's DEF pump gets stopped abrubtly at the instant the DEF tank plus filler neck goes full, forcing some DEF through the air stone vents. There is no risk of this happening when gravity filling with a funnel. BMW dealers have replaced a number of cracked DEF tanks under warranty after they were collapsed during the car's next DEF pump-out due to clogged air stone vents from crystallized DEF.

I absolutely WILL NOT use a DEF pump to fill the DEF tanks in my cars. I DIY all DEF fills with a funnel. It takes a little longer but there's no risk of damage.

Last edited:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I've never had an issue pumping my own diesel or gas anywhere that didnt have the attendant card swipe requirement. Most times the attendant is thankful because I'm making his job easier.
You (legally) pumping your own diesel frees the attendant up to help waiting gasser customers.

The recommendation I've read is to get out of the car and watch the attendant like a hawk to make absolutely sure they grab the diesel nozzle and not the gasoline nozzle. Be prepared to intervene if necessary and stop them if they grab the wrong nozzle. Let the attendant start the pump and then tell them you'll take over from there. Usually they are OK with that because like you said it makes their job easier.

Last edited:

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
There is no momentum in the tank as all of the fluid is not moving is the same direction. Nor is there an internally higher pressure as the tank is open to atmosphere and there is nothing trying to force more fluid into the tank. There could be a water hammer effect inside the pump hose but that doesn't have anything to do with the tank itself. it is physically impossible for it to happen in the tank simply from filling it with the hose.

The only thing I could see happening is that the fluid knocks a stone loose from normal flow. Like when you wash off you a patio with the hose. But it has nothing to do with water hammer or stopping flow. And if the stones are at the air vent near the top of the tank, this is a very unlikely scenario.

Fluid mechanics does not support your hypothesis and whoever told you that this happens is just plain wrong. There is no danger from using a DEF pump just like theres no danger from using a fuel pump.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Since my MK V Jetta doesn't require DEF, what are air stone vents used for in the DEF tank? Are they for diffusing air into the fluid like they do in aquariums?

pbkid6974

TDI
none yet
Since my MK V Jetta doesn't require DEF, what are air stone vents used for in the DEF tank? Are they for diffusing air into the fluid like they do in aquariums?
I'm pretty sure they use porous stones as a filter for the air vents. Just keeps the vapor from escaping but let's air to flow in and out as needed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I asked a guy at a pump in NJ. I pulled up to a pump in NJ on the thruway and asked him about it. He said that because it's the thruway, I'm not allowed for liability reasons, but some other pumps on other regular roads can let you pump your own.
But, does anyone actually have a page out of the law book where it states what is allowed and what isn't allowed?
Never filled up on the Turnpike, but I've done so many times on the Garden State Parkway. Never had an attendant bother me about topping off once the pump stops.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
had someone pull to the other side of the pump when i was at holiday. (come on they are between the gas pumps) Poked my head around. said he was at the wrong pump. he looked confused for a sec. then said center was diesel. he then nonchalantly rolled sis truck back a few feet.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Went to fill up at a Fastrip station in Gridley, CA. What a zoo - two islands with 3 pumps on both. Islands are just under three car lengths, with the diesel pumps in the middle and the gasoline ones on each end. Station is on a small corner lot, with no directional control for the pump lines. I was at the middle with a car facing me getting gas and one behind me getting gas. Oh, D2 was 1.859 and RG $1.899.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
Went to fill up at a Fastrip station in Gridley, CA. What a zoo - two islands with 3 pumps on both. Islands are just under three car lengths, with the diesel pumps in the middle and the gasoline ones on each end. Station is on a small corner lot, with no directional control for the pump lines. I was at the middle with a car facing me getting gas and one behind me getting gas. Oh, D2 was 1.859 and RG $1.899.

Now thats fascinating!!

And on VE Day 75 too!!

asgoodasdead

TDI
2011 Jettta Sportwagen TDI
i live in NJ and usually pump my own. especially since i started using the apps to pay for gas, you dont have to worry about the attendant card issue. and the attendant is always thankful

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
Stopped to get fuel in the mountains this weekend after driving through RockyMountain National Park, and I got a full house of diesel encounters in one stop.

First I pulled in to find someone blocking the diesel pump, I pull up infront of him blocking a gas pump and watch him typing away on his phone for 5mins without once looking up.. then pulls in a Jeep w/a Popup camper behind him, he looks up from his phone see's someone is waiting behind him and decides to start up and leave.. The Jeep tries to take the pump but I wave him off, but he's a diesel too so now he's waiting for the other diesel pump that has an empty car sitting at it.. all the gas only pumps are empty.

I fill it up, move it out of the pumps and go inside to grab a soda for me and my son.. when I get up the counter and am paying another clerk walks up and with a crap eating grin on his face asks me: "Your car takes gasoline right?", I was a little taken back so I just go "Huh", his grin gets bigger and he repeats him self.. yeah he said what I thought he said.. I shake my head and say "No, it takes diesel", his resting ***** face suddenly returns with an "Oh" and he walks off..

so in one stop I got:
- All D2 pumps occupied by vehicles not pumping any fuel.
- Two Diesel SUV's fighting for the same pump.
- A White Knight who thought I filled up w/the wrong fuel.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
That last guy wasn't a white knight - white knights save people. He was just a jerk who was waiting to laugh at someone else's misfortune.

Cheers,

PH

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
lol true enough, I guess he never tried to stop me and just wanted to make me the idiot... glad i was able to return the favor.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Not really a story to tell. But when prices look like this it is definitely cheaper to drive a Volkswagen! Gotta love the lil diesel.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

MG19

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI with DSG
Well, I have a two-part story from today, and one part is the opposite of most of these stories! So earlier today I ran to the gas station with my tdi, but to fill up a gas can for our lawn mower. So I parked by the gasoline pump (this station has separate gas/diesel pumps), and went inside to buy some stabilizer (it's a big gas can).

Now just for some context, my car is still decorated from an event that had happened, and my pump was right outside the clerk's window. Now while I was getting my stabilizer off the shelf, I hear the clerk asking this lady who was checking out about that car that's parked by the pump (my car).
She says something like, "I don't know whose it is, but I think that car takes diesel!"
The shelf with stabilizer was right by the door, so on her way out I was like oh you're talking about that car? She was like yeah, that Volkswagen, and she walks out.
I pay for my stabilizer, tell the cashier that it's my car, yes, it takes diesel, and I'm just here to fill a gas can. He says ok.

So I go back out to fill the gas can, and as I'm fiddling with the cap this guy comes up behind me and is like "Hey, you like your TDI?" and we get into a conversation. He has a PD year tdi with a manual and was saying how he has 200k miles and still gets 50 mpg.
It was my first random diesel bonding at a pump, so that was fun!

So yeah, in one fill up I had someone take note how I was parked by the gas pump with a diesel car, and some TDI bonding!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Got some funny looks from the UPS guy who was filling his cube van at the gas pump as I pulled in to the diesel pump in my little Golf.
$1.039 for diesel ($2.89USD/US gal)
$1.279 for RUG ($3.56USD/US gal)

WINNING! :D

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
Today I filled up just north of Sacramento at $2.55/gallon and when I was back in the Bay Area a few hours later the cheapest fuel I saw was $3.27 a gallon and the highest $4.49/gallon. The spread is just so great that I have stopped trying to make sense of it.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Today I filled up just north of Sacramento at $2.55/gallon and when I was back in the Bay Area a few hours later the cheapest fuel I saw was $3.27 a gallon and the highest $4.49/gallon. The spread is just so great that I have stopped trying to make sense of it.
In Gridley, it is $2.45 at the Fastrip station, and $2.49 around the corner from me at the Feather Falls Rancheria Mini-mart.

TDI-WNC

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5-speed
Anyone run into stations swapping the 15/16" diesel nozzle for the 1-3/16" nozzle, which are too large for a TDI.

Saw a posting where a guy said 3 of the 4 stations near him had done that on all diesel pumps. Forget what part of the country he was in.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Anyone run into stations swapping the 15/16" diesel nozzle for the 1-3/16" nozzle, which are too large for a TDI.

Saw a posting where a guy said 3 of the 4 stations near him had done that on all diesel pumps. Forget what part of the country he was in.

Last 2 times I’ve bought liquid fossils it was from 1” plus diameter nozzles. They fit fine in both my VW and Sprinter, but not by much. No idea how comma they are, I haven’t been to a gas station since February

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
lots of them are the bigger ones around here
what sucks worse is that the truck pumps will often try and put a hold on 500 bucks instead of the normal 75
which for whatever reason my card does not like one bit

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Only places I've seen the High Flow nozzles are at separate islands where large trucks can refuel.
At mixed gasoline and diesel pump islands, the diesel pumps have the old leaded gasoline nozzles and the gas pumps have the smaller unleaded gas nozzles

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Just about everywhere in KS that caters to Autos, it has been the 15/16th's nozzle on the pumps. Only see the big high flow nozzles at the (big) truck pumps.

However - YOU should be prepared by carrying an adapter. I do in my Golf, but there is no need in my Beetle. That said, even in the Beetle I prefer the autodiesel pumps.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I've actually seen both sizes on a single set of pumps. It's usually on the outside facing pumps. Both sizes work just fine in my truck.