Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
I'm guessing that at some point some moron has filled a gasser with diesel and then blamed the station.
Which is pretty hard to do with any car manufactured since about... was it 1975 that catalytic converters were introduced across the board?

A diesel nozzle, even one for auto diesel, is still too large to fit into an unleaded fuel filling spout.
If the pump was fitted with an unleaded nozzle, it will fit most modern cars (ironically, the ones it won't fit are diesels with misfueling guards).

My mother's '78 Horizon didn't have a cat. Also, ads for the K-cars around that time bragged about how they ran on regular leaded gas (which was cheaper than unleaded).

When unleaded first came in, I recall seeing an unleaded pump with the warning sticker on the side "For use as a motor fuel only. Contains lead antiknock additives."

MP517PRCT

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen, 2011 Touareg TDI Lux
Had a good one this morning...

Stopped at Royal Farms in Cockeysville, MD ($2.29 vs. $2.69 around York, PA)

All of the combo pumps were filled by gassers save one, an orange cone in front of it and a bag over the gas handle (but none over the diesel handle).

I pulled up, filled up, and got on my way without hassle. It felt like I had my own "reserved" pump! :D

oprn

TDI
2002 Jetta
I'm new here but enjoying the stories!

A couple years back I just happened to be in town on New Year's day and went over to the card lock station and filled up the Jetta TDI. As I was finishing the fill (was only down 1/2 a tank) another local drove up in a typical US built Diesel 4X4, Thunder Monster, all loaded Redneck pickup truck. As he was putting the filler nozzle into the slip tank in the truck box, my pump clicked off and he leaned over to see how many liters it was.
I said to him in a disgusted tone, "Ya, it took 28 liters last year too!"

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
This happened tonight at RMZ Truck Stop in Londonderry, NH. My wife Lisa took some cell phone pics while I fueled up my X5 35d.

The pics say it all.... :cool:

The driver of the big rig next to my X5 35d asked me about MPGs and tank range etc. He said his rig has about the same tank range as my X5 35d has (600 miles) but averages around 5.4 MPG. It was a good random diesel bonding moment.

I recommend this truck stop to diesel owners in the southern NH area along the I-93 corridor. A full tanker truck carrying 10,000 gallons of diesel fuel gets emptied there every day just to keep up with diesel demand. I only fuel up at this truck stop now because of the high fuel turnover. The diesel price is competitive too and among the lowest I've seen in the area.

:)
I've become a regular enough of a customer at this truck stop that the manager when he's working now lets me pump first and then pay afterwards. Cash sales normally are pay first before pumping fuel. When I come in to prepay for my fuel he now motions me to go ahead and pump first then pay afterwards.

I've also had a few pro-diesel conversations with the management on a few occasions. They ask me how I like my BMW diesels and what I get for MPGs. The 600 mile tank range like a TDI's tank range always blows them away. :)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Anyone ever watch the British comedy series "Doc Martin"? My wife picked up a few episodes from the library. There's this one hilarious scene where Doc pi$$ed off the whole village. He stops at the village "gas" station to put petrol in his Lexus, but the pump won't turn on for him. However the guy at the next pump is happily refuelling. He goes in to the see the attendant, livid, thinking she turned off the pump to get back at him, but she claims there's no petrol left at the station. As he rages, the other guy walks in to pay for his fuel. He screams something like "what then did HE put in his car if you claim you have no petrol". She yells back "DIESEL"!

Oops! The look of embarrassment was funny! My wife, loyal (for now) TDI driver, got a huge belly laugh out of that scene!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My mom really likes that show. I've watched a few episodes with her. I especially like that the doctor faints at the sight of blood.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Anyone ever watch the British comedy series "Doc Martin"? My wife picked up a few episodes from the library. There's this one hilarious scene where Doc pi$$ed off the whole village. He stops at the village "gas" station to put petrol in his Lexus, but the pump won't turn on for him. However the guy at the next pump is happily refuelling. He goes in to the see the attendant, livid, thinking she turned off the pump to get back at him, but she claims there's no petrol left at the station. As he rages, the other guy walks in to pay for his fuel. He screams something like "what then did HE put in his car if you claim you have no petrol". She yells back "DIESEL"!

Oops! The look of embarrassment was funny! My wife, loyal (for now) TDI driver, got a huge belly laugh out of that scene!
This sums this thread up nicely :)
https://youtu.be/QARsKdm0LwM

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Had a good one this morning...
Stopped at Royal Farms in Cockeysville, MD ($2.29 vs. $2.69 around York, PA)
All of the combo pumps were filled by gassers save one, an orange cone in front of it and a bag over the gas handle (but none over the diesel handle).
I pulled up, filled up, and got on my way without hassle. It felt like I had my own "reserved" pump! :D

I've kinda wanted to buy a box of those "Out of Order" bags, and toss them on each gas handle when I fill up.

Just because the number of times I'm pulling into diesel combo pump following someone else who was oblivious there were 5 other free gas pumps the could use.

leftyserve

TDI
Stock 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. Turned in my 2012 Jetta TDI Sportwagen on 2/3/17. Hated to see it go!
My wife's had conversations at the pump about her 2012 JSW TDI, mileage, etc. It's always men. She said some guy named Car54 tried to get her number.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
People always take it badly when they realize they were wrong about ANYTHING.
Never mind that everyone is wrong about lots of things all the time.
As a friend had posted in plain sight on his desk, "I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken." :D

KiwiCanuck

TDI
Oops.. driving a gasser
Recently at a station there was a guy at the combo pump wiping his windows, chrome, etc... after a minute or two watching (there were open gas pumps) I was tired of watching and yelled "Come on mate, I need the diesel." He finally moved.

Less happy note. We rented a diesel pickup truck to haul rowing shells from Alberta to St.Catharines and back. My gf and I drove the eastbound trip. Turned the vehicle over to a couple of others for the return trip, and one of them filled about 100 litres of regular unleaded... Cost $100 to fill, $100 to pump it empty, and almost the same to refill with diesel. Lucky they caught the error before starting the engine. Pissed off the station owner because it blocked one side of the gas station for a couple of hours... F350 dual rear axle with a 45foot long trailer full of boats, stuck...

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Turned the vehicle over to a couple of others for the return trip, and one of them filled about 100 litres of regular unleaded... Cost $100 to fill, $100 to pump it empty, and almost the same to refill with diesel. Lucky they caught the error before starting the engine. Pissed off the station owner because it blocked one side of the gas station for a couple of hours... F350 dual rear axle with a 45foot long trailer full of boats, stuck...
I trust you've pointed out that although $200 poorer, they dodged a very much more expensive bullet. (Probably pointed out several times, I bet.)

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Speaking of diesel pumps mixed with gasoline pumps...There is a Wawa where I live with 15 or so pumps, every single one was a combo pump. No waiting for the idiot that likes to take up both spaces.

Recently at a station there was a guy at the combo pump wiping his windows, chrome, etc... after a minute or two watching (there were open gas pumps) I was tired of watching and yelled "Come on mate, I need the diesel." He finally moved.

Less happy note. We rented a diesel pickup truck to haul rowing shells from Alberta to St.Catharines and back. My gf and I drove the eastbound trip. Turned the vehicle over to a couple of others for the return trip, and one of them filled about 100 litres of regular unleaded... Cost $100 to fill, $100 to pump it empty, and almost the same to refill with diesel. Lucky they caught the error before starting the engine. Pissed off the station owner because it blocked one side of the gas station for a couple of hours... F350 dual rear axle with a 45foot long trailer full of boats, stuck...

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Speaking of diesel pumps mixed with gasoline pumps...There is a Wawa where I live with 15 or so pumps, every single one was a combo pump. No waiting for the idiot that likes to take up both spaces.
I wish more stations were like that! About the only other station I remember with that kind of setup is the Kroger gas station in Greenville, MS. It really upped the convenience factor for us diesel folks.

No stories for me to share, but at the Shell where I fill up most of the time, the single combo diesel/gas pump on the end of the island seems to be a magnet for lollygaggers and slowpokes. I bet I've had to wait 5-10 minutes every time I've filled up there for the entire year of 2016. :mad:

Granted, I only fill up once every ~25 days, but still… I'm an impatient guy. :D

From the road, this particular Shell looks like it has combo pumps at every spot, but except for the diesel one on the end, the rest are for ethanol free 89 octane "marine fuel" midgrade.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I think most of us are impatient. I just drive off when the combo pumps are occupied. Always another gas station close by. What annoys me is people that pump gas in the combo pumps and go inside for a snack. Move your freakin car!

I wish more stations were like that! About the only other station I remember with that kind of setup is the Kroger gas station in Greenville, MS. It really upped the convenience factor for us diesel folks.
No stories for me to share, but at the Shell where I fill up most of the time, the single combo diesel/gas pump on the end of the island seems to be a magnet for lollygaggers and slowpokes. I bet I've had to wait 5-10 minutes every time I've filled up there for the entire year of 2016. :mad:
Granted, I only fill up once every ~25 days, but still… I'm an impatient guy. :D
From the road, this particular Shell looks like it has combo pumps at every spot, but except for the diesel one on the end, the rest are for ethanol free 89 octane "marine fuel" midgrade.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
I think most of us are impatient. I just drive off when the combo pumps are occupied. Always another gas station close by. What annoys me is people that pump gas in the combo pumps and go inside for a snack. Move your freakin car!
I'd go elsewhere but it's usually several miles to another station, and the next closest ones are usually 20-30 cents a gallon higher. :eek:

leftyserve

TDI
Stock 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. Turned in my 2012 Jetta TDI Sportwagen on 2/3/17. Hated to see it go!
I read your post on this topic from 2002. I just couldn't resist!

Scratchy101

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Golf TDI, now 2015 Mazda CX-5 & 2018 Nissan Leaf SV
I was waiting for a combo pump to free up at my local Chevron last year.
The owner of the vehicle was no where in sight.
After several minutes I see him come traipsing across the grass median, coffee in hand, from the Tim Horton's next door :mad: :mad: :mad:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
After several minutes I see him come traipsing across the grass median, coffee in hand, from the Tim Horton's next door :mad: :mad: :mad:
:D:D people are damn inconsiderate. I always move to a parking spot after pumping diesel if I need to go inside.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Now that I probably have blown up on him for, depending on how PO'ed I was by that point.

Jason

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
usually even on combo pumps I can back up close enough to still reach my car with the diesel nozzle. It's funny when you're pumping and their car is still there. They seem really annoyed, but I do it for the lulz

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
usually even on combo pumps I can back up close enough to still reach my car with the diesel nozzle. It's funny when you're pumping and their car is still there. They seem really annoyed, but I do it for the lulz
I need to try that next time :D

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
That would make me apoplectic. :mad::mad::mad:

N_D_v_22101

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MK4 2001 -REFLEX SILVER and now a MK5 JETTA Platinum Grey NON-TDI Tho.
revisiting here.....OP checking in.

Hope this thread isn't going away since there are no more TDI's being sold.......

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We still have to fuel the one's we have!

This thread is almost 15 years old and still going strong. It may well outlast VW diesel sales.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT

Hope this thread isn't going away since there are no more TDI's being sold.......
I'd actually would love to get another diesel powered car in the future. Just not sure what I'd get.

There's still more new diesels coming to market as well. So I don't think that this forum is going anywhere anytime soon :cool:

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I'd actually would love to get another diesel powered car in the future. Just not sure what I'd get.

There's still more new diesels coming to market as well. So I don't think that this forum is going anywhere anytime soon :cool:
If I had to replace my 2005 and was going to stay in California, it would be a 1997 or earlier model as these aren't subject to smog testing. However, as I plan to move to AZ in the next couple of years, then it could be just about any MY make from Germany, Japan, or Sweden.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Plenty of used ones out there to be had. I'm looking for another as backup. Gotta hoard them while they are still alive.