Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Diesel weighs between 6 and 8 pounds per gallon (you can google this to get the exact figure). So the difference in weight between a full tank and an empty one is 72-112 pounds. Is it really going to make THAT much difference for normal driving ?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Just out of curiosity, what do you think the car weighs full versus empty? Never looked at the weight difference.
maybe a hundred lbs, bout the same as the back seats, rear interior and speakers weigh (there's so much room back there now, like a midsize SUV)

It really does feel a lot quicker, you can tell on the freeway that it's still a gutless 120hp turd, but stoplight to stoplight you can feel the difference.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I feel the weight difference from running with the refuel light on and then after leaving the fuel station. It rides a little firmer. This is a big stretch but it's kind of like throwing some weight in the back of the pickup to control the bouncing.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I suspect it is for the same reason people see how many mpg's they can squeeze out. Just to see what is possible. My car has at least a gallon reserve left when the range indicator shows 0 miles range. But i don't intentionally run it down that low.
Our cars are set for the idiot light to come on when there is 1.4 gallons (approx. 5 liters) of fuel left (according to the owners manual). I estimate that I have at most 60 miles until she's dead on the side of the road. IIRC, the miles to empty shows about 40 when the light comes on.

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Was filling up today at a busy station today and had someone pull in behind me to wait for gas at the same pump. My tank is vented and I always top it off to the brim so it takes an extra minute or so to top it off. I pull the nozzle out to the lip near the end to watch the level and foam.

Person behind me is watching this I guess...Finally finish up and grab a papertowel to wipe my hands and the guy goes, hey hey to get my attention, I slowly walk up and he goes you shouldn't do that. Guy has an Irish accent or somewhere from the UK. I reply do what? He says, Top it off, it's no good. I say it's fine, it's diesel and just walk off. I don't need a lecture on how to fuel my car. Get in the car to leave and hes clapping real obnoxiously as I'm leaving...wow. Kinda wish I had a roll coal button at that moment :)

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Was filling up today at a busy station today and had someone pull in behind me to wait for gas at the same pump. My tank is vented and I always top it off to the brim so it takes an extra minute or so to top it off. I pull the nozzle out to the lip near the end to watch the level and foam.

Person behind me is watching this I guess...Finally finish up and grab a papertowel to wipe my hands and the guy goes, hey hey to get my attention, I slowly walk up and he goes you shouldn't do that. Guy has an Irish accent or somewhere from the UK. I reply do what? He says, Top it off, it's no good. I say it's fine, it's diesel and just walk off. I don't need a lecture on how to fuel my car. Get in the car to leave and hes clapping real obnoxiously as I'm leaving...wow. Kinda wish I had a roll coal button at that moment :)
Two things stand out: "busy station" and the other guy's "clapping". I don't mind people taking THEIR time, I only mind when they're also taking "my" time as well. Time is something you can spend, take and steal. Spend your own time - not others; take your own time - not others; don't steal someone else's time. The 'clapper' probably thought you were doing the two latter. He was also 'clapping' likely due to your possible rude attitude and giving you a sarcastic "good for you'. A very simple apology for taking a bit longer, and a short statement that diesels are different and there's no harm in topping off versus than gassers probably would have elicited a different response.

Not my personal opinion, just an observation of what you wrote. The other guy didn't know you, so how was he supposed to assume anything more and react differently? Your "roal coal" comment pretty much clarified my observation of what you wrote too. But do appreciate you telling us how inconsiderate you are. Now, PLEASE tell me I got it all wrong.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.......points taken on both angles.............

you never know what your dealing with.

I liked the short "It's fine, it's diesel" (very quietlypolitely stated - with a smile)

The clapping? As before: You never know...............

ez

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
I guess just to clarify, he pulled up maybe 15 seconds before I started topping off. He waited all of 1.5 minutes? After I told him it was fine, he said it's not fine and I missed the rest. His tone was not a hey hi how you doing that's not a good idea. He shouted out the window and acted like I was pouring motor oil in a river. Point is, I don't think he was aggravated he waited an extra minute. I'm fairly sure he wanted to tell me it was bad to overfill my tank. Bottom line, it's a fuel station, I'm filling my tank up. Not eating a sandwich and talking on the phone making someone wait. If your time is that valuable, don't pull into a clearly full station.

And yes, attitudes could have been better on both ends.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Thanks for clarifying - it doesn't appear the situation was the way it originally read. I mean it's not like you were smoking while pumping gas - what a potential 'blow up' that would have been - literally. Sorry if I came as a "Judge Judy". I'm not sure I would like her as a person, but I love the way she see right through the BS and gets to the heart of the matter, as many fine judges do.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Silver Jetta GLS Wagon 93K miles!! 1 owner Autotragic but not for long!
Amazing what people get pissed off about today eh? Kinda scary the amount of anger thats displayed over such trivial matters.

mountain lion

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
No problem, it was late when I posted and didn't feel like writing a novel on a fairly trivial encounter...I see how it read that way, those details change the perspective. but this was the first time anyone has ever thought to comment on my filling technique, it a not so friendly manor :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Sounds like the guy was either a jerk or having a bad day. If the same happened to me, and I didn't like his tone, I would have just completely ignored him as if I were hearing impaired.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Reminds me of the time I was waiting for a guy to finish fueling his old dodge cummins pickup down in austin. I could see fuel dripping from under his truck. It irritated me, but I very politely commented to him that it looked like his filler neck or tank had a leak. Turned out that the leak was from the pump handle, which irritated him as well. He was some kind of permaculture commune guru and was adding diesel to the waste veggie oil in his tank. We had a great little conversation about fuel mileage and the various diesels we have owned. He ended up giving me his business card and an invitation to visit the commune. A little politeness goes a long way!

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
I would have taken the time to explain why exactly it was OK to brim the tank in these cars, but I do understand that curt reaction one might have to a person speaking in a rude manner.

Now for another diesel encounter story...

A few days ago a very foreign sounding lady in a minivan pulled up opposite me at the Sam's Club station across town. I was there to top up since the price was surprisingly good for the area.

While I was filling, her teenaged son got out to get her gas for her. She must have said to him, "Now don't get the diesel, be careful!" two or three times while looking at me through her open window. I couldn't help but think she was subtlety trying to alert me.

At first I ignored her but after the third barb I finally spoke up since she was looking directly at me. "It is the opposite for my car, it's a diesel and I don't want to mistakenly put gas in it!"

She seemed genuinely surprised. "I didn't know they made such little cars with diesels!"

After that we had a short little talk on fuel prices and efficiency. I really wanted to ask about her accent - it was vaguely Eastern European - but didn't. Maybe diesels weren't popular in the motherland when she lived there. Her son had no trace of an accent at all. I spent the rest of the day wondering if she really was trying to tell me, or if he son was just a colossal screwup. :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Silver Jetta GLS Wagon 93K miles!! 1 owner Autotragic but not for long!
..... I spent the rest of the day wondering if she really was trying to tell me, or if he son was just a colossal screwup. :
She thought you were hot... happens to me all the time..:D;)

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
So, 9 years of owning a TDI and I finally have a story, but its not about me.

I fuel up, then pull away from pumps to meet up with someone. While waiting I see a pickup truck pull up to the pump and a mercedes pull up as if to say.. mine first. The truck pulls away from the pump and up next to the driver of the mercedes. The truck then leaves and the Mercedes pulls up.

Shaking my head thinking a diesiel pickup just gave into a gasser at the only diesel pump, I look over and to my dismay see the red handled off road diesel pump in the fuel tank. I was infact hoping that this idiot had been pumping off road instead of RUG since they share the same pump. So I walk over and see if I can make someones day... insert evil snicker.

Nope.. this jacka$$ is driving a diesel powered Mercedes and running off road D2. Wind out of sails I start some small talk with the driver. I'm curious to know if the driver knows what he was doing. I ask him if he knows the fine for his mistake (?) His coy attitude tells me he's a risk taker. I ask casually how he manages to afford such a pricey ride but can't afford the taxes. He sarcastically replies.. "I manage."

I give up at this point and jokingly say as I walk away... "I'll be sure to tip someone off for ya"

So.. do I rat this fella out... I mean he's not driving a VW.;).. and he was a rather fat ignorant b-tard... What do you think ?

oh yea... he was driving NH 3679566 if anyone sees him around. This was in Alton NH

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, let bygones be byegones. It will catch up to him eventually. I think you nailed it with the "rat" reference.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I say turn his ass in - he is making the rest of us taxpayers pay for his road usage.

Last edited:

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
"

So.. do I rat this fella out... I mean he's not driving a VW.;).. and he was a rather fat ignorant b-tard... What do you think ?

oh yea... he was driving NH 3679566 if anyone sees him around. This was in Alton NH
In my part of the world attitude is everything. I say fry the bastard. Because he chooses to hoard his money, not only does he not pay the fair taxes but he screws you as well making you pay more.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, i suspect you'd get laughed at trying to make such a citizens arrest, so to speak. No need to be a fuel ****.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Interesting, i didn't know naz! was a censored word around here.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Outing this guy and posting his tag number is above and beyond. Every now and then this thread turns in to some indignant person getting pissed over some other persons minor sins. Some of you, and you know who you are, need to get a real life and find something else to do. I see Godwin's law has been invoked now.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
No, let bygones be byegones. It will catch up to him eventually. I think you nailed it with the "rat" reference.
I got pulled over once about 4 years ago in our Passat TDI, by the police working a roadblock with Transport Quebec and Revenue Quebec. They were pulling over all diesels and checking for off-road (coloured) diesel and I had to wait while they sampled my tank.

Fortunately I only run legal on-road diesel. But if they'd found some off-road I would have pointed out that the car was in my wife's name :D

Actually the cop recognized my wife's name on the registration as she's a local family doctor.

So there is a remote chance of getting caught with off-road at least in Quebec. However in 5 TDIs and 15 years of TDI ownership, it only happened once...

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Outing this guy and posting his tag number is above and beyond. Every now and then this thread turns in to some indignant person getting pissed over some other persons minor sins. Some of you, and you know who you are, need to get a real life and find something else to do. I see Godwin's law has been invoked now.
Above and beyond would have been a phone video uploaded to youtube and a link sent to the DMV tax office. I highly doubt this was a first occurance and thus not a minor sin. Its not like he pulled up to the taxed pump, debated and backed up to the off road pump.... he knew where where he was going before he played me first.

Death and Taxes... I sure take the first one pretty seriously.:p

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
turbobrick, he did not say anything about making a citizen's arrest; just reporting a tax evader. No different than reporting any pickpocket, burgaler, or other thief. Just doing his civic duty.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
turbobrick, he did not say anything about making a citizen's arrest; just reporting a tax evader. No different than reporting any pickpocket, burgaler, or other thief. Just doing his civic duty.
Yeah, I was just trying to inject some humor after the thread took a decidedly dark turn. You have to admit the visual image of mr. uptight making a citizens arrest is pretty funny.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
If you are referring to me as the naz! well that would be a first since I am jewish... but the as swipe is not doing anyone a favor and is a cheap bastard to boot. These are the kind of people that bring down legislation that hurts us diesel fans. I say send a nice note to the proper authorities.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Relax my friend. You aren't the only descendent of Aaron. Ever heard of the soup naz! from Seinfeld? I don't think Jerry Seinfeld is a huge bigot either. No soup for you!

Last edited:

CZguy

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Ever heard of the soup naz! from Seinfeld?
That episode was so funny, that I still chuckle over it.

People in our society cheat all the time. If I witness a crime, I'll report it. But, I'm not sure that someone evading paying his road taxes rises to that level.