Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Just remember, GTI needs premium fuel.
Also, gasers struggle to get advertised mileage.
Agree on the premium, but not on the gassers struggling to get advertised mileage. I never had trouble exceeding the estimates on my 2.0T Passat wagon, rated 6.8 highway and I would easily get 6.4-6.6. That big wagon had a 70 L tank and 1000 km per tank highway runs were easily achievable in summer. Even in average summer driving I was routinely hitting over 900 km per tank of premium.

Perhaps it's just VW that was more realistic in its testing. I also had a few 2.5s and 2.0 slows as garage loaners in recent years and they too could meet the estimates.

None of this required any different driving techniques than I use in our TDIs to beat estimates: follow speed limits, anticipate lights, etc.

MFD1

MFD2 (average over 1761 km)

Last edited:

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Can't imagine the 2.0T @ 210hp is that big a thrill but there's always mods.

Seriously...? :eek:

There is a reason the GTI has been one of the best rated affordable performance cars for the last 30 years straight... There is no unmodified VW diesel that can even remotely compare for pure thrill in driving (not even the GTD, though it does at least come close).

I love my TDI; but comparing it to a GTI for fun factor is like comparing a Civic to an STI... :D

Lineman

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less... own a RAM 1500 Diesel now
No longer own my VW TDI, but now own a RAM 1500 diesel!

Was filling up at a the Prime on Route 125 in Plaistow, NH at the diesel pumps and a VW TDI Jetta pulls up to fill up next to me. The guy starts chatting with me about the truck etc and he wants to upgrade to a RAM 1500 diesel too! Told him I get about 28 mpg highway and still about 22 when I tow.

Been a great truck for the 8 months I've owned it and over 20,000 miles now. No issues.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I was filling up a rental car today with gas. The pump was running so so so slow. About 8 seconds for every 10th of a gallon. In fact it filled so slowly the auto shut off didn't work. Gas spilled every where.

So it actually topped off the tank....with no foam :p I wish diesel was like that :)

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Ha. Topping the tank on a gasser can flood the evap system, not a good thing.

I know what you mean about slooowwww gas pumps though. I fill up the wife's gasser every once in a while; it takes FOREVER compared to the diesel pumps at the same station.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
That reminds me of the last time we rented a Penski truck. The Shell station right in front of the Home Depot we were dropping off at has Diesel so I stop there. It's a 26' International with nearly 40 gallon tank. Lucky we only had to get it about 1/2 full but that took over a hour. When we were dropping the truck off the guy at the desk said most of the pumps on that street were like that and most people went across town if they wanted Diesel. Did I mention it was about 20F with a "stiff" breeze?

Jason

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Not that low in the PNW yet... we're always higher than the national average, by a LOT. Gonna fill up tonight, $3.199 is the cheapest around. I get 3x the mileage I got in my last car. It will take way more than a $.20 difference to get the math to go red. It's been as much as $1.00 higher than RUG before, still not near red.
I filled up two weeks ago in Corvallis, Or for $2.69 a gallon. This was at the ARCO off of I5 on highway 34. Only debit/cash.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
Today at the $2.79 a gallon diesel filling station, I gave up. I told the attendant "I don't have time to deal with this goat rope". Vehicles were circling around like ritzy women at the mall on a once the year sale.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
I filled up my ALH at a shell this week for 2.98 and then I got a text from my dad who was at the same station he got diesel for 2.89 within 15 minutes of me leaving.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I filled up my ALH at a shell this week for 2.98 and then I got a text from my dad who was at the same station he got diesel for 2.89 within 15 minutes of me leaving.
Dad should buy you a beer with that extra $1.30 he could have saved you by making you wait. :D

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
No funny stories, only that with the fuel filler on the right side, trying to find a spot when majority of vehicles have it on the left side sometimes requires a bit a patience. I'd drag the hose around to the other side if the hose was long enought, but don't want to scuff the paint or drip diesel on or around my car.:rolleyes:

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
That has been the biggest issue for me going from a life time of SAE rigs to a metric rig. *** is the filler on the wrong side.......

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
It's a Europe thing, I believe. My Miata and my Prius are "metric" and the fill port is on the left. My previous European cars and current Jetta had/has the port on the right. Don't remember where it was on my 60 Rambler, 63 Chevrolet, and 79 Mustang (the last America-sourced cars).

Edit.

Rambler & Chevy were on the left; Mustang was on the right. Oh, my parent's 1960 Lincoln had the port centered in the back trim panel above the bumper.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That has been the biggest issue for me going from a life time of SAE rigs to a metric rig. *** is the filler on the wrong side.......
Has nothing to do with it. German and most European cars have the filler on the right side for safety reasons. Summarizing Powder Hounds comments, if you run out of fuel, would you rather stand in traffic or on the shoulder when adding a gallon or two? Japanese cars were designed for driving on the other side of the road. US car designs are all over the place, so who knows what they were thinking.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Has nothing to do with it. German and most European cars have the filler on the right side for safety reasons. Summarizing Powder Hounds comments, if you run out of fuel, would you rather stand in traffic or on the shoulder when adding a gallon or two? Japanese cars were designed for driving on the other side of the road. US car designs are all over the place, so who knows what they were thinking.
Just checked a BRITISH car manufacturer (Britain, like Japan, drives on the LEFT side of the road) and the filler ports are on the RIGHT side of the car just like the rest of Europe.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
My wife's 2001 Chevy Malibu has the filler on the right side, just like my Beetle. It took her some getting used to because that's the first car she's had like that. For me, it was nothing, because I was already used to filling on that side.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
Its the only rig in my fleet like that. I have to think about it every time I fuel. All my other rigs are diesel so I don't worry about mixing them up.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My cars are like that too. Gassers, GM and Toyota, on the left and diesels on the right. Unless my daughter comes home in the 03 passat.

pnyknight

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta 1.9 GLS, reflex silver (pseudo wrecked Apr10/13); 2013 Candy White Jetta TDI
Filled up at shell. > $30 get bonus air miles. With diesel at 1.14 it's hard to get two sets of $30 even at a quarter tank. Got $30 and $25 even using the vpower and an extra 5 cents. Stupid points system that needs a $$ minimum.

/rant

Oh even when I asked the guy if I could top up my tires and he said yes, he didn't bother to turn on the machine

//rant

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Miss the days of under the spring loaded license plate...

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I had a close call with my 535d recently and almost got injured when filling up in the Savannah GA area. Lisa and I are vacationing in Cocoa Beach FL after returning from a 5-day cruise (aboard the Carnival Sensation) to The Bahamas. During the road trip to FL before the cruise, I stopped for fuel in the Savannah GA area somewhere along I-95. In the gas station lot, there was a truck w/flatbed trailer in the lot with an oversize load of freshly cut trees, with the treetops dragging out the end of the trailer. I pulled to the last pump island in the lot because that one was free and that's where the diesel pumps were. After I got out to go inside to prepay for my fuel, a guy in a neighboring gasser island was walking back from the store and suggested I move my car before it gets hit by the trees as the truck makes a left turn onto the street. With how the truck was parked, it was about to make a U-turn, with the ends of the trees swinging toward my car. I decided I better move the car to be safe. Just after I opened the car door to get in, the traffic light turned green and the truck started moving! :eek: Since I was already partially into the car I had no choice but to duck down quickly and pull the door closed as much as possible with my feet still on the ground. The trees missed my car door by no more than about 6 inches. :eek: Whew! :eek: A lot of people at the station saw the whole thing and they all said that was a close call. If I had left the car door open, it would have been torn off by the trees and I would have gotten banged up too. :eek: Definitely was a dangerous situation.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
N1das, you seem to have all the fun while fueling, the rest of us just pump and no one says squat. Glad you're ok.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pulled in to fuel up today. Due to gas being $1.99, the place was hoping. Only open diesel pump was on the end and as soon as I pulled to it, a d2500 pulled across the end of the pumps. I'm sure he was unhappy but since I wasn't the one blocking the diesel pumps filling with gasoline, I didn't care.

flipper1935

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
US car designs are all over the place, so who knows what they were thinking.

I love my Jetta TDI for what it is, but my other vehicles are 1960 & early 1970's vintage US vehicles. On those vehicles, the filler neck is located in the best possible location for either side of the pump, the rear of the vehicle.