Stolen Jettas - GTA

TOBarber

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf SportWagon, 2012, dark gray
I took our Scout Troop to an information meeting presented by 53 Division of the Toronto Police Force last night. Besides learning how to break into houses, there was information on stealing cars. And in addition to the method of thieves using the key information to program a new key using a computer, they mentioned a new trick on certain Jettas where turning the key in the door lock powers all the windows down. Unfortunately, something other than the key will do this. Is this design with all windows turning down, part of a dealer option, something on new Jettas, an aftermarket gimmick, something else? The officer stated that 15 Jettas were stolen in the GTA so far this year.

Bill
'94 EV GLS 2.4l NA
'00 Golf GLS 1.9l TDI

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
been common for a few years now. Turn the key all the way to right to unlock, hold it and the windows roll down. Turn to the left to lock, hold it and the windows close including the sunroof.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Volkswagens with power windows have had that feature for years. "Certain" Jettas basically means "all Jettas with power windows", which is pretty much all of them.

"Something other than the key" - the remote?? (or an electronic gizmo that has captured your code ...)

TOBarber

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf SportWagon, 2012, dark gray
I think that is what the officer was referring to; using a screwdriver. It just saves the thief from having to break the window, I suppose. He didn't mention stolen Golf's, just Jetta's.

brujo

TDI
Jetta, 2000, Silver
Is there a way to prevent this from happening? Can vag-com disable this power window function? I can just see the insurance company using this as an excuse to increase our insurance premium.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Re: Stolen Jettas = Grand Theft Auto

microwave

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue

So the screwdriver trick gets them into the car...how effective is the immobilizer at keeping them from stealing the car? Without the right "key code" the car should not start.

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd

Now I really feel good about having manual windows. Of course they can always get in the old fashioned way -- smash the glass.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI

Is there a way to disable the funtion via Vag-Com? I know some guys have replaced their locks with passenger side handles without the keyhole. Great idea as long as your remote works!

TDIDarryl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI

I think the best method to prevent this is to replace the driver-side door handle with a passenger side one that doesn't have a lock cylinder, of course if the battery dies you're done for!

Some members have actually reversed the passenger and driver door handle so that the key hole is on the passenger side (in an attempt to confuse would be thieves).

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI

Another idea would be to unplug the wire that goes to the door lock to activate the window roll down function. I wonder if there is 2 wires? One for up and one for down? I would leave the up / close function intact and only disable the open / down function. Any thoughts?

tmirks

I am a victim of just such an attempted theft here in Markham, Ontario. Yesterday morning I went out to the driveway to go to work and noticed that my trunk was ajar. Upon opening the passenger door, I saw all the contents of my glovebox and armrest dumped out onto the seat.

I was looking for a broken window, when I realized that the driver's side lock was all messed up. Look here for pictures of this: http://photography.mirecki.com/jetta/

I've deduced that the thief was looking for the valet key because absolutely nothing was taken, nor was the ignition or any other part of the vehicle damaged.

Does anyone know what part(s) I need to fix this and/or if I need to get a whole new cartridge?

Tim