Stolen '82 Vanagon in Lamar, Missouri

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
A heads up if anyone comes across this...

Advertisement in the Lamar Xchanger, April 1, 2014

"... Offering reward... for information leading to the theft and whereabouts of a 1982 Vanagon Popup camper with diesel engine, VINWV2YG025XCH111430

The van is Tan over Dark Brown.

If you know anything about this, you can contact me and I will forward your information to the owner.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Well, good news is, the thief isn't getting anywhere fast. Probably still in the state somewhere.

If I see something holding up traffic, I'll be sure to pay attention.

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Thanks, Brian. Not the fastest thing on 4 wheels, but a turtle with a shell...

My worry is that we know of some people from 'south of the border' who are buying some interesting cars... paperwork is really not important if it's going to Guatemala.

One of the car salesmen recently told me that he sold a Maxima... no engine... for a lot more than scrap price. It's going straight to Central America in container freight. That is a vacuum hole for stolen cars.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Heck it might double as a house for the thieves.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Well, good news is, the thief isn't getting anywhere fast. Probably still in the state somewhere.

If I see something holding up traffic, I'll be sure to pay attention.
And here I was going to say you must have taken it. ;)

oilhammer

TDI
I have to live by the mantra "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors' Volkswagens". :D

But I do try and treat them as if they were my own, sometimes. :)

oilhammer

TDI
Mine's not a Westy, though. Just imagine, having an extra 900 pounds of crap to carry around ALL THE TIME. :eek:

oilhammer

TDI
Not quickly. It would be like mine with all 7 seating positions full, and the ample cargo floor with a few bits of luggage.

Those zany Germans.... :D

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
EDIT: Place a new Thread in thesamba.com You will be surprised at the number of Vanagons reported in the Samba reported stolen!

I hate a darn thief!

However, I am hitting 1000 so far against them.

1. Theft at my Dad's house while he was in the nursing home - Dude is in Jail (13 years)

2. Several dudes (could only prove one) pretty much cleaned out my old Bay Bus of VW parts and barn right after the Labor Day 2012 TDI Fest - Dude is in Jail (5 years, no probation due to 4th felony. He will be 29 when he gets out of jail.)

3. I am member of a local water district board. On September 12, 2013, a dude cut the chain/lock to the fence of the facility, drove truck, trailer and excavator off (about $60k). One month later to the day, the dude was driving the items on I-81 in East Tennessee when the "water in fuel" light come on. He pulled over. Nice Tennessee State Trooper stopped to assist. The dude is in jail without bond awaiting trial.

4. Last month (at the water board office) two idiots drove right in front of the cameras, parked to the side of the chain link fence in nearby parking lot, cut the fence, busted the lock on the garage door (all on camera)... alarm went off! Two dudes peed on themselves and ran like turkeys (all on camera). Cops show up only seconds after they left. Two nights later, Cops pull over the vehicle (license # and description from camera) about 12:30 am. They still had the bolt cutter and pry bar in the vehicle....plead guilty on the spot. They are in jail with no bond awaiting hearing.

Yes! .....................

And, we are updating out cameras and other items to nail the astards!

Last edited:

Franko6

TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
Seriously, if anybody could come up with this one, it would be the TDIClub. Problem is, it's probably already out of the country. Thought I'd try something instead of doing nothing.

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Prem
Saw this on craigs list???

1984 vw title : clean

wolfsburg edition. runs nicely, few little problems.. call Mark 314 773 4222 dont have caller id , so leave a call back number , if you get the machine
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4404644916
posted: a day ago
email to friend
♥ best of [?]

Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.

I know this is listed as a 1984. And I am no expert on the VW van. But I thought it could not hurt. Stealling brings to mind a Quote form Jack Nickolson in Batman. "Nerver rub another mans rubarb"

oilhammer

TDI
That isn't a diesel though. But it probably looks a lot like that, so that certainly helps!

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
...2. Several dudes (could only prove one) pretty much cleaned out my old Bay Bus of VW parts and barn right after the Labor Day 2012 TDI Fest - Dude is in Jail (5 years, no probation due to 4th felony. He will be 29 when he gets out of jail.)...
Gota love someone who has 3 felonies by the time they are 24!:rolleyes:

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
2. Several dudes (could only prove one) pretty much cleaned out my old Bay Bus of VW parts and barn right after the Labor Day 2012 TDI Fest - Dude is in Jail (5 years, no probation due to 4th felony. He will be 29 when he gets out of jail.)
I thought of this the instant I read this thread.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
3. I am member of a local water district board...the dude is in jail without bond awaiting trial.

4. Last month (at the water board office)....plead guilty on the spot. They are in jail with no bond awaiting hearing.

And, we are updating out cameras and other items to nail the astards!
Those are automatic felonies since it's tampering with a public water system. I work at a water municipality and this place is covered like Ft Knox.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Abacus, that's good to know! I suspect our DA knows as well!

Well, it's our plan to be covered like Fort Knox.

We just lucked out when the Tennessee State Police got that one dude. Ironically, that truck (Ford 350 Diesel) had been taken to the shop several times due to the "water in the fuel" light mal-functioning. Also, the workers had considered disconnecting it......