Still my best option

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
I drive a lot....25k - 30k a year

Just drove from Chicago to St. Paul....even with winter fuel I get 43-46 mpg (fuelly tracked not obc)

It's hard to over look this.....reason why I'm just going to wait and see how buyback/fix rubs its course.

Wondering if others experience about the same in fuel economy drop?

Non-winter blend 47-52mpg
Winter blend 43-46 mpg

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Yes same here. I went from low to mid 40's average summer via Fuelly to high 30's in the winter. My commute this winter is different than last year (more highway/longer distance) so hoping a little better this winter.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
Yes same here. I went from low to mid 40's average summer via Fuelly to high 30's in the winter. My commute this winter is different than last year (more highway/longer distance) so hoping a little better this winter.
Winter D2 blend in Arizona, but with Shell D2, I'm still seeing 50MPG highway average.

BTW, is Mair VW/Audi still in business? He did a lot of low cost maintenance work on my '93 Audi when I lived in Reading. (Flying Hills).

As much as possible, I avoided the VW/Audi dealer on Lancaster ave.

Cuttlefish

TDI
2011 Golf TDI w/ DSG
@GWbiker:
Yes, Adolf is still there, and BTW, the VW/Audi dealer is no longer on Lancaster ave, but on Route 183 North, next to the County Welfare Road and just up the road from "Dubbles".

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I drive a lot....25k - 30k a year
Just drove from Chicago to St. Paul....even with winter fuel I get 43-46 mpg (fuelly tracked not obc)
It's hard to over look this.....reason why I'm just going to wait and see how buyback/fix rubs its course.
Wondering if others experience about the same in fuel economy drop?
Non-winter blend 47-52mpg
Winter blend 43-46 mpg
It's totally normal for fuel economy to drop in cold weather. Part of it is due to the lower BTU content of winterized diesel fuel, but also due to the increased amount fuel consumed during vehicle warm-up. Another small contributing factor is that cold air is more dense than warm air, increasing aerodynamic drag. It all adds up.

larrydk

Veteran Member
TDI
Sportwagen
It's totally normal for fuel economy to drop in cold weather. Part of it is due to the lower BTU content of winterized diesel fuel, but also due to the increased amount fuel consumed during vehicle warm-up. Another small contributing factor is that cold air is more dense than warm air, increasing aerodynamic drag. It all adds up.

When I was asking driving at altitude some members here stated that air density is irrelevant with a turbocharger which effectively creates its own air densitty...fact or no?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the turbo (and control mechanisms) take care of making sure there is enough air to match the need for combustion.

it does not modify air which the car drives through (or air in the tires, or air in the cabin)

Nutty 5.0

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI 6MT
Winter D2 blend in Arizona, but with Shell D2, I'm still seeing 50MPG highway average.

BTW, is Mair VW/Audi still in business? He did a lot of low cost maintenance work on my '93 Audi when I lived in Reading. (Flying Hills).

As much as possible, I avoided the VW/Audi dealer on Lancaster ave.
Cuttlefish answered your question as it is now Reading VW. It is where I got my TDI and this is my first new VW since 98 and we picked that (2.0 Beetle auto) up at Wynn back then. I drive by Flying Hills every day! Small world.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
Cuttlefish answered your question as it is now Reading VW. It is where I got my TDI and this is my first new VW since 98 and we picked that (2.0 Beetle auto) up at Wynn back then. I drive by Flying Hills every day! Small world.
Small world, indeed.

Back then ('90's) I lived on St. Andrews Circle, way up the hill. I drove Mercedes Benz Diesels then and getting up the hill in BAD weather was a challenge. Rear wheel drive was crap on slick roads.

After my last Benz experience (read Money Pit), a '87 300D, I switched over to Audi gas. Had all work done at Mair's, Stony Creek. When I moved to King Of Prussia, I still used Mair's for service. A "biker type" Dude there was great with Audi cars. Jean was receptionist/cashier.

I got screwed ONCE by the VW/Audi authorized dealer. Never went back.

Wish I had known about Mair's doing service on MB cars. I might have saved a bundle of cash. :(