Still FS: B4V 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon, Indianapolis, IN

MikeB4

TDI
1997 Passat TDI Sedan, Candy White
Hi all,

I posted this last August and got some email interest, but not enough to close a sale. I am happy to email or talk to list members about it. I thought I'd try here one more time before I advertise to the "outside world:"

For Sale: 1997 VW Passat TDI Wagon
Indianapolis, IN
$3700

1997 Volkswagen Passat TDI Wagon, White, (B4 Chassis)
1.9l TDI Diesel engine (1Z) 5spd. Manual transmission
Color: Candy White
Mileage 237K (132k on ODO + 105k on door sticker)

The Good:
  • Extremely rare and hard-to-find VW Passat Wagon TDI! (B4V with 1Z engine and 5 spd.)
  • Well-loved & maintained by a detail–oriented engineer who is a member of TDIclub.com.
  • Typical B4 issues have already been addressed. (Relay 109, air blend doors taped, radio backlights, injector pump seals, exhaust flex pipe, etc.)
  • Relatively new 3M window tinting
  • Recaro semi-powered and heated seat for driver
  • Keyless entry with 2 key fobs
  • I have most maintenance records for the entire time period where I owned the car (last 9 years)
  • Relatively new timing belt from a tdi-club list-recommended mechanic (7k miles ago), regular 5k mi. oil changes (always Rotella T synthetic),
The Bad:

• It does have 237k miles on it, so it isn’t new anymore. Smokes on heavy acceleration.
  • Engine mounts are stiff when it is cold, so there is higher noise and vibration on cold starts when ambient temperature is below freezing
  • It has been rear-ended before I owned the car.
  • The right-rear quarter panel is rusting around the wheel arch. I suspect it was a replacement quarter panel.
  • The 2 rear tires are approaching end-of-life.
  • Add almost 1 qt. oil every 1k miles or so.
  • Check-Engine light is triggered on heavy acceleration, especially when it is cold. (The codes are EGR and Timing.) Interesting, since the timing and IQ are set properly.
The Ugly:

• The car has only been in Indiana for 2 years, yet there is some rust showing up on the replacement right-rear quarter panel
  • The interior upholstery is worn, but serviceable.
  • The headliner does not sag, but it does have some stains.
  • The shifter boot.

Here are some more pictures (including higher resolution pictures of the rust) and a pdf of my maintenance log:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=780ABB501B06AE79!3505&authkey=!AEej_1XWE8TmqTc&ithint=folder%2cJPG

Thanks,

Michael Townsend
919-272-0186
mtownsend0@outlook.com

diesel steve

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4v
try disconecting the egr valve and puging the hose to it.It stopped the smoking on one of my cars. There is some kind of sensor for the egr that may be bad and pulls the egr open when it shouldn't be open.