Still angry with VW after buyback?

CHenry

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 4-door (sold)
No such luck to see someone reply with the Laconic "if."

I am at 10 days+ on waiting for my offer. I know this is delayed. Right now, it is not a problem for me. I still drive my car, and at a rate that will leave my settlement amount unchanged. The car is not behind its recommended service schedule. It is old--6.5 years--and long paid-off. It runs very well. I had to replace a front tire this weekend, which had I had a short date to settle I might have let go, but I am anticipating a settlement in 120 days, not next week, so I want to be able to drive the car normally, with a normal tire, like a normal person (to loosely paraphrase my favorite character from In Bruges.) So I am not sore about all this.

Yet.

Last edited:

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
I was the 15th car sold back to VW in America, and yes I am disappointed in VW but not over Dieselgate.

I am disappointed that they are out of touch with their customer base (this was proven with the early MKVI Jettas that were dumbed down for the American market , only to have them make interior improvements and go back to independent rear suspension) Another sign of their out of touch with America is that thing they call the Atlas.

Americans do not buy VWs because they want a Toyota Camry or a Chevy Cobalt or a GMC Terrain. They buy VWs because they want a European car with European characteristics handling, size etc..

VW doesn't grasp that and I don't understand why.

Another thing that disappoints me is the warranty. They are not the most reliable , and they are expensive to fix. If I was VW I would offer a Hyundai or Chrysler like warranty.

I am now driving a 2016 Jeep Cherokee, on a European FIAT chassis with a LIFETIME BUMPER TO BUMPER warranty. (yes that is right) Chrysler sells an optional MaximumCare plan that is essentially a bumper to bumper warranty for life with 100 dollar deductible.

When VW starts selling true European model cars here with better warranties I will stop being mad at them.

As for Dieselgate, I am happy and couldn't be happier with my check and quick turn in

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
I was the 15th car sold back to VW in America, and yes I am disappointed in VW but not over Dieselgate.
I am disappointed that they are out of touch with their customer base (this was proven with the early MKVI Jettas that were dumbed down for the American market , only to have them make interior improvements and go back to independent rear suspension) Another sign of their out of touch with America is that thing they call the Atlas.
Americans do not buy VWs because they want a Toyota Camry or a Chevy Cobalt or a GMC Terrain. They buy VWs because they want a European car with European characteristics handling, size etc..
Another thing that disappoints me is the warranty. They are not the most reliable , and they are expensive to fix. If I was VW I would offer a Hyundai or Chrysler like warranty.
I am now driving a 2016 Jeep Cherokee, on a European FIAT chassis with a LIFETIME BUMPER TO BUMPER warranty. (yes that is right) Chrysler sells an optional MaximumCare plan that is essentially a bumper to bumper warranty for life with 100 dollar deductible.
When VW starts selling true European model cars here with better warranties I will stop being mad at them.
As for Dieselgate, I am happy and couldn't be happier with my check and quick turn in
I understand and agree with alot of what you posted. When a customer asks me if VW is a good choice for reliability, I can not with clear conscience tell them, yes. I love VW vehicles. That is all I own. 5 of them, but that is a narrow vision based on choices that do not align with practical choices for the average driver. As a honest salesman I can not recommend them to customers that wants low cost of ownership and will drive it 10 plus years. Shame because they are great driving machines.

As far as the decisions they made on the Jetta to go solid axle and decont. They made the right choice if you are trying to sell more of them to the US market. They read that one right. Jetta sales have become much more competitive since.

pcnorton

TDI
2011 JSW
Coolbreeze,
You nailed my feeling. Love VW. The dieselgate thing didn't bother me. It gave me an out on a lemon of a Sportwagen. I had many things go wrong and this gives me more money than I could have got trading in.

VW would have to give an awesome warranty to get me to buy them new again. Till then I drive my Vanagon/subaru mix.

Please VW, get your act together, I want to comeback. Give a great warranty then make your cars so that doesn't cost you anything.

Paul

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
My problem with VW is the situation it put me in and the way they handled things. I wanted to trade out of it right around the time the scandal hit. The problem was how quickly the value of the car tanked. I just couldn't get over the fact I was buried in about $7-8k in negative equity on a car that was worth almost twice as much a mere two weeks before.

The lack of transparency and how they're dragging their feet is what is pissing me off. I am very and happy and grateful I will be able to just walk away from it and pocket over $5k, but a year and a half of silence and missed deadlines has just added to me not wanting to buy a VAG product again.

I've worked in the service department at both VW and currently work at an Audi/Volvo dealer and let me tell you, some of these cars are just absolutely tragic.

My car has been great, nothing near what some of you guys have experienced on yours. In 75k I never had so much as a check engine light come on. Build quality is terrible though. I have less rattles in my 25 year Syclone than the Jetta.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
BMW is there for you if you want the European style car. Of course it comes with a European style price tag.

tsingtao

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2009 Jetta TDI--Bought back 12/21/16
Went with a Mazda3.
So did I. Was able to get a new 2016 Hatchback Mazda3 for $2500 more than VW is paying me for my 2009 Jetta.

So far it looks like the fuel cost per mile will be about the same. The TDI got better mileage but diesel here costs more too so it evens out. The only thing I'll miss is the 500-600 mile range on a tank of fuel.

chasingleprechauns

TDI
2014 Passat, 2014 Jetta
In February, I was darn near furious that our insurance didn't total our Jetta following a hailstorm. The thing looked like it had been in a firefight. But USAA got it fixed -- to the tune of $16K -- but it hasn't been the same since and rattles like a monster. I had been told I was going to be "buried" in my Passat (my husband's loving way of telling me -- you're not getting a new car for a while) but he changed his tune when Dieselgate broke. Win for me. And win for him since he no longer needs the diesel as he drives less than 2 miles to work (previously, we both were putting 150+ miles daily commuting).

As far as how VW is handling all this -- I don't care about the emissions cheating as much as I do the lack of preparation and transparency in regard to the buy-back. But it's all working out well for us. We each rolled almost $4K negative equity into our VW loans -- in the end we will each leave a pretty good chunk of money in our pockets and the cars paid off. I can't be too mad ... I just want it over.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
BMW is there for you if you want the European style car. Of course it comes with a European style price tag.
Well, that's the thing. That's what's hanging me up with finding a replacement for my Jetta. I love the smooth European styling of my Jetta. Seems like I have to pay an extra $10k or more to get anything similar!

As far as being sore with VW? My buyback hasn't progressed pass the "Thanks for uploading your docs. We'll get to determining your eligibility when we get to them" green checkmarks stage. I'm a little sore about that. We'll see how I feel once I get past the actual buy-back. Right now, I'm still leaning towards buying another VW, but I'm also looking for an alternative if I feel like I need to tell them to take a hike when all's said and done...whenever that is.

-T.

Scratcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI BEW Wagon
I was never angry with them. I didn't buy the car because it was touted as a "Green Diesel" I bought it because I love Diesels and VW make decent vehicles and are leaders in Diesel technology. I will be sad to see the TDI go (We went for a AWD for the Michigan winter) Won't stop me from driving a VW again. (I'm already thinking about a good ALH as a beater for my 15 mile daily commute)

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
In February, I was darn near furious that our insurance didn't total our Jetta following a hailstorm. The thing looked like it had been in a firefight. But USAA got it fixed -- to the tune of $16K -- but it hasn't been the same since and rattles like a monster. I had been told I was going to be "buried" in my Passat (my husband's loving way of telling me -- you're not getting a new car for a while) but he changed his tune when Dieselgate broke. Win for me. And win for him since he no longer needs the diesel as he drives less than 2 miles to work (previously, we both were putting 150+ miles daily commuting).

As far as how VW is handling all this -- I don't care about the emissions cheating as much as I do the lack of preparation and transparency in regard to the buy-back. But it's all working out well for us. We each rolled almost $4K negative equity into our VW loans -- in the end we will each leave a pretty good chunk of money in our pockets and the cars paid off. I can't be too mad ... I just want it over.
Too bad you didn't just get a check from USAA for the 16k and turned it in with the hail damage.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
PacCoastFwy923, I agree that clean air is good. I agree that emissions standards should stay up to date.
However, I believe they should be reasonable. The standards on light duty diesels are so strict that it is impossible to meet them 100% of the time. NONE of the DPF equipped cars, including BMW and MB, manage this. They got certified, but with exemptions.
Had VW not lied, and requested a exemption, they might not be in this mess.

What I don't think that you understand is that the CR VWs, even at their worst, are cleaner than the previous generation, and when they do exceed the standards it is only for brief amounts of time.

If you'll bear with me, I'd like to make an analogy:
Researchers claim it is theoretically possible for humans to run as fast as 40 mph.
Usain Bolt is currently the fastest runner, at almost 28 mph between the 60 and 80M markers in the 100M sprint.
Now, let's say you told him he had to run at 25 mph. No problem, right? How about for 5 miles? How about he can't drop under 25 at any point in those 5 miles? Now it's no longer within his ability.

VW was in that situation. They can get the car to meet the standards, but the equipment also has to last at least 80,000 miles and meet some other guidelines that I can't recall.
It is one of those "choose any two of the three" situations.

I believe it is good that there are people pushing manufacturers to make the emissions lower, and sometimes it takes something almost painful to make a change happen, but I think we all know that it is possible to push too far.

Heck, we could solve almost all of California's air quality issues overnight if we wanted: Just tell everyone they have to walk or bicycle to work. Boom: Zero auto emissions, clean air.
Not quite so easy though, is it?

Actually, to make it more accurate an analogy, let's say CA passed a law banning anyone living closer than 5 miles from work from driving there. That's doable.
Next they increase that distance to 10 miles. No big deal. How about a jump to 25? No problem for some people, but a bit much for some others. The next jump would be to 50. How many people would be able/willing to do that?
That's what the EPA has done. They wanted too much.

jtdid

TDI
Golf SportWagen TDI
I will never, ever purchase another VW product again. EVER. No Audi, no Porsche, no car touched by the empire of VW in any way. EVER. I have lost all trust in VW, and it's not just for this diesel situation, which is the frosting on the cake of what I think of now as crappy cars. Apologies for venting a little, but I am 100% done with this company.

Two times, burned BTW. My previous Passat was a piece of junk with massive repair bills. It was rated #1 by Consumer Reports when I bought it, and it ended up being an unreliable, ultimately terrible vehicle, with strange things going wrong way too early to make any sense. Windows, engine, basic mechanical issues, just awful. Decided to unload it when I got a massive repair bill that wasn't covered under warranty. I've owned Fords and Chevys that lasted longer. I thought it was a fluke, so I decided to trust VW one more time... ha!

And now this Golf Sportwagen TDI has been frustrating from week 1. Has devolved into a piece of junk, already rattling and making noises after 17,000 miles. Brake issues, tire sensor issues, screen/entertainment system issues, key fob issues -- just annoying on so many levels, and it's still basically new. And now this diesel deception took the cake and yes, I'm still bitter over it. Not just about the diesel, mind you, but about a company that has totally let me down compared to other American and Japanese vehicles I've owned. A company that at its central heart and soul culture I cannot trust any more. I was sucked into the "German Engineering" marketing crap and I bought a piece of junk -- twice. The ONLY thing I liked about this car was the great highway mileage.

I know that no car company is perfect, and they all have "sins," but there is something very wrong with the culture of this company, IMO, down to the core at Wolfsburg. What other deceits lie beneath this hood? I've followed the diesel debacle closely and I just can't stand the way they handled it, from the beginning when ideas for cheating the emissions system in the US were floated at Audi and VW, and wound up on Powerpoint presentations, the lying, the coded emails with Bosch GmbH etc, the false marketing claims, the "clean" environmental image, and so on... and the way the German government just caved in so easily to VW is just proof positive that the company is too valuable to Germany and Europe to really substantially force any real change. They can mow over the EU, but fortunately, the US pushed back and we got our buyback. I'm happy to take it, and say goodbye.

BTW, this Golf SportWagen TDI was also rated number 1 by Consumer Reports when I bought it. So I no longer trust Consumer Reports either. The two cars I actually trusted with Consumer Reports ended up being the WORST cars I've bought, both VW. Makes me think VW might have been paying off Consumer Reports. But that's for another day, I have no evidence of that, but at this point I wouldn't be surprised.

Okay, my venting is over! :) Thank you for this forum, and I appreciate the help I've gotten here with this buyback situation. I wish all of you good luck of course in whatever you decide to do. Maybe I just got lemons each time I bought a VW, but anyway, I can't wait to wash my hands of this car!

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Actually, this was my second bad VW Corporate experience. Way back when, I bought a 1985 Audi 5000 turbo. The unintended acceleration scandal destroyed its resale value. Then, when the car was out of warranty and hit 75,000 miles, parts and systems started failing as if there was a timer in the car telling the systems when to self destruct. The only thing that was bullet proof was the engine itself.

I wound up selling it at 143,000 miles to an Indy Audi/Porsche mechanic, who fixed it and kept it for himself.

kc1174

TDI
Was a 2015 A3 Prem Plus
Before my Audi A3, I had a 2013 Ford C-Max hybrid. They used the Fusion MPG figures for the C-Max, had to lower the EPA MPG from 47 to 43, sent me a check for $600, then revised it down again to I think 41 MPG and sent me another check for something like $600. No courts, no claims site, no waiting - nothing. And that was Ford. I've already replaced my A3 for an S3 and am happy, but I think the way this has all been handled (not the legal process, but the claim process) made me question whether to trust VW again. I actually got the S3 on 10/31 because it was a bargain and I had faith the A3 would be gone soon. Had I known how much of a pain in the rear this claim process would be, I doubt I'd have an S3 sat outside right now. I wouldn't throw all VW products out the door though - I'd take a Bugatti Veyron if the price was right. Not a Lamborghini tho.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
I return my car Dec 21. Not angry. Disappointed. Harboring any negative emotion about all this after the buyback only hurts oneself. Once the money hits my account, I am moving forward and never looking back. It just isn't worth it.