Still angry with VW after buyback?

jimbo1mcm

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM Blue 2015 SEL TDI PREMIUM's Silver and Blue
I was angry with VW for lying to me about their vehicles, but the buyback has eased it a lot. Of course I will never buy any VW product again.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Get over it. All anger will do is destroy your health.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I am taking the buyout; just waiting to be contacted to schedule the turn-in. Will I buy another VW? Depends on their offerings. I already won't buy any GM products, but Vettes are looking mighty attractive.

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
All the manufacturers cheat in some way, VW was just the latest to get caught. Remember a couple years back Toyota was in trouble for runaway cars? That was big news then. Hyundai got caught, GM got caught for switches, Honda got caught for emissions cheating big time in '97, but it didn't really hit the news so hard but cost them billions.

I know there are many more, that is just what my feeble memory can dredge up right now. Check histories and you may have to resort to riding a horse to avoid scandals, but they do have big emissions problems too.

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
The Jetta was the first VAG car I've ever owned. Also the last one thanks to this situation.

ohenry

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I am not angry, but then I bought my Passat TDI specifically to profit off of this, so why would I be angry?

I have owned VW's before, we had a 2008 Passat 2.0T that we bought new, and kept for 105k miles. And I will consider buying another VW in the future.

But ... I am still dumbfounded by their sheer arrogance at thinking they could get away with this. That is still amazing to me.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
First VW for me, but see no reason to leave. I've lost little and made out well so far.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think a little perspective is helpful. Think of the millions of people around the world who actually have real problems.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I am taking the buyout; just waiting to be contacted to schedule the turn-in. Will I buy another VW? Depends on their offerings. I already won't buy any GM products, but Vettes are looking mighty attractive.
Reminds me of my friend's mother when I was in high school. She lost relatives in the German Holocaust. So, she avoided buying German made merchandise. But my friend says "But Ma, you drive a Volkswagen". Her answer? "That's different. Its a good car." :confused:

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I was angry with VW for lying to me about their vehicles, but the buyback has eased it a lot. Of course I will never buy any VW product again.
I'm the opposite. I wasn't angry at VW for the defeat device or even lying about their vehicles. I'm angry at them now for their malfeasance in handling the buybacks.

NAZ TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI DSG
The problem started with whacko desk jockeys who needlessly strict emission standards! The previous standards, which I believe TDI's could have met, were just fine. Look, you never see smoke out of a TDI, nor do you smell them. I blame these self-appointed do-gooders for trying to take away or ruin my nice little car!

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
The problem started with whacko desk jockeys who needlessly strict emission standards! The previous standards, which I believe TDI's could have met, were just fine. Look, you never see smoke out of a TDI, nor do you smell them. I blame these self-appointed do-gooders for trying to take away or ruin my nice little car!
In Europe they love diesels and can't understand what the issue is. Pretty sure they think we are all paranoid.

By the way that is the Eiffel tower somewhere in that smog.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
The problem started with whacko desk jockeys...
You don't have to see black smoke to have elevated NOx levels. Yes, everything is relative and the number of TDIs on the roads here are a small fraction of the total NOx producers. On the other hand, this was just posted in the last day or so on Jalopnik...

http://jalopnik.com/four-major-cities-may-have-just-sent-a-dagger-through-t-1789601580

You can say everything is hunky dory in the US under the old standards, and you'd be right to say it is OK in most parts of the country. But where there are concentrations of people and vehicles, air quality continues to be a concern. Yes, it's better than it used to be, but that doesn't mean it's good, and there's plenty of room for improvement.

As technologies advance and we can tighten up emissions, why wouldn't we? This isn't a problem being made up. And it's not like you need to read a research paper to see the air is fu*ked up in some places. And it's unrealistic to say you can drive a dirty TDI in areas ABC but you need a clean TDI for cities XY and Z.

Just because our air quality is better than Beijing / Paris / Madrid doesn't mean we should stop seeking to improve.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
For my money - we've gone beyond the point of economic return on making pollution standards any more strict.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
I disagree. I think we're well on the way to zero emissions vehicles being the logical conclusion to all this. We're only 130 years into the automobile -- what makes you think we've reached some sort of pinnacle? It may not be in our lifetimes, but that's no reason to stop improving.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip>

But ... I am still dumbfounded by their sheer arrogance at thinking they could get away with this. That is still amazing to me.
Depending on how it's viewed, they DID get away with it, from 2009-2015! Another angle is: what profits did VWAG make in that time, before they were caught, compared to what they're paying out for Dieselgate?

As far as me, personally, this is our first new VW (we bought a couple of used ones for the kids to drive, back in the day), and since VW is paying us only a few thousand less than what we paid for the car new, after driving it for over 5 years and maybe 80K miles, I can't get my shorts in a knot about this. OTOH, although our Passat has been trouble-free, I've read too many stories about the somewhat delicate and trouble-prone emissions systems (in which I include SCR) on these cars to consider another diesel. So- not upset, just going back to a gasoline car to be named later. Unfortunately, it can't be SAAB, which we owned for 40 years, since they are now a legacy brand.....

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Good for us; got more money for our old one. Wanted to get another one anyway. The downside is there are no other sticks shift diesel sedans available. Went with a Mazda3.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
Move on and live a happy life. Not buying another VW is your right to choose, but don't lose sleep over it!

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
It is a spiritual axiom that every time we are disturbed, no matter what the cause, there is something wrong with us

maybe368

Veteran Member
TDI
Happily none
Sorry to hear that. That certainly is a real problem. I wish you well in overcoming and defeating that obstacle. Hang in there.
Thank you, but I should have been more clear, that was a few years ago and I am blissfully in remission. I wish that people would be more considerate of other's feelings before they post some of these comments...Mark P.S. I had a somewhat cynical view of the world prior to my diagnosis, but after that gut punch, I have a much softer view of the world and I certainly relish each day and am hopeful that good people will do the right thing, even if it takes them a while sometimes...Mark

Last edited:

RegensNoMas

TDI
2011 Golf TDI (sold)
Never had any anger toward VW. The emissions issue is just a minor inconvenience. I'm happy that VW's buyback of my 6-year-old TDI with 90K will completely cover the cost of a new 2017 auto.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
There is an old saying, "Don't Go Away Mad, Just Go Away".

And as for the "disturbance scale" of how disturbing this entire event has been, on a scale of 0 to 10 where 10 is having your entire city wiped out by a tsunami, with you in it, dieselgate ranks maybe an 0.1. If that.

vintovka

Banned
TDI
NO MORE VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Going ruin xmas if they don't hurry up. VW has , and will continue to, impact health. just look at this forum. A 35% import tax on all foreign cars is possible.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
All the manufacturers cheat in some way, VW was just the latest to get caught. Remember a couple years back Toyota was in trouble for runaway cars? That was big news then. Hyundai got caught, GM got caught for switches, Honda got caught for emissions cheating big time in '97, but it didn't really hit the news so hard but cost them billions.
I know there are many more, that is just what my feeble memory can dredge up right now. Check histories and you may have to resort to riding a horse to avoid scandals, but they do have big emissions problems too.
Was Toyota about a floor mat problem?

vw is about a multi years deliberate bold faced EPA, CARB other gov issues lie.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Going ruin xmas if they don't hurry up. VW has , and will continue to, impact health. just look at this forum. A 35% import tax on all foreign cars is possible.
VW and Christmas are entirely unrelated.

Also, a 35% import duty and reality are entirely unrelated.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
No, some owners may have electively scheduled their appointments during Christmas week, but nobody is being forced, and Christmas is not ruined.

35% duties are rhetoric, not reality. Doesn't matter what mouth or Twitter account that spilled from, it doesn't work that way.

CHenry

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI DSG 4-door (sold)
Not angry.

If VW comes through with the buyback on a reasonable schedule and doesn't drag their feet on the layers of "approvals" and other bureaucratic obstacles, I am not particularly aggrieved. I have held onto my car over a year from the time I planned to sell it, but I drove it in the interim and those miles would have been driven on another car that would have had to be fueled, maintained and depreciated more expensively. Still, I don't want to be driving this car into its second 100K miles of service life, which I am certain would be more costly to service.

I would consider buying another VW product down the road, particularly if they come through on their 300 mile range electric by 2020 with a 30-minute charge (I know that kind of charge will have to be done at a high-voltage commercial charge station, but that kind of range would make the car a suitable distance driver, not just a commuter.) Their cars are solid, safe, well-designed and have nice driving qualities and unlike other German makes sold here, don't break the bank. It would be great if Opel sold their cars here also, but that is another issue.

Last edited: