Stiff Shifting WHen Hot, Not Clutch Related

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
I have a 2006 that I recently installed a salvage yard manual trans in with about 160k miles. When cold, the transmission shifts smooth as glass. No issues whatsoever. When the vehicle is hot, like has been idling in place for a little while, the shifter binds when shifting into any gear. There is no gear crunch or noise, just stiff engagement. Shifting is equally difficult whether the engine is on or off, which I take to rule out clutch or hyd issues. Could this be a shift tower issue?

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
Problem solved.

I installed a Dieselgeek Super Slider when I installed the "new" transmission. It's a more precise fit and needs a bit of lube to slide around freely. A fingerfull of lube later and we are shifting and sliding around like new.

As always, start with the simple things!

sirksla

TDI
golf 6 tdi
My companion has a new (to him) Saturn that works fine when cold first thing and presently in colder climate, yet was a bear to change into first gear during the previous summer yet just when motor was blistering. I essentially fail to really see how encompassing temp distinction would change how grasp or tranny functions. BTW, he supplanted the tranny liquid to ensure the appropriate liquid is utilized.
Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox

Last edited: