Stereo Upgrades to my MK7

M36Jackson

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
Hello, Glad to be a part of this forum and finally get to enjoy my TDI.

I have a 2015 Golf TDI SE and I was looking at doing a stereo head unit upgrade. The car came with the basic 5.8" screen, and I would like to upgrade it as my first modification to the car. I did some looking on Ebay, and I found some of these and as far as I am aware they would work just fine, I would just need to find a silver trim piece that goes around the vents.
Link to my example

I wanted to do this and get the MIB1 car play box. Do you think this is a good idea? Would everything work just fine?

Thank you!

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Aftermarket won't work, as many things are integrated and monitored by the headunit in the glovebox: one example is the TPMS, how can you reset tire pressures without a factory headunit?

Depending on what you want, what you need is to upgrade to newer MQB based systems, get reading: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...o-mib2-infotainment-conversion-part-1.343701/

Now, there is ways to jailbreak on your own, depending on maker of MIB 2.x, this one is for Delphi units: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...cp-android-auto-carplay-and-many-more.391741/

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
...The car came with the basic 5.8" screen, and I would like to upgrade ...
You need to upgrade to MIB II first to be able to upgrade the screen then as the next bigger screen (and up) are all a different resolution. Also, not worth to spend on a separate interface for Car Play or Android Auto, when MIB II or MIB 2.5 will come with both.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
My parts list:

Main unit: going out 5G0035844 (MIB1, Panasonic), going in 3Q0035844B (MIB2, Delphi). Ebay for $125
Screen: out 5G0919605H, in 3G0919605H. Ebay for $100
USB jack: removed the MDI, routed and connected 5G0 035 222 E. Ebay for $49
D-Link DUB-E100 (the black one): Groovesland for $36.56
Online help from Brazil (only 1h difference): $80...I only recommend you go with this guy if you are pretty proficient yourself as he might not be able to get every single detail (adaptations) completed.

I did buy VCP, but you don't need it if you already have VCDS. No need for VAS tool or ODIS with this Brazilian guy.

Total $390.56, I say I did not too shabby

M36Jackson

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
You need to upgrade to MIB II first to be able to upgrade the screen then as the next bigger screen (and up) are all a different resolution. Also, not worth to spend on a separate interface for Car Play or Android Auto, when MIB II or MIB 2.5 will come with both.
That makes more sense now. I saw this guy's video and he had the 6.5" screen and was still installing the module for apple car play/android auto. I figured that you could simply upgrade the screen without bothering with the actual MIB system.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
That makes more sense now. I saw this guy's video and he had the 6.5" screen and was still installing the module for apple car play/android auto. I figured that you could simply upgrade the screen without bothering with the actual MIB system.
Yeah, that's not an MIB1 in the glovebox. Plenty documented, if you connect a larger screen to MIB1 you will see a partial image, enlarged. If you connect an MIB2 to a small 5.8" screen you will get 4 squares of tiny screens...or something like that, can't recall which one is which, but it doesn't work.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
There are a couple threads about units that provide the same functionality as what you linked. All work the same way, as a "man in the middle" to pipe Android Auto/Carplay to your screen. They typically make use of your aux in jack and sniff the can bus for steering audio control. They require no modification to your existing MIB I so all the integrated functions remain.

The one in this thread is quite a bit less expensive than the one you linked.

The one in this thread is much more expensive. I would go with the other option myself.

Of course, if you want to bigger screen, OEM MIB II, etc... then check all the links previously posted. It can be done, but take your time and do the research. Tons of info out there, but it's constantly evolving and not always in one place. Very easy to get confused and in the weeds about things you need (as a self-proclaimed VW nerd who has done a lot of retrofits and messing around I would not begin your journey with self jail-braking of anything). I would start here though...

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
...not begin your journey with self jail-braking of anything)...
C'mon!

I was so close (yet so far 😂) of doing my own jail breaking, reading on how it was possible in Audi MMI, but not enough info on VW. But now, this polish dude published it all, for many brands, regions, all!!!

Of course, I'm VCDS proficient, and can understand scripts and a bit of code.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
C'mon!... Of course, I'm VCDS proficient, and can understand scripts and a bit of code.
That's the operative statement right there, which was not mentioned earlier, haha. I don't know @M36Jackson's background, and they may know way more than they've let on. But it was assumed that screen upgrades were plug and play, and they are not. Where our experience makes us think that's an obvious thing it's not at all intuitive. Zero shame in not knowing, but going from that to jailbreaking a unit (that you didn't even know you needed) is a huge leap.

I've followed all the jailbreak threads, posts and discussion all over. I've done a lot of dabbling, had every available MIB screen, some flavor of all the main units, had them remotely activated, had plug and play units with hacked up janky software, all of it. Still not interested in jailbreaking a unit. If all the OP wants is CarPlay/AndroidAuto, and given the link they provided... all the rest of this is not necessary.

And that's coming from someone with retrofitted DCC that is now wasting valuable time working on RGB ambient lighting and retrofit of external soundaktor 🙃.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, yeah. Perhaps because the procedure for MMI was so clean, but the front door login was needed; and watching my remote help do the work, but be relatively clueless with adaptations.

You are right in saying that a lot of reading is needed, as VCDS, a little telnet, and a dash of hardware are needed.

I AM interested in jailbreaking a unit, since I now have all parts necessary...but, I don't need to do it, unless, of course the current one craps out...always a possibility 😆

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
That was my first mod to the car - Upgraded from the MIB1 system to MIB2. It was the single best thing I could have done to the car. The MIB1 system just feels unfinished.

This is very well documented over at golfmk7.com in the DIY forum. I rented the required tools to do the programming, and had one of the members over there do it for me. I think the total cost was $420 for all parts plus programming. WELL worth the money.