Stereo Upgrade Worth it!!!

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Not sure why you'd want to do this. Dub the tapes into MP3's. Burn them to a single SD card. Rip them to an Ipod. DO ANYTHING BUT TRY TO FIND A TAPE DECK.

Seriously, I scanned Crutchfield. Didn't see any. Couldn't you just use an old Sony Walkman (off Ebay) and the aux jack?
Agreed! Once you've ripped them and put them on an iPod it will be much easier to find tunes and albums. No flipping through tapes while driving. I would love to find a car stereo that takes LP's but I'm not holding my breath. Ah, who am I kidding, now that I see how great Voice Recognition is on an iPod loaded with albums I'll never look back. Just say "Play the artist ______" or "Play the album ____" and it does it all for you.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
trouble is, all of these options would require me having a tape deck to rip to cd/mp3, where audio quality is further compromised. i've always had cars with tape decks until now, and am a sucker for the whole experience of popping tapes in 'n out, listening to whole records like LPs (no skipping songs)... but apparently i'm in a very small minority.

the Walkman idea ain't bad - takes a bit more distracted effort while driving (two hands, probably), and mediocre sound quality. i just thought - if i'm upgrading from the RCD, why not get a tape deck rather than a CD player that i'll never use?

thanks for the input... viva la tape!

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
St. Hubbins:

If you want to keep the tape deck, most modern car audio head units have a mini stereo or RCA input section. These inputs are commonly used for DVD players and such, but could easily accept an audio-only signal from, say, a tape deck!

Where to mount the tape deck is, of course, up to you. Underneath the driver's seat is a particularly roomy location, for example. The glovebox is another good choice, if you don't mind giving up the space.

A solution like this would give you a nice modern head unit with navigation and the flexibility to select a high-quality 12V tape deck to it.

letterman52

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking for one now
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the Sportwagen's connector from the Car to the head unit? I want to a a line out converter, but need to know which wire is which.

pjosh.eastgate

TDI
2011 Golf
does anyone able to utilize the OEM bluetooth mic(US spec) for the AVIC-Z110/120BT?
I was wondering that as well. I just bought a Golf TDI (yay first VW!!!!! I love the car by the way, not so thrilled with the audio.) I was thinking of going Sony XNV-660BT because of the Tom Tom GPS, I heard that the Pioneer navigation wasn't worth writing home about.
So three questions:

1. @Muthafunk: how is the navi on the Pioneer?

2. would I be able to use the OEM bluetooth mic?

3. Does the PAC modules retain functionality on display track titles on the dashboard?

Thank you! You were an inspiration to us all!:D

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I was wondering that as well. I just bought a Golf TDI (yay first VW!!!!! I love the car by the way, not so thrilled with the audio.) I was thinking of going Sony XNV-660BT because of the Tom Tom GPS, I heard that the Pioneer navigation wasn't worth writing home about.
So three questions:
1. @Muthafunk: how is the navi on the Pioneer?
2. would I be able to use the OEM bluetooth mic?
3. Does the PAC modules retain functionality on display track titles on the dashboard?
Thank you! You were an inspiration to us all!:D
The Pioneer Nav is o.k. It's not great. The Garmin I had before was a little more intuitive for on the fly adjustments but the Pioneer has more features thus making it more complicated to use. I'm satisfied with it but there is room for improvement. If cost wasn't an issue and your looking for a good nav system, I'd look into the Kenwood line as they have contracted thier nav programing out to Garmin. I only used a Tom Tom once when GPS was new and wasn't a fan of the interface. Perhaps the Tom Tom is a great system now.

I can't say for sure if you'd be able to adapt the OEM mic to be used with any of the after market ones, or if it would function. My gut feeling is it wouldn't work. I can tell you the pioneer mic uses vents along the side for a noise canceling feature to eliminate background noise. When I had the pioneer mic installed in the OEM spot, callers complained about the quality of my voice. The Voice Recognition features still worked great though...

As for the stereo track display in the MFD. No. This is the only downside to going after market as I was able to achieve better performance than stock on every other feature offered by the stock system. i.e. Steering wheel controls, Bluetooth functionality, Sound Quality, AM/FM reception, and even more with iPod and Voice Command functions. The only function I couldn't get was the MFD. I didn't even think about it until I read your post because being a cheap fellow I always keep my display on my fuel consumption.

pjosh.eastgate

TDI
2011 Golf
Thanks for the info, the MFD doesn't really matter to me other than the MPG information. As long as that works I am fine :D

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Yeah, the only difference in the MFD is the stereo display screen is skipped when you scroll through.

mbragg10

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Forgive me for mucking up your thread, but this seems like the most informed place to ask.

I'm needing to replace my HU (factory 6 disc changer) in my 09 Jetta TDI. I'm thinking of going with the Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD because its cheap and my only priority really is iPod integration.

There's this "Double Din Dash Radio Stereo Install Kit +Wire Harness" on ebay that comes with a dash kit, wiring harness and antenna adapter. The price is great but will it work? Is that all I'll need to get basic functionality out of the unit? Will I have any steering wheel control? I know the OP bought 2 (3) other units for steering wheel control. Will I need similar even for simple volume up and down?

I've never installed a car stereo before, nor had an aftermarket one period for that matter, so I'm trying to make sure what all I'll need before I dive in.

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
That looks like a Scosche kit, but it won't do everything you want. The double DIN adapter will work fine, and the antenna adapter will work well with FM only. That wiring harness will get you the speaker outs and power connections, but no steering wheel control.

Here's the list of everything you need for certain features to work:

Scosche VW2317B - Double DIN adapter for Volkswagen dash

Connects2 CT27AA56 - powered AM+FM, buy it from Enfig online if you care about AM radio. The Scosche VWA4B will work with FM just fine, and it's cheaper.

PAC C2R-VW2 + PAC SWI-PS - wiring harness + CAN-Bus adapter + steering wheel control - buy this for steering wheel control and all the extra goodies like parking brake, speed sensor, headlight dimming and reverse status.

You absolutely do need all that crap if you want the steering wheel buttons to work, since everything happens on the CAN bus. You can get a barebones wiring harness and use the unit's volume control and save about $100, if you want.

pjosh.eastgate

TDI
2011 Golf
@mbragg

I am a newbie too, but with the help of this forum I was able to install a double din after market HU. The two PAC modules really make things a lot easier, as the wiring harness from the C2R-VW2 connects to the car system, and the SWI-PS (for pioneer and sony) connects to the C2R-VW2.

It was just a matter of connecting wires with the head unit and I was good to go. I don't know if you see this here, but you'll need a Torx driver (T-20) and then either a plastic trim removal kit or carefully use a flat head screwdriver. Good luck!

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
mbragg10, if iPod use is your only priority you can go without replacing your hu if that interests you... See my sig for a solution that is easy to install and gives you what you've listed as your needs. That is a nice Pioneer though... tough decision.

mbragg10

TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
Thanks for the info and encouragement guys. I'm going to go ahead and order the parts ham suggested with the steering wheel controls. I think it should be a little shy of $500 all said and done which I think is pretty good for a nice bump in performance and "coolness."

Tim$2, I actually already have a factory iPod dock in my arm rest. The reason I'm replacing the unit is because I've got a hardware malfunction with the cd player and it won't play or load or eject discs anymore. Not really a big deal since I don't use discs very much, but the problem is even when I'm listening to my iPod or the radio an error message pops up every 30 secs or so and mutes the sound for a few seconds. Its really annoying. Plus I wasn't satisfied with how the factory unit handled the iPod anyway really, so its a nice excuse for an upgrade.

But now that you mention it, would there be any way to use the existing factory iPod dock with the new Pioneer unit? I assume not since you have to use a special cable out of the front of the unit to get full control. Maybe some way to connect it in the back and get limited audio at least?

Tim$2

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW
Definitely time for a new hu then. Not sure about using the factory dock because I've never seen one. The cable that goes the factory head would need to have the same style connection as the Pioneer to work I would imagine.

Last edited:

kwalsh24

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Golf 2dr (SOLD), 09 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Did you sell the stock RCD510 unit? I just got a 09 with a non sat H/U so that has put me in a snag of getting ipod integration so doing some looking around :S

Pillow

TDI
2010 MK VI JSW TDI
I am looking to change radios.

Has anyone successfully reused:
- Factory microphone (near dome lights)
- Factory Sirius tuner
- Factory Sirius antenna

I called Crutchfield and they said that none of the above mentioned items could be reused... Which is not good. I do not want to mount a different microphone or Sirius antenna.

Any insights here guys?

Thanks!!!

kwhitelaw

TDI
jsw white
I am looking to change radios.

Has anyone successfully reused:
- Factory microphone (near dome lights)
- Factory Sirius tuner
- Factory Sirius antenna

I called Crutchfield and they said that none of the above mentioned items could be reused... Which is not good. I do not want to mount a different microphone or Sirius antenna.

Any insights here guys?

Thanks!!!

you should be able to tie into the mic and reuse the antenna. you will need to splice the mic wiring and possibly remove the connector plastic for the antenna plug. no way you are using the factory tuner though.

note* I have not done this on a new jetta, but have reused factory mic's and satellite antennas on dozens of vehicles over the years. depending on the tuner location, you may need to purchase an antenna extension cable. easily sourced online.

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
you should be able to tie into the mic and reuse the antenna. you will need to splice the mic wiring and possibly remove the connector plastic for the antenna plug. no way you are using the factory tuner though.

note* I have not done this on a new jetta, but have reused factory mic's and satellite antennas on dozens of vehicles over the years. depending on the tuner location, you may need to purchase an antenna extension cable. easily sourced online.
I attempted to re-use the dome mic in my 2010 Jetta Sedan, but couldn't make it happen. I suspect that the mic is only activated when the bluetooth module is engaged, since I spliced the two wires in the factory harness into a 2.5mm mono microphone plug with no luck.