Stereo Upgrade Worth it!!!

soundchk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Highline - Graphite Blue
Great idea using the XLR connector. I will definately do that if I decide to seperate my AMP from the box ...

You are right, the sound of the RCD is terrible. Even turned down, the highs and high mids distort like crazy. Glad to hear it's not the speakers. I am now seriously considering a new HU ... maybe next summer.

Sweet rig. Excellent job! Nice and professional ...

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
MuthaFunk:

I'm going to pick up an AVIC-X920BT based on your guide here, and recommendations around the forum. I'm confused about the interface harnesses, however. SonicElectronix recommends the Scosche VW07SR, which has a wiring diagram here - http://www.scosche.com/ecom/download/VW07SR_singles.pdf That looks like the appropriate harness to provide all the necessary signal wires into the unit. Am I missing something? The CAN-Bus interface is a mysterious black box to me, so I want to do this correctly.

I read about your experience with the PAC SWI-PS + PAC SWI-CAN modules, and how the track forward/back buttons didn't work until you installed the PAC C2R-VW2. Did you install the PAC C2R-VW2 in addition to the previous modules, or did it replace those two?

If I had a full list of required parts, I could order them without fear of things not functioning upon delivery. Many thanks!

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
I prefer the AVIC-Z120BT. A little more screen real estate, otherwise same head unit. I ran the Scosche for mine until speakers started mysteriously not playing. I pulled the head unit and looked at the harness. The wires are working their way out of the Scosche adaper and hanging loose, shorting things. Not a good behavior in a wiring adapter. I'm building a new one now so I've got the RCD back in. Stereo sounds bad... makes me a sad panda...

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
Thanks Toeball! Did you pick up this ( http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14893_Scosche+VW07SR+-+VW07.html ) adapter?

I read the AVIC installation manual last night, and the wiring seemed pretty straightforward. I don't understand, however, where the signal from the steering wheel controls come into the new head unit.

Hmmmm...

VW07SR: 2002-up VW CAN Bus Stereo Replacement Interface w/Harness: 2007-08 Eos, 2002-08 Golf/GTI/R32, 2002-08 Jetta/GLI, 2002-07 Passat and 2006-08 Rabbit.

Any idea why they don't say 2002-2010? I'd find out why before I'd buy.

http://www.scosche.com/press.room/?year=2008&newsID=406

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Canyonlands:

Now you're beginning to understand my confusion here :)

MuthaFunk should be able to clarify this madness for us, once he sees the trouble he's started!

Canyonlands

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M
Canyonlands:

Now you're beginning to understand my confusion here :)

MuthaFunk should be able to clarify this madness for us, once he sees the trouble he's started!

Nah, I was just pointing that out. By the time *I* decide to upgrade from the RCD 510 this will be well settled and there will likely be a few better options available.

Good luck though. Perhaps Scosche just hasn't updated their product information...since 2008.

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
You will need the PAC C2R-VW2 and the SWI-PS plus an antenna adapter. That's it. Make sure you get the latest REV. or at least the rev I listed here of the SWI-PS in order to get the Voice Recognition button on the steering wheel to work. PACs website has all the info there about that.

The PAC C2R-VW2 is not only your Can Bus interpreter but also your wiring harness. The C2R-VW2 connects directly to the SWI-PS via factory harness and then the SWI-PS converts the PAC standard signals made by the C2R-VW2 from your car into the head unit specific signal sent to the Pioneer via 1/8" mini jack. At least I think it's 1/8". The C2R-
VW2 will also hook directly up to your Pionners Power, Acc. wire to control the head. As I wrote in this thread, you're stereo will no longer shut off when you turn the engine off, it will remain powered until the key is removed due to the way the C2R-VW2 functions.

I can't tell you anything about the Scoche interface because I don't have any experience with it. I can tell you the PAC modules work great and are a pleasure to install. Recently I found I didn't get any AM stations with the current antenna adapter listed in this thread. I never listen to AM so I didn't notice until recently when a friend wanted to check out some local news talk show. Today I'm going to install Dual Fakra Antenna Adapter I got off of ebay and see if it will get me the AM stations as well. It will utalize both factory antennas as opposed to the single connecter I currently have connected. Although I get excellent FM reception with the current one, I wanted this install to be better than factory. The factory RCD had AM. Hopefully this new antenna adapter works.

I will post back an the end of the day to make an edit to my original post with regards to the outcome of the Dual Fakra Antenna Adapter vs the Metra one I have listed in this thread.

OrangeMonster

TDI
2011 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
You will need the PAC C2R-VW2 and the SWI-PS plus an antenna adapter. That's it. Make sure you get the latest REV. or at least the rev I listed here of the SWI-PS in order to get the Voice Recognition button on the steering wheel to work. PACs website has all the info there about that.

The PAC C2R-VW2 is not only your Can Bus interpreter but also your wiring harness. The C2R-VW2 connects directly to the SWI-PS via factory harness and then the SWI-PS converts the PAC standard signals made by the C2R-VW2 from your car into the head unit specific signal sent to the Pioneer via 1/8" mini jack. At least I think it's 1/8". The C2R-
VW2 will also hook directly up to your Pionners Power, Acc. wire to control the head. As I wrote in this thread, you're stereo will no longer shut off when you turn the engine off, it will remain powered until the key is removed due to the way the C2R-VW2 functions.

I can't tell you anything about the Scoche interface because I don't have any experience with it. I can tell you the PAC modules work great and are a pleasure to install. Recently I found I didn't get any AM stations with the current antenna adapter listed in this thread. I never listen to AM so I didn't notice until recently when a friend wanted to check out some local news talk show. Today I'm going to install Dual Fakra Antenna Adapter I got off of ebay and see if it will get me the AM stations as well. It will utalize both factory antennas as opposed to the single connecter I currently have connected. Although I get excellent FM reception with the current one, I wanted this install to be better than factory. The factory RCD had AM. Hopefully this new antenna adapter works.

I will post back an the end of the day to make an edit to my original post with regards to the outcome of the Dual Fakra Antenna Adapter vs the Metra one I have listed in this thread.
You must have mad skills. I would love to upgrade the sound system in our 2011 TDI Wagon one day...but judging from the posts in this thread I think I have a better chance in learning Martian.

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I appreciate the kind words but the truth is I'm just an average guy who has installed aftermarket stereos in my previous vehicles. The real skill in this project was in Internet research!!

I've edited one of my original installation posts to reflect that the new Dual Fakra Antenna Adapter works like a charm!!! I get tones of AM stations. (I didn't know there were that many aournd here) I don't have a model # for it because it wasn't listed on the ebay page it was purchased from. The Ebay seller is in the UK and has many of them up on ebay. Looked like a car audio business.

Here is the list of items one would need to purchase to install this Pioneer:

-Pioneer X series Head Unit
-iPod adapter for the Pioneer (You don't need this if your using USB or micro SD memory devices for your music)
-PAC C2R-VW2 (Comes with all the wiring instructions and harness you'll need) http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1002&CategoryID=26
-PAC SWI-PS Ver. 1.6.8 (to get full steering wheel functionality) http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=210&CategoryID=29
-Dual Fakra Antenna Adapter (to get excellent AM and FM reception) http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260662254019&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
-Scoche Volkswagen 2-Din Dash Mount http://www.scosche.com/products/productID/551

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I picked up a used AVIC-Z110BT on ebay. Since it's very similar to the AVIC-X920BT, it ought to install in much the same fashion as yours. I'll certainly document the process on my build log here - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291028

I ordered my misc. parts from sonicelectronix.com and since they only had the Scosche kit in stock, I went with the following:

Scosche VW07SR (Wiring harness, also provides hand-brake, illumination, speed sensor, etc. from CAN-Bus)
Scosche SWC-CAN (Interprets signals from steering wheel controls)
Scosche SWC-PS (Goes between SWC-CAN and Pioneer remote input)
Scosche 2317B (Double DIN faceplate kit for VW dash)
Pioneer CD-IU200v (2 meter iPod USB/stereo input cable)

If the Scosche kit turns out to not function correctly, I'll send it back and get the pieces that you installed from PAC.

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I suspect that the Scosche kits are just re-sold PAC modules with a profit markup. Clever bastards!

Check this out, a PAC SWI-PS in a Scosche bag.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
Are there any models that are significantly cheaper than the $1000+ ones being tossed around here? I can't see dropping that kind of money to add an on screen GPS and improved sound quality.

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
What sort of feature set are you looking for, TDIinMA? I looked at a lot of units before picking up my AVIC-Z110BT, so maybe I can help.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
What sort of feature set are you looking for, TDIinMA? I looked at a lot of units before picking up my AVIC-Z110BT, so maybe I can help.
Well, mainly just GPS. I have it in my phone and a Garmin, but they are annoying and clutter the interior. I like the phone integration of the upgraded VW model too, but not for $1600 (!) Rear view camera is nice too.

BTW, I read people saying that they are installing amps and subs, but is anyone swapping out the speakers? How is just a head unit going to improve sound quality?

I have other mods to purchase well before this, if it even happens at all, like fog lights and mats though...

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The AVIC-X920BT is probably the best value for GPS, head unit and Bluetooth. Pioneer has a $100 rebate until the end of October if you buy from an authorized retailer ($1000) but you can find it on sonicelectronix.com for $650 (no rebate).

I also liked the Kenwood DNX units, but they're generally more expensive than their Pioneer cousins. I didn't bother with Alpine, but they love selling units that are very modular, i.e. buy a head unit with a bluetooth module, a nav module, and a post-processing module. That may be a useful route if you don't want to drop a lot of money all at once.

Pioneer also makes a Nav unit upgrade for their AVH line called the AVIC-U220.

I've swapped out my entire speaker set for a full head unit + amp setup. You can read about it in my build log. It's a work-in-progress, but sounds decidedly better than the stock setup.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
The AVIC-X920BT is probably the best value for GPS, head unit and Bluetooth. Pioneer has a $100 rebate until the end of October if you buy from an authorized retailer ($1000) but you can find it on sonicelectronix.com for $650 (no rebate).

I also liked the Kenwood DNX units, but they're generally more expensive than their Pioneer cousins. I didn't bother with Alpine, but they love selling units that are very modular, i.e. buy a head unit with a bluetooth module, a nav module, and a post-processing module. That may be a useful route if you don't want to drop a lot of money all at once.

Pioneer also makes a Nav unit upgrade for their AVH line called the AVIC-U220.

I've swapped out my entire speaker set for a full head unit + amp setup. You can read about it in my build log. It's a work-in-progress, but sounds decidedly better than the stock setup.
Thanks! You've obviously done your research.

This is a pretty low priority for me right now. I may just wait for the better NAV phones to come out and use that instead. :cool: (I have DVD headrests)

I used to be into customizing my stereo system way back when and adding pull-out units, amps and nicer speakers, but now I like to stick with the stock stuff to avoid break-ins. The RC510 is adequate, but I sure miss the rush of the sub and surround in the Bose system I had in my last car (And that on the heels of a sweet Harman Kardon setup prior). :(

Even the premium sound in the Routan I was looking at before deciding to get the JSW instead was killer with a 506W amp.

Last edited:

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
For what it's worth, I got my used AVIC-Z110BT for $730 on ebay. I considered it a worthwhile upgrade from the AVIC-X920BT because I didn't like the side buttons. A Z110BT can be upgraded to a Z120BT with a $150 flash memory kit from Pioneer that updates the GPS software, database, bluetooth firmware and the user interface.

The X920BT and the Z110BT/Z120BT also have rear camera. I think all of the Pioneer AVH models can do backup camera, since they have a video in.

Last edited:

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Are there any models that are significantly cheaper than the $1000+ ones being tossed around here? I can't see dropping that kind of money to add an on screen GPS and improved sound quality.
Remember $1000 is total installation price. You could probably do it much cheaper today with the Pioneer discount. The AVIC-X920 could be had for $550 if purchased before the end of this month. The PAC Modules will run you around $220 and the Antenna adapter will cost $15, and dash mount kit $30. So that's just a hair over $800. You can get around $500 for your used RCD-510 so for $300, you will get full integrated GPS, a stellar ipod interface with voice recognition that works great, a built in hands free bluetooth module that also has voice recognition for selecting contacts to dial, and offers bluetooth audio streaming. Oh yeah, don't forget, it sounds so much better your ears will thank you every day you get in to your car.

I think it's a bargin in the Auto world. At the dealer, $300 doesn't get your too far.

Last edited:

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Muthafunk:

I have all the parts and pieces soldered and heat shrunk and installed and OH NO! I ran into an issue.

I ended up with a Scosche VW07SR (which looks to be a copy of the C2R-VW), a PAC SWI-CAN 1.4.16 and a PAC SWI-PS 1.6.8 (for the voice recognition).

I set my SWI-PS to interface #2 per the instructions online, set the SWI-CAN to rotary position #3 per the instructions online, and then started programming.

The steering wheel vol+, vol- and phone work, but track left, track right, and the mic button do not work. By "not work" I mean that the red LED on the SWI-PS doesn't blink when I press them, and the SWI-PS will time out during programming no matter how long I hold them.

What gives? Was your installation more hassle-free?

Last edited:

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I had a similar experience when I only had the SWI-CAN and SWI-PS hooked up. After I figured out the track FWD and REV buttons weren't going to program, I was able to get the voice function to work still by skipping the track FWD and REV button programing and going on to the voice button in the end. I knew then I had the wrong module despite being told by a PAC employee over the phone that the SWI-CAN would be able to program the Track FWD and REV buttons. After I got the CR2-VW2 "note the exact model # because there is also a CR2-VW that is not designed for this car" in place of the SWI-CAN, the programming went exactly as the instructions indicated.

Post back and let us know how it worked out for you.

hamfactorial

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Muthafunk:

I came to much the same conclusion after emailing a local shop. Apparently the Scosche VW07SR is kind of a bastard version of the C2R-VW2 by PAC. The VW07SR provides a wiring harness which works perfectly, but the CAN bus signals get screwed up.

The instructions for the VW07SR show a SWI-CAN and a SWI-PS as required. I hooked them all up, but no dice!

I looked up the wiring diagram for the C2R-VW2 and noticed that it plugs directly into the SWI-PS without the need for a SWI-CAN in between. Nice!

I have a C2R-VW2 on order, which should be in on Friday afternoon or Saturday morning. If everything goes according to plan, I'll RMA the unnecessary PAC SWI-CAN and Scosche VW07SR.

In any case, this install is nearly done!

MuthaFunk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
Sounds like you've got it worked out. I'm sure you'll be up and running no problem once you get all the same equipment I used.

EJtdeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Graphite 2011 Golf TDI
MuthaFunk, thanks for the great info on your install. I just purchased my Golf TDI yesterday and it comes with the Dynaudio premium sound system. It sounds O.K. I'll be looking to upgrade with a sub woofer in the future. In the owners manual it shows a digital audio broadcast feature on the radio. Too bad it isn't available on my system, I would be more likely to upgrade working around my stock head unit.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
ok - i've finally come to admit that the RCD-510 does actually kind of suck... at least for what i'd expect in an otherwise fine automobile. sound quality is pretty weak, and the ipod sync/compatibility issues are unacceptable.

here's the deal - the compact disc has been nearing complete irrelevance for years... nearly all of my cd collection is on my ipod, except for the ones that skip like mad (it's funny: i've got 45 year-old LPs that sound like pure gold, and 10 year-old cd's that aren't worth the plastic they're made from... but that's another rant;))

perhaps this option doesn't exist, but my ideal is to replace my stock system with something that sounds at least good, and that not only gets along with my ipod, but will play my beloved stash of bootlegs... that's right, i'm looking for a new system w/ a tape deck!

am i dreaming, or what?!

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
anyone?
Bueller?

don't make me actually research this on my own! ;)

torqueit

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Not sure why you'd want to do this. Dub the tapes into MP3's. Burn them to a single SD card. Rip them to an Ipod. DO ANYTHING BUT TRY TO FIND A TAPE DECK.

Seriously, I scanned Crutchfield. Didn't see any. Couldn't you just use an old Sony Walkman (off Ebay) and the aux jack?