Stereo from another 2000 Jetta safe mode

Patr2020

TDI
2005 jetta, 2000 Jetta
Hey guys, so I have a stereo I am trying to use which came from a doner car of the same year. I call vw and they give me the code for free.

I go to enter the code and nothing it locks me out..

Again This is not the original stereo from the car I am working on. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been able to fix this problem?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Either you are entering the code wrong or the code they have given you is incorrect.
Sure the code they give you is for the "new" radio and not the original one?

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Hey guys, so I have a stereo I am trying to use which came from a doner car of the same year. I call vw and they give me the code for free.
Again This is not the original stereo from the car I am working on. I'm just wondering if anyone else has been able to fix this problem?
What number did you give them? They must use the code on top of the actual radio, not your vin number.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What number did you give them? They must use the code on top of the actual radio, not your vin number.
Yes, the radio serial number is what they (the dealer) need. They almost always ask for the vehicle vin, but from what I have read it's more of a security thing than having anything to do with getting the radio code.

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI, 81 VW Truck TiDi, 85 Jetta TiDi
I call vw and they give me the code for free.
VW who ?
VW where ?

Someone you spoke to was probably just having fun with you, and spit out a 4 digit number.

None of them that i have ever called would give a code for a second hand radio - for Free. They would for a payment though.
To the tune of $25-$35

The best alternative i was able to find after lengthy www searches was a guy in Poland. Was $7 or $8 USD via PayPal
He shot me back the security code and it worked.

There is no cheater code or magic unlock for these VW radios

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW who ?
VW where ?
Someone you spoke to was probably just having fun with you, and spit out a 4 digit number.
None of them that i have ever called would give a code for a second hand radio - for Free. They would for a payment though.
To the tune of $25-$35
The best alternative i was able to find after lengthy www searches was a guy in Poland. Was $7 or $8 USD via PayPal
He shot me back the security code and it worked.
There is no cheater code or magic unlock for these VW radios
I have gotten radio codes at n/c from a certain VW dealer in the past. In the owners manual it states this radio code will be provided at n/c. I suppose it refers to the original, but the process is the same.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Last time I was at the dealer looking for radio codes, they wanted $50 to give me the code and they wanted the car to pull the radio.

Crooks.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Last time I was at the dealer looking for radio codes, they wanted $50 to give me the code and they wanted the car to pull the radio.

Crooks.
Crooks? for charging for their time? I don't think so. Some dealerships make it an ordeal where the mechanic, who is paid by the work, not by the hour, will get the code. That means $$. I think it's a waste of time and inflates the price.

At a dealer I have used in the past the service writer, not the mechanic, will go to the car and pull the radio to get the code and translate it. Charging for that is fair and how much is debateable, but they should do it as goodwill since it's such little work.

It's like asking me how much should I charge to clear a code with my VCDS? I don't really want a payment, and a 6 pack of some IPA beer would do the trick. However, if they don't "tip" I still let them have it, but I wouldn't do it again unless I do their timing belt job.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
The thing is they are supposed to ask you for the VIN and Radio serial number and give you a code over the phone. My dealer refused to do it even though it says in the manual they are supposed to.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
The thing is they are supposed to ask you for the VIN and Radio serial number and give you a code over the phone. My dealer refused to do it even though it says in the manual they are supposed to.
Not trying to start an argument with you, but where did you get the impression they are supposed to do that? Please tell me where it's written like that so we all can benefit.

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
In the owners manual pouch - one of the booklets is titled "Volkswagen Sound System" .

The front cover is a 2 page fold-out.
On the inside of the cover, the lower right half corner is a tear out - it is the Radio ID Card with serial number and security code.

Next to the tear out - the lower left half corner , it states , word for word =

Important Note !
Please remove the "Radio Card" and keep it in a safe place !
If you lose the Radio Card and the code number, your authorized VOLKSWAGEN Dealer will help you free-of-charge.

They have invisible fine print somewhere on the page.
I heard - are you the orig owner ? ... $25 otherwise
And then - if radio serial does not match to VIN data - $35
Didn't bother to ask if that was cumulative.

Next dealer just said $35 flat out - the freebie part was only good while still within warranty period. 1998 was a long time ago.

The guy in Poland had decent english and it was quick & easy.

Then later that night took a drive.
Although the radio was identical to previous dead unit -
when switched on headlights - the buttons illuminated RED and the read out screen was BLUE. lol
ouch !
The old one was all GREEN like the rest of dash illuminations.
Must have been from a Mk4 car. :rolleyes:

VincenzaV

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Baron is correct. My manual says the same thing.

Is there a way to get your current code with your VCDS before you disconnect the radio to try a swap to a "better" VW stock radio?

Baron VonZeppelin

Veteran Member
TDI
Its a roll of the dice Vince.
The defacto original issue radio will rejoin the car on its own after removal, or after a battery disconnect. (cars with computerized management controls)

If the radio just so happens to be an exact style replacement - but not the defacto original issue - you will have to have the 4 digit security code for THAT radio. Sometimes it has been written on top of radio ... if you're LUCKY.

The radio I mentioned above, was bought on eBay.
They had the "Radio Card" for it.
Well ... they had owned several VW's in past ... turned out the card sent was not to that radio. He found a second card ... still not the right one.
So they refunded me in full.

Hindsight - verify the Radio Card serial number matches the serial number of the actual radio before making a purchase. Some folks don't sweat those little details like that ... :rolleyes:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Its a roll of the dice Vince.
The defacto original issue radio will rejoin the car on its own after removal, or after a battery disconnect. (cars with computerized management controls)
If the radio just so happens to be an exact style replacement - but not the defacto original issue - you will have to have the 4 digit security code for THAT radio. Sometimes it has been written on top of radio ... if you're LUCKY.
The radio I mentioned above, was bought on eBay.
They had the "Radio Card" for it.
Well ... they had owned several VW's in past ... turned out the card sent was not to that radio. He found a second card ... still not the right one.
So they refunded me in full.
Hindsight - verify the Radio Card serial number matches the serial number of the actual radio before making a purchase. Some folks don't sweat those little details like that ... :rolleyes:
I think this feature only works on the double DIN radios, so late 2002 model year and newer.