Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V w/AFN swap, 2011 JSW with a leaking pano

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
96 B4V,
here's a link to the photos of the backside of the steering wheel, and the part it mounts to. https://smos.smugmug.com/Other/Passat/51231094_FbM29n#!i=4267669857&k=TVQVH6Z
I have no idea how to upload photos to this forum.
My horn has not worked in quite a while, is the worn and missing brass pieces the reason? What are they, and where can I get a replacement?
thanks
Yep, that would probably be the reason you don't have any horn. You'll need a new turn signal stalk or replace the missing brass tab with one from a donor (if you can, never done it). Further, your air bag clock spring is missing a chunk too so that'll need to be replaced also.

Steve

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
is the brass piece part of the clock spring unit? So if I replace the clock spring it fixes that half?
The other piece, that's part of the turn signal stalk?

Any suggestions on where to find the replacement parts? junkyard?

thanks for the help

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yes, the clockspring will fix half of the issue, and you can get them from A3's as well. I keep a bunch around since they're expensive new.

As to the other piece on the turn signal stalk, I have not replaced just the brass piece but I'll bet it's soldered into place, necessitating replacing the whole stalk.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
You'll need to get a clock spring from a car that did not have airbags deployed. When the bags deploy it tends to fry the little connector on the back and you can't hardly get it undone from the old airbag. I've gotten them off before but generally I've found that the connection is melted and brittle.

There's a ton of Mk3 cars that came with airbags so there's no shortage at all, and it's the same regardless of trim level or engine.

The turn signal stalk is also the same as Mk3 so any Jetta from 95/96-99 would have the correct stalk, cruise was standard on Jetta during that period. It might have always been standard, I don't really remember.

Finding the stuff you need shouldn't be difficult at all.

Steve

smos1

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for the information. I hit the JY today and found 4 clock springs and 4 stalks. And they're both extremely easy to remove and reinstall.

As I was going through Jetta's in the JY, alot of parts look very similar to the B4, especially suspension parts. Is there a list somewhere of parts that are compatible?

thanks

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
thanks for the information. I hit the JY today and found 4 clock springs and 4 stalks. And they're both extremely easy to remove and reinstall.

As I was going through Jetta's in the JY, alot of parts look very similar to the B4, especially suspension parts. Is there a list somewhere of parts that are compatible?

thanks
It's hit or miss on that, some parts are and some aren't. Just depends on model etc and what was changed over the years. There's more commonality in the front suspension than in the rear for instance although the rear disc brakes on the B3/B4 and Mk2/Mk3 are essentially all the same. Brake cables obviously are not.

On the front the four cylinder cars are very compatible. The spindle, ball joint, bearing, hub, brake rotor / caliper and drive axles (manual trans) are the same between B4 tdi & Mk3 4 cyl (US import). The upper strut mount / bearing are the same between B4 and Mk3 (1996 up).

It's just one of those things where you have to hit the parts catalog and check it out before going hunting.

Steve