Steering wheel repair?

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
So, as with most MK4s, my steering wheel has seen better days.

Anybody have any success with refurb'ing them?

I have seen the "vinyl and leather" repair kits at Autozone, etc, but I am unsure if they will actually help, or make matters worse.

Regardless, has anyone succeeded in repairing their wheel? I don't want to deal with any janky cover....

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
A used replacement is out of the question because???

I put a nice Mk5 GLI wheel on mine. Wiring instructions are on here somewhere. Google got 'em for me. Just be sure that you get a single stage Mk5 airbag; some have two ignitors and I'd not chance it.
cheers,
Douglas

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I have one that someone wrapped with leather. It is pretty nice.

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
A used one is not out of the question, just haven't come across any that aren't in similarly rough condition.
I've seen some decent 3-spokes, but they lacked the airbag, and I did t want to deal with sourcing one...
I have one that someone wrapped with leather.
I'm curious... Most of the eBay-type wraps leave a lot to be desired. However, if it is truly nice might be worth looking into...

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I peeled all that crap off of mine, and just live with it bare. It's really not bad either. Kind of like the steering wheel in an obs ford or early super duty truck.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
My obs has leather wrapping that's coming off. Big tears in it. Would not recommend for a mkiv ;)

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
A used one is not out of the question, just haven't come across any that aren't in similarly rough condition.
I've seen some decent 3-spokes, but they lacked the airbag, and I did t want to deal with sourcing one...

I'm curious... Most of the eBay-type wraps leave a lot to be desired. However, if it is truly nice might be worth looking into...
Mine I got on here, someone had had it wrapped by a guy that makes motorcycle saddlebags. It looks like the factory leather one.
I should have grabbed the three spoke from the Jetta we scrapped a few days ago. I grabbed a multi function one from a gls, but I plan to put that in my golf.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I got a sew-on leather cover for mine (it was all worn and foamy). Belinous (sp?) was the brand. On Amazon (just a happy customer). They come in many sizes; M3 is the size that fits the four-spoke standard MkIV wheel.

There are two kinds--ones with little holes you sew through, and ones with stitching along the edges you just loop your thread through. On my 02 GTi I had the first kind (different brand though) and it was painful and slow to sew. This time I got the one with the stitching, and it was much easier.

Tirefriar

TDI
Zak, do you mind sharing pictures of your wrapped steering wheel? I’m looking to wrap my 4 spoke. Wrapped a steering wheel in my Bricknose F150 because it was on the thin side but end result was 50/50…

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Wow good job stitching! .... getting around the spokes messed me up ( I wasn't able to get the leather that well formed around the spokes as you did ) ...

I tried that when it was hot out BUT I got the pattern wrong (switched the stitching half way through!) and then when I pulled out the incorrect stitches the string started fraying and got messed up.

Maybe with the cooler weather I'll give it another shot ( The company sent me another roll of string)

Andrew

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
IBW is a GL so it had that hard plastic wheel. Not nice. So I bought an Isotta cover for it. I lke that it's designed to go around the spokes. It's showing some wear, but it's been on there for 18 years and over 400K miles.

Of course they're NLA. I wish I could find something like this for my Passat.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I did see wheel covers available now that go over the spokes like yours, but they were waaaay more expensive.

Thanks for the compliments on the stitching. It is pretty good if I say so myself. No ripples, bunching, or loose bits, though there are some spots where I know I messed up a little. I got black thread so any errors wouldn't show up (you can choose red, grey, or blue iirc). But maybe with a contrasting color it would be easier to see and not mess up? Anyway, for $15 and half an hour, I am more than pleased.