Steering Wheel Alignment/Clocking Questions

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I pulled my steering wheel off for the first time a few days ago to investigate the cruise control stalk. I didnt realize there was a key mark on the steering wheel column and wheel itself so I'm not sure what the baseline position was. However, I lined it back up and now the steering wheel is off center and when driving straight the steering wheel is closer to 1130/530 ie rotated ccw slightly. I can pull the wheel off and index over 1 or 2 notches to offset this and have the wheel at 12/6 when driving straight but not doesn't seem right. If I kept the wheel at its current keyed position (slightly ccw) would an alignment straighten this out or do i need to adjust the wheel position on the steering column?

Here's a pic of the current steering wheel to steering column alignment key

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Technically an alignment would straighten this out since they will set the wheel straight and then adjust the tie rods.

Drclaw

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Technically an alignment would straighten this out since they will set the wheel straight and then adjust the tie rods.
I really wish I knew what the baseline was. I must have not been at the same position, im not sure how else I could have gotten this current condition. I've had multiple alignments done (usually twice a year after swapping on/off winter wheels) because I have a lifetime alignment, but they were all done in the previous condition. I had one done in December. I also installed new tie rod end links, ball joints and sway bar links last year, they were all replaced back in the previous condition ie counted the rotations on the tie rods etc...

When you say "technically and alignment...." is that to imply that this doesnt always occur etc? Would you recommend I leave the wheel where it is and get re aligned or move the steerring wheel?

Edit/update: Called my alignment place. They said they could prob fix. Have an appt for Thursday

Last edited:

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I would leave the wheel the way it is because it lines up with the markings right now. They will just set the steering wheel in a level position and adjust that way. Doesnt take much for it to go off.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've done that a few times - seems the notch in the wheel is always just barely offset from the one on the steering column. Exact alignment of notches seems to be between two teeth, and I'm particularly adept at guessing incorrectly. (This had the wheel perfect centered on recent car.)

I just take the airbag back off, move the SW one notch in the direction I need it to go....problem solved.

Wish there was a fix like that for the power/volume knob on the Mk7 stereo - literally impossible to get it pointed straight up at 12o'clock.

Last edited:

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I have a buddy that hates the radio button not at 12oclock. Especially after I use the car and move it haha.