Steering shake after cv axle replacement

Talon

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon ALH, 2013 tdi sportwagen
Broke the driver's side cv joint had a shop replace the cv axle. After the replacement it has a shake turning right especially. The feeling in the steering wheel is like driving in 4 wheel drive when you steer. Any suggestions, they had the car for 9 days tried a litany of things and nothing changed. 10k miles ago all the struts, springs and bushings were changed. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

afterthisnap

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta wagons, ALH/CJAA
Did they use an oem axle?
Did they mess with any of the engine/tranny mount alignments?

Did the old axle "break" or wear out?
I'd also try something simple like rotating the wheels front to back to see if there is a change in the shake.

Last edited:

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Most aftermarket CV axles for VW's are junk and will vibrate, at least I've never had good luck... then they will wipe out the wheel bearing on that side. I suggest OEM or send your old OEM unit to RAXLES. I put left and right OEM units from IDPARTS in my '05 two years ago.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Did the axle come apart while driving? If so did it damage the inner tie rod? Otherwise as has been already noted aftermarket axles are junk.