Steering rack on my Audi TT -> TDI conversion has failed -

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Folks,

I've got about 80,000 miles on my Audi TT -> TDI conversion. It's my daily driver and a fun car to drive. Coming home from Church on Sunday I noticed the power steering was making noise when I turned the wheel on corners. Checked the power steering reservoir and it was low. Added about 8 ounces of CHF11 power steering fluid. Didn't see any signs of leakage under the car or in the driveway. Drove around and all seemed fine. This morning I was out running errands and noticed the power steering was making noise again. Checked the reservoir and again it was low. Put it up on stands and pulled one of the tie rod end boots off: about a cup of fluid poured out..........

Looks like the steering rack seals have failed. I did a quick check online on part numbers and it looks like the Audi TT and a VW Golf (doaner car) have different racks (darn.....).

Does anyone have recommendations on which brand to replace it with? Or brands to stay away from?

Thanks!

Eric

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
OEM seals.
OEM speck fluid, you wont have this problem again if you do that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Is this a FWD or quattro?

Worldpac shows three different brands for remans available for the FWD. Bosch, Mavel, and AESteering. Not sure who actually makes that rack, probably ZF though. You may try contacting Eriksson Industries and see if they have a source for them. They are a ZF distributor although they are mainly a transmission place but they may be able to help.

Since these are not high failure items, you may try and source a used one too.

Zak3

Veteran Member
TDI
98' Audi A3 8L (from AGR to ARL)
Generally in TT the rack is very short about 2,5 turns end to end.
On standard Golf rack it’s about 3,5 turns end to end.

If you have a sport rack try to repair as they are difficult to find

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Folks,

Thanks for the suggestions. My Audi TT is the front wheel drive version. Not sure if the rack is different between the FWD and the AWD? Overall it has 270,000 total miles on the chassis. I'll try finding a contact number/email for Eriksson Industries. I didn't see an AESteering but did find an AAESteering?

I thought about getting a used rack. There is a local yard that has one, not sure how many miles are on the car/rack. They have a price of $100 listed on car-part.com, but when I called they said $150-$200. I'll have to stop by tomorrow and take a look at it.

I always use OEM spec fluids in all my VWs and the Audi. The problem is when you buy used, you never know what was used in the past.

I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks!

Eric

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
At that price, I'd go the extra for a new or rebuild. They do have rebuild kits for these things, hard to find.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
Folks,

Just an update: Searched all over the internet for a seal kit for my Audi TT steering rack. I found some "possible" kits, but didn't want to spend the money and then find out It wasn't the correct kit.

I ended up buying an new (not remanufactured/rebuilt) rack from Atlantic Automotive Enterprises out of Atlanta.

I removed the failed rack the other day. Really was pretty easy: Disconnect the steering linkage in the car (one 13mm bolt); pop the tie rod ends out of the spindle; loosen the four subframe bolts; lower the subframe with a floor jack; disconnect the two power steering lines; unbolt the rack (four 13mm bolts); rotate the rack and pull it out from the drivers side.

I've got the new rack in and am waiting on new bolts, crush rings for the banjo bolts for the power steering lines, new tie rod ends and a quart of CHF 11s power steering fluid.

Eric

I'm glad I didn't find/buy a seal kit. The rack rod was slight rusted on the ends, which probably would have caused the new seals to fail. The car came from South Carolina and the drove on/near the beach.