Steering Rack Differences?

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Just curious if there are differences between racks for a TDI...GTI/GLI...GT etc? Or is it more of electronics/programing (electric steering) differences? Seems odd if I want to be sporty in my TDI that I can't keep my hands 9/3 or 8/4 w/out getting crossed up.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
The electric steering has different "MAPS" based on what vehicle they installed in. It has been a long time ago, but I remember changing maps in class and the steering going from BMW stiff to Cadillac one finger easy. And I mean so easy you could give steering wheel a spin and it keeps going. Instructor suggested this could be something we could change for, say an elderly person wanting easy steering.

Seems like if there enough interest a tuner could be able to access and load the different maps to fit your liking, but I haven't heard of any of them doing this yet.

It's not until the MkVII GTI that we finally got variably ratio steering racks. Only about 1 and 1/2 turns lock to lock, if memory serves.

Jason

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Some racks allow the change, just poke around in the module. I forget the coding, but ross-tech likely has all the info.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Good info to know guys....a little tighter steering would be welcomed. Thxs!!

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Only way I have seen to customize steering response is on MkVII with DCS or MQB 4motion with terrain control. Never saw anything like that in a MFI controlled car.

Jason

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Was worth a shot. Maybe look on Ross tech site and see what they have to code the module for stiffer steering. Or swap out the modules for another that has that coding.